Le Tour de Yorkshire ***Spoliers***

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Interesting to see some different parcours.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Sanchez drags the others back and LPN goes instantly, TV chases

Some blue striped crow for the Sky haters this.

1km to go

TV goes
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Anyone but Voeckler please.
  • ddraver
    edited May 2015
    LPN from Rosseto and TV

Great stage! Chapeau to all 5
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395
    Sky show Etixx how to win with most numbers in the break! 8)
  • frenchfighter
    Odd sprint.

Quite a lively last ten minutes.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    That was a terrific stage.
  • frenchfighter
    Is that the GC wrapped up then.

profile-02.jpg

Unless this stage is harder than it looks:

profile-03.jpg

Where's Wiggins. MIA. Standard.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Good race. Millar has good, insightful commentary.
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:
    Frenchie/Maca to post in 3...2...
    -
    Where's Wiggins. MIA. Standard.

Frencie Predictable. Standard
    - @ddraver
  • JonnyT
    JonnyT Posts: 10
    Stage 3 is around my stomping ground Frenchie. It is much harder than the profile makes out, lighten up
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    how good was that...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    Good race. Millar has good, insightful commentary.

With DQ, the GCN boys and Rob Hatch I think ES and ITV are finally filling the hole left by Dave Harmon's sudden departure
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Good stuff.

I should be there in Wakefield on Sunday, though if it rains I'll sack it off (so probably won't).
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Cracking watch. Sky consistently entertaining this season, despite their sketchy rubber adhesion.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    JonnyT wrote:
    Stage 3 is around my stomping ground Frenchie. It is much harder than the profile makes out, lighten up

Ok that's good, will tune in then. Hopefully there will be some riders trying to make a mark. After all there are only two riders in this race that are in the top 50 of the WT.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    sub 40km for 174 km..tough
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    sub 40km for 174 km..tough

UK roads are slooow.
  • mididoctors
    they really are... not the best choice of chipper for kittel
  • JonnyT wrote:

Ok that's good, will tune in then. Hopefully there will be some riders trying to make a mark. After all there are only two riders in this race that are in the top 50 of the WT.

The final sprint on Sunday comes immediately after a 1k climb average 10% with a 20% section that isn't even categorised as a climb. Should be fun / carnage...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    Now that, right there, was what we all wish the hilly classics were about.
    A superb stage to watch.
    Great parcour no radios and the uber safe tactical approach that now dominates late April thrown out of the window with gay abandon.
    And this was only the intermediate stage.
    Roll on Sunday.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    Loved that. Great racing, great coverage/commentary and great crowds. Excellent.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • mididoctors
    A superb stage to watch.
    Great parcour no radios and the uber safe tactical approach that now dominates late April thrown out of the window with gay abandon.
    Roll on Sunday.

do you reckon it helps to have a roster of not 2nd tier but maybe just off the top shelf riders who have nothing to lose and everything to gain and a flood of lower riders showing themselves off?

very all in feel to that race
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Watched DQ and MS on Eurosport and taped last 30km of the ITV4 coverage - very different styles indeed. Millar is much more analytical than Matt Stephens. Good effort from two virtual commentating debutants.Did Millar do a race last year somewhere? I know he did a bit of punditry for the Tour after his non-selection.

That said, it's almost like a radio commentary - not much of letting the pictures speak for themselves.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    That was great, the sort of course that the legendary Chas Messenger used to design when the ToB was a proper race. Adam Blythe has just tweeted that it's about time we had a WT race, he's not wrong.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    edited May 2015
    mm1 wrote:
    That was great, the sort of course that the legendary Chas Messenger used to design when the ToB was a proper race. Adam Blythe has just tweeted that it's about time we had a WT race, he's not wrong.

Only thing is that a future WT race means almost no British involvement (bar Sky and any PC team that exists at that time - NFTO perhaps?) and the ToB are on record saying they have zero interest in WT for that reason.

If RideLondon-Surrey had been 1.WT rather than 1.HC, Blythe wouldn't have been able to enter and win - and would likely still be racing in the obscurity of the 3rd tier domestic scene.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    A superb stage to watch.
    Roll on Sunday.

do you reckon it helps to have a roster of not 2nd tier but maybe just off the top shelf riders who have nothing to lose and everything to gain and a flood of lower riders showing themselves off?

very all in feel to that race

It also helps if a team that has the numbers and strength to control the race all the way to the finish lose half the team in a crash late on in the race.
  • ddraver
    It helps even more if it's 100km less far than all the races recently...

I mean no wonder LPNoordhaug looked so frisky, LBL would have barely woken up by the time this one had finished
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Always been my favourite race of the season. This edition is no disappointment.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Big shame for Dunbar. The fans lose out a lot.

Can't believe there are so many people spectating this stage given its 4pm.

Yorkshire folk actually love cycling. Proud :wink: