Paris Roubaix ***Spoilers***

1202122232426»

Comments

• adr82 wrote:
    look at the stretch between sectors 20 and 16 for example.

Such as just before Arenberg

IIRC, a train was stopped at that crossing a few years ago, as it's such a rural line (or it was a freight train), something like that
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Crampeur wrote:
    CCa41vJW4AAAZa7.jpg:large

According to the Lotto-Jumbo DS, Sep got given a neutral service wheel from 1987

At least one rider rode part of the race with a proper wheel on his bike. :D

DD.

looks more like he picked it up from a fan than the neutral service. Great to see Mavic using this as an opportunity to advertise their latest products
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Even the old guys were taking the pish with the level crossings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59iDYFlOgUo&app=desktop

Paris-Nice 1937.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Last 120km or so of the race:
    https://youtu.be/6M1KpnbDuug
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Via Inner Ring:

"In the 1961 Tour de France Emmanuel Busto climbed over a closed level crossing gate. Just as he was astride it, it opened, hoisting him high"

CCiy0QpWIAAVxwO.jpg

Even full width barriers couldn't stop Merckx

CCiz4X7WMAEvJT2.jpg

I think the point is that regardless of the rules and punishments, riders will always go through level crossings becuase they're not thinking straight (and it's an uncommon occurance). So it has to be prevented, either by stopping the riders more effectively, or by stopping the train.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ThomThom wrote:
    Just got home to watch the race.. And what happens.. My man Lars manages to crash is the exact same bloody corner as last year's Tour. Jesus..

P-R 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISncdilII7A

Tour 2014
    FlickeringCandidIrishwolfhound.gif

I thought it was the same corner as last time. But wasn't sure. Poor Lars.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ThomThom wrote:
    Just got home to watch the race.. And what happens.. My man Lars manages to crash is the exact same bloody corner as last year's Tour.

It's not the same corner. The Roubaix crash was at Pont Thibault a Ennevelin and the Tour crash was at Bersee.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Good point
    The riders themselves are not without blame either, of course. In a spring marked by calls for an extreme weather protocol and in the same week that the peloton rightly protested against the perilous course lay-out at the Tour of the Basque Country, it was counter-productive to their cause for so many riders to risk life and limb by breaking a long-established rule to ride into the path of an oncoming train.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    3_20150412_%C2%A9BrakeThrough-Media_A10O6574.jpg

Would those be the 'interesting' shoes of my Flanders Man Adam Blythe?
  • frenchfighter
    Yep.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    He should be shot (with a water pistol, this is not a death threat) for those.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Bit corporate for my taste.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Beer handup for Iljo, courtesy of my club
    : http://youtu.be/RDZK1zLXsRE
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Saw one of your club banners in the later sectors.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Beer handup for Iljo, courtesy of my club
    : http://youtu.be/RDZK1zLXsRE

That's brilliant!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pross wrote:
    Saw one of your club banners in the later sectors.

They made it onto the Sky propaganda film too. Giving Iljo a beer in a cobbled classic is like Gent cycling nirvana.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Van Avermaet just admitted to being that last BMC rider to get across the closed railway crossing
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    FJS wrote:
    Van Avermaet just admitted to being that last BMC rider to get across the closed railway crossing

Two year ban for that :D.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The_Boy wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Two year ban for that :D.

Tactical, if UCI made an expample and banned him, or took points away etc he knows he's already out of action for the next 2 years anyway.
  • FJS
    There were others who also crossed well after the police had made it clear they couldn't. Would be a bit unfair to single him out, although he was the most obviously illegal
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah you're right, but to me it's a pre-emptive strike, to mean that if the UCI do take action (which I seriously doubt they will more than some fines), it means that BMC wouldn't be two riders down, assuming GVA get the doping ban.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Highlights currently on ITV4.
  • FJS
    thegibdog wrote:
    Highlights currently on ITV4.
    2 weeks later? What's the point? Or was it more race analysis?
  • Part of ITV's deal for the Tour de France highlights means they show highlights of ASO events, usually about two weeks after the event.