Handbuilt wheels... the big thread

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    Stans 340 and 24 rear is not a good combination.

I think you need a stiffer rim and 28 spokes. There are cheaper hubs than dura ace of course
    left the forum March 2023
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    primalcarl wrote:
    Pacenti SL 23 is the stiffest tubeless rim out there. Stans 340 is the "softest"... in between you will find many others, like Velocity A 23, DT RR 440, RR 460.

Where would HED Ardennes/Belgiums fit on the stiffness scale?
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • ugo.santalucia
    cattytown wrote:
    primalcarl wrote:
    Pacenti SL 23 is the stiffest tubeless rim out there. Stans 340 is the "softest"... in between you will find many others, like Velocity A 23, DT RR 440, RR 460.

Where would HED Ardennes/Belgiums fit on the stiffness scale?

the 25 mm HED plus would top the scale
  • Rocketm0n
    Rocketm0n Posts: 14
    dt swiss rr440 rim. The rim is only 1mm wider ineternally than your ambrosio rims

That's really interesting. I've two wheelsets with Excellight rims and wondered about a change to the R440 when one pair is worn, to gain benefit from the new wider rim fashion. That's a lot of hype for 1mm*!

I found this useful roundup of available Alu rims https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews-an ... m-roundup/ No UK prices but all the tech specs, and a brief write up on each.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Boardersraodie the dt swiss rr440 does not fall into the class of a wider rim at 16mm jnternal width. Rims that are 17mm or wider internally start to make a noticeable difference. Ugo sums up the rr440 well except i have never noticed a shallow rim handlkng any better than a deeper one, maybe that me.

There is a rkm that should be thw stiffest of them alll, the kinlin xc31t. 31mm deep 490g and tubeless ckmpitable. First ones arrived this week from the distributor. Looks good but yet to build one. Us wheelbuilders seem to like it though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    I built a 24 spoke rear stans alpha 340 once with sapim race spokes and it is acceptably stiff but thats it. Really 28 spokes is needed or a stiffer rim. Like all stans offerings there always seems to be better made by some one else.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Rocketm0n and thecycleclinic, thanks for your info - it's an interesting thread this one!
  • Spooked
    Spooked Posts: 90
    I've just built up my kinlin xr 31t. It's been a really nice first build fairly easy other than getting confused with my spoke pattern but I put that down to tiredness.

It's nice a stiff and my front rim which is 20 hole came in at 483g

Only thing I'm not too keen on is the gloss finish and where the rim is joined it's not perfectly smooth. Other than that im really happy.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Spooked wrote:
    Only thing I'm not too keen on is the gloss finish and where the rim is joined it's not perfectly smooth

Sounds liek a Kinlin then... :wink:
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I built a 24 spoke rear stans alpha 340 once with sapim race spokes and it is acceptably stiff but thats it. Really 28 spokes is needed or a stiffer rim. Like all stans offerings there always seems to be better made by some one else.

I built up a set with Stans 340 with 20 DT Revolution spokes radial at the front, 28 2X on the rear. I'm not a very heavy rider, and don't notice any flex in the rear wheel, but the front is a bit "soft". It doesn't move enough to touch the brake pads, but there is definitely more movement than my other wheels. Should have gone for 24 spokes.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Very good deal for those who are looking for a solid, top notch rear disc hub... I've had mine for 18 months and it's a superb hub, with the fastest engagement and one of the best freehubs out there... 9-10 speed only... at 75 quid including delivery, it's a steal!

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-D542SB.asp
    Been thinking of building up a set of disc wheels for a future switch to a disc frame for commuting purposes. Any solid (preferably wide) rims that you'd suggest for these purposes?
  • ugo.santalucia
    patrickf wrote:
    Very good deal for those who are looking for a solid, top notch rear disc hub... I've had mine for 18 months and it's a superb hub, with the fastest engagement and one of the best freehubs out there... 9-10 speed only... at 75 quid including delivery, it's a steal!

Been thinking of building up a set of disc wheels for a future switch to a disc frame for commuting purposes. Any solid (preferably wide) rims that you'd suggest for these purposes?

Cheap, expensive? Commuting only?
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    patrickf wrote:

I'm no wheel builder I think the Pacenti SL 25 would fit the build.
    Ugo wrote:-
    http://whosatthewheel.com/2014/12/27/ge ... nti-sl-25/
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    These modern "wide" rims - how do they work with very close clearance frames - I've got Miche 707 wheels on my Cinelli, which has around 4mm all round clearance on 23mm Michelin tyres - would a wider set of rims "fit" if I went handbuilt?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • cycleclinic
    I think you will be fine but clearance will be close. You will have to use a a 23mm tyre and not a conti as they come up quite all. A vittoria would work better but your tyre choice would be more limited.

