Clarkson

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,623
    Clarkson has tweeted that he's not heard anything.

So, pretty poor form for a) the director of Radio to comment and b) for someone to have leaked the outcome to the press.

One might conclude that the BBC, if the above (b) has happened, are in breach of employment law.
    Or c) Clarkson has heard but is being a tw@t/ more of a tw@t.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    seanoconn wrote:
    Clarkson has tweeted that he's not heard anything.

So, pretty poor form for a) the director of Radio to comment and b) for someone to have leaked the outcome to the press.

One might conclude that the BBC, if the above (b) has happened, are in breach of employment law.
    Or c) Clarkson has heard but is being a tw@t/ more of a tw@t.

I guess we'll see. Whatever the outcome the Beeb haven't dealt well with this. From the cancellation of episodes (not just suspension), to the comments about the matter being Saville esque. Plenty of ammunition for Clarkson regardless of what he did.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Prob. on the phone to May/Hammond inviting them (or not) to his next lucrative venture
    M.Rushton
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Chris Evans is flatly denying he is going to present the next series.

he must be the....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    :lol::lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RideOnTime
    He would be ideal. He likes his motors... and he's a bit of a c@ck. perfect.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,684
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Only a bit. Has he improved in recent times?
  • RideOnTime
    Not saying I don't like the guy.
    He can be quite entertaining.
  • mrushton
    He's better suited to the radio imo. It all went a bit crazy when he was juggling tv and radio on his way up.
    M.Rushton
  • ddraver
    So has he been Sacked or Not had his contact renewed?
    - @ddraver
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Veronese68 wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Only a bit. Has he improved in recent times?

I have always found him irritating, look at the One Show on a Friday. Get Brian Johnson in, why aye.
  • mrushton
    it won't be renewed. Perfect for everyone except the accountants. JC's agent prob just collating the offers (altho' prob got one sorted last week)

Brian Johnson!! He had the car programme on F-view and loves the hi-performance stuff. Ageing rocker, good sense of humour and with one of the biggest bands ever. How could he fail?
    M.Rushton
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    DJ58 wrote:

I like the poll they have on that:

DO YOU AGREE THAT JEREMY CLARKSON SHOULD BE SACKED?
    Absolutely - he deserves to lose his job
    No - he should be let to continue on Top Gear

I think they have phrased it to steer people to answer yes, and the no answer doesn't even make sense!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    DJ58 wrote:

Sadly that piece of journalism is full of holes.
    I would love Chris Evans to do the show though, he is not only understanding of cars, new and old but he has a rapper with people, he has never let himself become more important than the people. This has been proven on the various times we have met at Sporting Bears where he, along with others allow people to take passenger rides in their cars with the money going to charity.
    Most people on earth with his cars wouldn't let people see them yet alone drive them on the roads to events and allow people to sit and be driven in them.
    Guy is amazing really.
    Living MY dream.
  • ddraver
    Does anyone think the BBC will continue to have a Car Based Sunday Night Program (whatever it's called) after this?

I can't see it to be honest
    - @ddraver
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    ddraver wrote:
    Does anyone think the BBC will continue to have a Car Based Sunday Night Program (whatever it's called) after this?

I can't see it to be honest

Probably not, even though it made them money the PC brigade at the BBC are probably happy to be rid of Clarkson and TG.

Any new car based programme will be more like the original TG, Woollard, Goffey, Barker, Ripon, Edmonds and be a pipe and slippers, let's review affordable cars for the masses and report on motoring issues type format.
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Okay he's toast.

Quick - lock the thread and throw away the key.
    tick - tick - tick
  • VTech
    metronome wrote:
    Okay he's toast.

Quick - lock the thread and throw away the key.

It was certain from the time the argument happened he was finished. It was exactly what he wanted.
    The BBC openly suggesting that they are not renewing his contract is actually very poor on their part, they have been trying to get him and the others to sign for a long time, JC DID NOT SIGN.

Its like having a footballer worth millions, it is vital you do not let the contract run out, you will never see a multi million pound footballer with 1 month left on his contract unless he wants that.
    The reasons are clear and incredibly simple.

1) If they oddest really want him they can still sell him (in case of TG the show)
    2) If the contract runs out the employee is free to leave of his own accord, usually without clauses.
    Living MY dream.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    His employment contract is one thing.

It really depends on the non compete clauses, if any, which are in the sale contract of his and Wilmans previous company to the BBC?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ddraver
    well that says "contract will not be renewed..."
    - @ddraver
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    shame, shows what the BBC care about not only their licence paying audience but perhaps more importantly their accounts.
    i do not believe JC did this deliberately, who the heck wants a rep for violence? and if N Yorks Police get their way, JC could end up with a criminal record and possibly unable to travel to the states!
  • VTech
    mamba80 wrote:
    shame, shows what the BBC care about not only their licence paying audience but perhaps more importantly their accounts.
    i do not believe JC did this deliberately, who the heck wants a rep for violence? and if N Yorks Police get their way, JC could end up with a criminal record and possibly unable to travel to the states!

A lot of what has been written in the media is balls.
    It was nothing like what has been written and I'm shocked the BBC have simply allowed it to end with them not renewing a contract that JC has done everything in his power for the past 6 months not to sign anyway.
    Living MY dream.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019
    Well having read the summary of the report nobody can seriously believe that Clarkson did this deliberately to engineer some outcome. His behaviour has been increasingly erratic and whilst I don't pretend to know why - there are many possible reasons from plain arrogance, drink, mental illness and others - his reputation has been damaged. This doesn't benefit him financially or in other ways - he is starting to look increasingly like a figure of fun - yes a rich successful figure of fun maybe but that is not down to him making racist remarks and assaulting people.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    VTech wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

A lot of what has been written in the media is balls.
    It was nothing like what has been written and I'm shocked the BBC have simply allowed it to end with them not renewing a contract that JC has done everything in his power for the past 6 months not to sign anyway.

Does it take a lot of power not to sign a contract? Blimey - I'm thinking of the hundreds, no thousands of contracts I haven't signed ... I must have loads of power ... :D
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    regardless of your views of the media, Vtech, JC has potentially allowed himself to get a criminal record and as you say, he is a clever guy, so why would he not have thought of that? if you are correct???

this just smacks (geddit?) of a tired JC pee d of with filming, hungary and losing his rag, it escalates and punches are thrown, and no doubt JC very much regrets what he has done.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,118
    Unsurprising.

Interesting to see how Cameron's changed his tune, from "he's my mate and I love the programme, wouldn't it be a shame if he went" to it being "unacceptable behaviour".

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Can't believe he's been sacked...

I mean, what's the world coming to when you can't punch a work colleague in the face and threaten to get him sacked!

Next they'll be saying no recreational drugs on lunch breaks...

Obviously the BBC have got this totally wrong
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • mrushton
    I find it strange that the argument escalated in this way. Surely someone could have stepped in and pulled Clarkson away. The producer had been on TG for 10 years so they must have been aware of Clarkson having issues. Vtech says someone he knows witnessed the altercation - so what actually happened? In an interview tonight, May when asked about returning to TG said it wasn't that simple, they were a package,
    M.Rushton