Paris Roubaix ***Spoilers***

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2015 in Pro race
Thought I would get the thread started today.

The hell of the north, 253.5Km, 27 sections of pave, a velodrome finish and ending in the famous Roubaix showers.

CARTE.jpg

Here is the last 40Km from last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOXGU-kyj-I

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    CCUa0U6WAAAGhjT.jpg
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    So excited already! We have a club ride at 1300 tomorrow then a beer tasting and race watching on the beach!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    My man Maciej Bodnar is going to bosh this like the sexy tinky that he is.

You heard it here first!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    CCUa0U6WAAAGhjT.jpg
    Is that taken from the Ibis Styles in Compiegne?
  • Macaloon would be well advised to steer clear of this months issue of posh Flemish cycling magazine Bahamontes. Its on a "heroes"theme and has a 2 page spread at the back with a big moody photo of Wiggins and a poem! It reads thus

Wiggo knows:
    That focus is everything

Wiggo knows:
    That only winning counts

Wiggo knows:
    That failure is not an option

This is how Wiggo wins:
    The Tour
    Olympic Medals
    The World Time Trial Championship

Everybody knows:
    Next Wiggo wins
    Wins Paris Roubaix
    And he becomes the
    World Hour Record holder

Wiggo,
    Every inch a gentleman
    Hero

Admit it, you've got something in your eye
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Macaloon would be well advised to steer clear of this months issue of posh Flemish cycling magazine Bahamontes.
    Why have the Flemish named a magazine after one of the least Flandrian riders ever?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    So what are people's thoughts on how the race will play out? Will having a really open race mean an epic spectacle or will it be more cagey like Flanders?

I just have a feeling that this race is going to constantly ebb and flow, with twists right up until the final few km.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon would be well advised to steer clear of this months issue of posh Flemish cycling magazine Bahamontes.
    Why have the Flemish named a magazine after one of the least Flandrian riders ever?

There was a big article explaining it in the first one. But I decided to concentrate on translating the 8 pages of Tom Boonen's scars instead
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Milton50 wrote:
    So what are people's thoughts on how the race will play out? Will having a really open race mean an epic spectacle or will it be more cagey like Flanders?

I just have a feeling that this race is going to constantly ebb and flow, with twists right up until the final few km.

Sep and Sagan will ride away from everyone at Carrefour de l'Arbre, get to the velodrome where Sagan will suddenly lose the ability to turn the pedals.

I suspect most teams will try let Sky do everything from early (which they do anyway) but it will be interesting to see if they do anything different. Maybe everyone plays poker and the break succeeds?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Is there a race on this weekend?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    So we have a club ride out to the Dengie peninsula, Essex's answer to Paris Roubaix (See the Tour of the Dengie) A bit of a chain gang then back to mine for Belgian Beer, Frites and the Sean Kelly drinking game whilst we watch the race, can't wait!

It's like the FA cup day without having to watch Football :-)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Jared Gruber photoblog. Is that a thing? A photoblog?

http://www.yarak.cc/remembering-roubaix
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    We've got a 25m TT, the weather is going to be Sh!t and Little Pete will muller everyone anyway...
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Personally if I see one big death or glory style attack from Wiggo I'll be happy, just to see what happens if he puts 100% in and hopes for the best.
  • Yellow Peril
    jam1e wrote:
    Personally if I see one big death or glory style attack from Wiggo I'll be happy, just to see what happens if he puts 100% in and hopes for the best.

I really hope he can pull off a win
    @JaunePeril

• EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I get the feeling it will be edgy, like Flanders, without Boonen and Cancellara there as the figureheads around which everyone can ride their race.

Quick Step still don't look like they know who they're riding for; let alone the tactics they'll employ in a given race. Sky do too much, as always. Lotto-Soudal are the only cohesive unit but they have don't have a capable winner, just nearly-men. Bit like Sep really, except he's a one man team.

