Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

1888990919294»

• ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 25,285
    I think the DT 460 are very good rims for the money, but I would not advise the disc ones... they are lighter and lose a lot of tension when you install the tubeless tyre. If you are on disc/tubeless, then go for the Forza. If you are on rim brakes, then DT 460 are ace
  • wolfsbane2kwolfsbane2k Posts: 2,979
    Ok, back to "needing some new wheels"..

Can someone recommend a parts list for a 700c 12x142mm through axle, non-tubeless for a rider, bike, and luggage getting on for 150kg

Ta!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Ok, back to "needing some new wheels"..

Can someone recommend a parts list for a 700c 12x142mm through axle, non-tubeless for a rider, bike, and luggage getting on for 150kg

Ta!

Hope RS4 CL hub, steel freehub 36 holes, Archetype rim, Sapim strong spokes... built 3 or 4 cross
  • kleinstrokerkleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    edited 22 November
    Glad to see this thread is still going strong.

I want to convert a set of Hunt 50mm Road Rims with worn braking surface to disc hub. Does it matter what type of hubs I use, straight pull or flanged? Any recommendations on where to look ?
    Should also mention, both are 24h

Thanks

Glad to see this thread is still going strong.

I want to convert a set of Hunt 50mm Road Rims with worn braking surface to disc hub. Does it matter what type of hubs I use, straight pull or flanged? Any recommendations on where to look ?
    Should also mention, both are 24h

Thanks

Building on a straight pull hub without some sort of Jig to hold your rim and hub in place is not easy. Calculating spoke length is not easy either... for these reasons, I would go for a traditional drilled hub
    Maybe I should have said, but I'm not confident enough to try myself on deep carbon rims, so probably LBS would do the building.
    Are Pacenti hubs any good as traditional, using j type spokes?
    They are just rebadged Bitex hubs, so I'd say yes
    Cheers Ugo!
  • paulbnixpaulbnix Posts: 486
    I have just bought some DT Swiss RR 411 rims to build onto Novatec hubs.

As you can see from the picture the rim is asymmetric.
    I am waiting until both hubs and rims arrive before ordering the spokes.
    I use the Wheelpro calculator https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

This is my first build with an asymmetric rim so I am checking what values I put into the "ASYM" and "Width between holes" fields in the spoke length calculator.

I haven't found any DT Swiss documentation that specifies the ASYM value.