Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

1868788899092»

• edward.sedward.s Posts: 121
    I think I'll stick with my favorite DT comp spokes. I'll replicate the 'aero gains' I might have got from some gucci spokes by not eating pies for a month and having a severe haircut :-)
  • paulbnixpaulbnix Posts: 445
    edited 21 February
    Hi, I've also posted this in the MTB forum.

I'm building a new wheel for my son's Whyte mtb - the original hub is shot.
    We are using a Hope Hub and am not sure of the best rim to use.
    He is using a 2.4" tyre.

These are some we found :
    Stans No Tubes Arch MK3 - internal 26mm - weight 426g
    DT Swiss EX 471 - internal 25mm - weight 500g
    DT Swiss EX 511 - internal 30mm - weight 535g

Lighter is better but what is the best width for his setup?

I noted in a review of the DT Swiss EX 511 that it comes with Squorx Pro Head Aluminium Nipples 2.0mm and PHR washers.

Are these worth using because it would mean my nipple driver would not work?
    Answering my own question we have decided on the DT Swiss EX 471.
    Looks like it comes with nipples and washers so I’ve just got to get the spoke length right 😀
  • Its these anecdotes that stop me using pillar as well. I dont have the facilities to test batches of spokes so I have to trust the the QC of the manufacturer. Theres only two brands I trust in that. Sapim.and dt swiss.
    I've now realised my home made wheel truing stand is qr only.
    Has anyone used one of these - they are about £10 from Amazon.

• daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,403
    Can anyone recommend a wheel builder to me from personal experience?

I'm looking for probably 20-30mm carbon clincher rims, with purple hubs and nipples.
    I want lightness, ideally around 1300-1450g IF possible, as would be for a climbing bike.

Budget would be sub 1k, and if they would take a c2w voucher, all the better, and 'budget' could then be shifted to £1600 if that would allow the magic to happen!

I have googled, and there are many sites & companies out there, but a recommendation from someone who has had wheels built to a similar lightweight spec, or thinks the builder they used could deliver, I'd be delighted to hear.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123mrb123 Posts: 2,229
    daniel_b said:

Can anyone recommend a wheel builder to me from personal experience?

I'm looking for probably 20-30mm carbon clincher rims, with purple hubs and nipples.
    I want lightness, ideally around 1300-1450g IF possible, as would be for a climbing bike.

Budget would be sub 1k, and if they would take a c2w voucher, all the better, and 'budget' could then be shifted to £1600 if that would allow the magic to happen!

I have googled, and there are many sites & companies out there, but a recommendation from someone who has had wheels built to a similar lightweight spec, or thinks the builder they used could deliver, I'd be delighted to hear.

Have a look at DCR. He did a nice build for me.

His own DCR hubs (based on Bitex) can be had in purple. They're pretty light and decent value. Obviously he will build with more boutique hubs too, though not sure of any would be available in purple.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 6,969
    Malc Borg at cycleclinic. Built me some Borg 30,s.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 24,039
    Hope makes purple hubs, but they are not light... not sure how many builders are equipped to take C2W vouchers though AND of course most employers only issue the vouchers for bikes or safety equipment, not wheels
  • yellowv2yellowv2 Posts: 132
    Malcolm Borg @ the cycleclinic built two sets for me with another on the way.
  • I dont do shallow carbon for road bikes. All those that email me about them get my blunt opinion that they are wasting there money and not utilising the potential of carbon ti have deep aero rims without a weight penalty. If that does kot put them off I dont know what will.

For mtb then shallow carbon works because you can have ultralight hookless rims.

For road bikes you need hooked rims regardless of what some manufacturers think and say ( ask a tyre manufacturers) and therefore since those ultralight rims are not possible with bead hooks and they have to be robust enough to take 100 psi at least then you might as well go aero or save your money.

Sadly this kind of blunt logic is not used and people say I want this and just look for someone to give them what they whether it's any good or not.

30mm dèp alloy rims are about 500g and a lot cheaper. Therefore the carbon option is truly an exercise in form over function. Wheels I think should be form and function with an emphasis on function.

That's why you'll never see a 30mm deep carbon rims for rim or disc brake road bikes on my shop
    I mean never no matter how well it would sell.

• yellowv2yellowv2 Posts: 132
    That being said Malcolm does offer a couple of lightweight aluminium rim wheels which would meet your weight preference.
  • casatikidcasatikid Posts: 215
    I’m looking at buying a set of wheels from Spokesman wheels. Great reviews and I’ve had clear and concise information from the owner.
    I’m going to order in person once this bloody Coronavirus is clear.
    Anyone using Spokesman wheels?
    paulbnix said:

I've now realised my home made wheel truing stand is qr only.
    Has anyone used one of these - they are about £10 from Amazon.

I have one and it works fine with my Park-clone wheel jig https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s159p3634/BIKE-HAND-Wheel-Truing-Stand-YC-512NB
    casatikid said:

I’m looking at buying a set of wheels from Spokesman wheels. Great reviews and I’ve had clear and concise information from the owner.
    I’m going to order in person once this bloody Coronavirus is clear.
    Anyone using Spokesman wheels?

I am riding a pair of spokesman-built Carbonal rims on Hope hubs, built 28/32h as I am a big boy. Very happy with them, checked the tensions and true when I got them and they were well within the promised specification and after 1000 miles plus they are still tight and true.
  • casatikidcasatikid Posts: 215
    Edward.s . Thanks so much for that. I’m torn between Spokesman wheels ( rim brakes) with a twelve month warranty OR the Prime Blacks 38 or 50 mms.
    They have a two year warranty?
  • shortfallshortfall Posts: 1,891
    casatikid said:

Edward.s . Thanks so much for that. I’m torn between Spokesman wheels ( rim brakes) with a twelve month warranty OR the Prime Blacks 38 or 50 mms.

I'd check the small print on the Prime warranty if that's the deal breaker for you because the Spokesman wheels are likely to use superior components that are also easier to source in the unlikely event of a failure.
    casatikid said:

Go handbuilt and just forget about warranty cover. I suspect that either will go the distance any way in terms of wear etc, but if you damage one then the handbuilt will be easier to get parts for/repair etc.

Also, if you phone spokesman he'll build you whatever you want so they will be totally bespoke. If you buy direct then he is very reasonable and knocks off the fees you'd pay via Ebay.

Also, you'll be keeping a small business in trade rather than wiggle, which has to be good, no?

If I'd not taught myself to build wheels after buying the carbonals from Spokesman, I'd have continued to purchase from him.