I think Sky will try to back off which will result in everyone looking at each other. So, then, either the break will stay away or Quick Step will pull before going crazy and eventually begin attacking each other before someone from another team nips in for the win - Sagan, Degenkolb, Kristoff, van Avermaet? Someone who can sprint.

As much as I'd like Wiggo to win or battle valiantly, I suspect he'll put in a dig - grimace and all - which will quickly get reeled in and we'll all end up thinking 'was that it?' On the other hand a Boonen-style launch-and-solo with 50/60 to go would make good viewing! Stannard and Thomas are able partners in crime.
  • Museeuw thinks he can. Who am I to argue?

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    I get the feeling it will be edgy, like Flanders, without Boonen and Cancellara there as the figureheads around which everyone can ride their race.

Quick Step still don't look like they know who they're riding for; let alone the tactics they'll employ in a given race. Sky do too much, as always. Lotto-Soudal are the only cohesive unit but they have don't have a capable winner, just nearly-men. Bit like Sep really, except he's a one man team.

I think Sky will try to back off which will result in everyone looking at each other. So, then, either the break will stay away or Quick Step will pull before going crazy and eventually begin attacking each other before someone from another team nips in for the win - Sagan, Degenkolb, Kristoff, van Avermaet? Someone who can sprint.

As much as I'd like Wiggo to win or battle valiantly, I suspect he'll put in a dig - grimace and all - which will quickly get reeled in and we'll all end up thinking 'was that it?' On the other hand a Boonen-style launch-and-solo with 50/60 to go would make good viewing! Stannard and Thomas are able partners in crime.

I think that's a reasonable assessment. My pick is Van Avermaet on the basis of the infinite monkey theory.
    @JaunePeril

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Well he's my man apparently, so obviously he can win.

Can't win a Paris Roubaix without being top 10 prior and all that.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Problem Wiggins has is that he's probably going to be the most marked man since Cancellara in the 2011 P-R that Vansummeren won, from the break. For me it's either a crafty, 'clingy' sprinter or the break, rather than a strong-man victory.

Would love to see him do it though. Has to be bold... which is not very Sky...
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    RichN95 wrote:
    Jared Gruber photoblog. Is that a thing? A photoblog?

http://www.yarak.cc/remembering-roubaix

definately a race made for black & white
  • Yellow Peril
    Well he's my man apparently, so obviously he can win.

Can't win a Paris Roubaix without being top 10 prior and all that.

A "my man" win at this year's P-R represents the absolute Gold Standard in "My-Manness"
    @JaunePeril

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:

Trendy w*nkers I suspect.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Trendy w*nkers I suspect.

This. It has a definite whiff of Rouleur

@gietvangent
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    For me it's either a crafty, 'clingy' sprinter or the break, rather than a strong-man victory.

I agree with this except I think the move will go late, like last year late. There'll be a series of attacks which get reeled in, but eventually everyone will look around to see who is going to chase and that will be enough for the attack to stick.

To be fair, if Wiggo has the legs then this is definitely the kind of race he could win.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Is this live on Eurosport?
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815

Is Sep VanMarke using bar-top cyclocross brakes?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    curium wrote:

Is Sep VanMarke using bar-top cyclocross brakes?

Probably.

Not uncommon in P-R.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    For those without Eurospurt but are blessed with living in or near Wales....then S4c will have live coverage from 3:10 this afternoon. Commentary will be in Welsh but there may be English commentary available via red button type features..there often is when they cover rugby.

Mind for a 3:10 start it'll probably all be over.....but s4c need to get some Sunday league football in first.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    Gazzetta

***** Kristoff
    **** Degenkolb, Terpstra,
    *** Sagan, Wiggins

l'Equipe

***** Kristoff
    **** Terpstra, Boom
    *** Stybar, Degenkolb, Vanmarcke
    ** Wiggins, van Avermaet, Vandenbergh
    * Sagan, Roelandts, Thomas

There will be a significant breeze throughout the race, from the South West, which
    should mean the potential for crosswinds over much of the course.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.