I have the same issue with my sannino 25mm wide rims shod with 23mm vittoria corsa sc tyres. Clearance is very close. The frame is from 1991 and i think it was made with 19mm to 22mm tyres in mind.
  • patrickf
    patrickf wrote:

Commuting only, so nothing too fancy but stiff and reliable.
  • ugo.santalucia
    patrickf wrote:
    patrickf wrote:

Commuting only, so nothing too fancy but stiff and reliable.

A few options not horribly pricey

Velocity chukker NMSW 32 H £ 47: heavy but indestructible... quite deep
    Velocity A 23 NMSD 32 H £ 52: lighter, tubeless, quite shallow
    Archetype 32 H £ 48-55
    Stans Grail 28 H £ 66 at Wiggle: fantastic rim and at that price definitely a steal... tubeless
  • patrickf
    A few options not horribly pricey

Velocity chukker NMSW 32 H £ 47: heavy but indestructible... quite deep
    Velocity A 23 NMSD 32 H £ 52: lighter, tubeless, quite shallow
    Archetype 32 H £ 48-55
    Stans Grail 28 H £ 66 at Wiggle: fantastic rim and at that price definitely a steal... tubeless
    I'm warming to the idea of tubeless and those Stans rims look very nice.

Thanks Ugo!
  • ugo.santalucia
    patrickf wrote:

Thanks Ugo!

It's a very good price for a tubeless rim of that quality. Not sure road tubeless is a cost effective way of commuting, but you can always convert cheaper touring tyres to run without inners at low to medium pressure
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I think you will be fine but clearance will be close. You will have to use a a 23mm tyre and not a conti as they come up quite all. A vittoria would work better but your tyre choice would be more limited.

I have the same issue with my sannino 25mm wide rims shod with 23mm vittoria corsa sc tyres. Clearance is very close. The frame is from 1991 and i think it was made with 19mm to 22mm tyres in mind.

So I'm stuck with 23mm?

Would I be better going with a narrower rim and wider tyres?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    SecretSam wrote:

So I'm stuck with 23mm?

Would I be better going with a narrower rim and wider tyres?

It won't make any difference. If you want to run bigger tyres, get a frame that takes them. If you want to run even bigger tyres, get a cyclocross frame
  • patrickf
    patrickf wrote:

Thanks Ugo!

It's a very good price for a tubeless rim of that quality. Not sure road tubeless is a cost effective way of commuting, but you can always convert cheaper touring tyres to run without inners at low to medium pressure
    What makes tubeless not cost effective for commuting? Is it generally higher cost of tubeless tyres?
  • ugo.santalucia
    patrickf wrote:
    What makes tubeless not cost effective for commuting? Is it generally higher cost of tubeless tyres?

Yes

You can buy decent road tyres for 15 quid a pop these days... while in the best case scenario tubeless will cost you twice as much
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    I've got a set of training wheels that the rims have worn out and need replaced.

They are built on to a set of Hope Pro II hubs 28/32s

I've seen these DT Swiss and wondered about opinions on a set of these rims?

http://www.buckinghambikes.com/dt-swiss ... wgodkE8AOA

and rebuild them onto the Hope Hubs.

What spokes with them and where to get them from?

What should I be looking at for a rebuild cost wise?

Cheers
  • ugo.santalucia
    I've got a set of training wheels that the rims have worn out and need replaced.

Cheers

Go for them... spokes will largely depends on your weight... most likely lighter at the front. Labour... varies, typically between 40-60 pounds per set... normally on the higher side if you supply the rims
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341

Cheers

Go for them... spokes will largely depends on your weight... most likely lighter at the front. Labour... varies, typically between 40-60 pounds per set... normally on the higher side if you supply the rims

Thanks Ugo, the H Plus Archetypes you built me are still going well on 20/24 and at under 65kg I'm not going to put much stress on the 28/32s :lol: What spokes would you recommend for this rebuild?
  • ugo.santalucia

Cheers

Thanks Ugo, the H Plus Archetypes you built me are still going well on 20/24 and at under 65kg I'm not going to put much stress on the 28/32s :lol: What spokes would you recommend for this rebuild?

Laser and D-Light
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    There isn't a spreadsheet or similar somewhere detailing, for example, the most popular rims (with or without brake track), spokes, hubs (disc brakes or not) including the pros and cons of each which one would be able to use to get an initial idea of what sort of components one would like before asking for more direct advice? I'm looking for something like 28H/32H, wide but shallow rim with disc brake hubs and, black spokes that could be described as a touring wheelset, but I'm not entirely sure where to start.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    Englander wrote:
    There isn't a spreadsheet or similar somewhere detailing, for example, the most popular rims (with or without brake track), spokes, hubs (disc brakes or not) including the pros and cons of each which one would be able to use to get an initial idea of what sort of components one would like before asking for more direct advice? I'm looking for something like 28H/32H, wide but shallow rim with disc brake hubs and, black spokes that could be described as a touring wheelset, but I'm not entirely sure where to start.

Start by Hope and Archetype if you can afford the combination
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    You save money buying Hope's as well, for commuting on shared paths, because you won't need a bell.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.