Clarkson

Comments

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Slowmart wrote:
    Personally I'd to see how Jodie Kidd step in as a guest presenter and cycle through presenters.

It seems to me a role rather tailored for Gordon Ramsey...

Or Sir Les Patterson.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,081
    Slowmart wrote:
    Personally I'd to see how Jodie Kidd step in as a guest presenter and cycle through presenters.

It seems to me a role rather tailored for Gordon Ramsey...

Or Sir Les Patterson.

Or Graham Norton.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    VTech wrote:
    Written yesterday in the daily mail

There you go then.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    passed a news-stand earlier and oh, the new edition of The Radio Times has 'The Stig on Clarkson' as the cover story. So a BBC publication is now using the story to generate sales.
    M.Rushton
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    edited March 2015
    It's not just Clarkson... it's the combination of the three... individually none of them is brilliant, but when you put them together the blokiness just works. All the best episodes are those when the three of them are involved in some kind of activity.
    The parts where only one or two of them act are often mediocre.

This is a good point, so if Clarkson/Wilman go I can't see how the show could carry on in it's present format.
    Guest presenters may work as a stop gap, however I think the viewing figures would go down rapidly and the show would be cancelled.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    mrushton wrote:
    passed a news-stand earlier and oh, the new edition of The Radio Times has 'The Stig on Clarkson' as the cover story. So a BBC publication is now using the story to generate sales.

Yeah, I saw this and thought it ironic too! :shock:
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    They are two of the old stages, Perry and Ben, neither having driven for the show for 4 years at least. The current "few" on many occasions don't even meet JC or the team, quite ironic considering how the show is presented.
    They also often get notice of features with a day or so notice and in almost all cases their findings are ignored.
    Living MY dream.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    VTech wrote:
    They are two of the old stages, Perry and Ben, neither having driven for the show for 4 years at least. The current "few" on many occasions don't even meet JC or the team, quite ironic considering how the show is presented.
    They also often get notice of features with a day or so notice and in almost all cases their findings are ignored.

are you the Stig?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,684
    I have to agree with Vtech on TG as a show. The completely pointless destruction and the amount of waste really does bother me and I don't think it adds that much to the show. I don't watch it much any more as it's too irritating for me now, but there was one a couple of years ago in which they drove a Renault Clio into the sea off a dock. Would the show have made any less money if they'd managed to stop right by the edge?
    But, as others have said he and I are not the target audience. It's merely entertainment for the masses with a bit of a car theme to it. Accuracy is clearly not as important as entertainment.
    Regarding other presenters has anyone seen the Classic Car Show with Quentin the smarmy car clocker* and Jodie Kidd. I find it really painful viewing unfortunately and I wanted it to be good. Lots of these classic car shows are just dreadful. The one with the 2 blokes shouting at each other is unwatchable.

*allegedly
  • VTech
    Chris Bass wrote:
    VTech wrote:

are you the Stig?

Sadly not, my driving skills are not of that quality. We can however both eat a Triple Bypass Burger from the heart attack grill without the need of a large diet coke :mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • dj58
    Coogan, (Partridge) and Brydon, (Keith Barret) could front it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DZXOANUaNk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUl7LQNTtY0
  • DJ58 wrote:
    There is indeed a petition going for Alan Partridge to take JC's place.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • chris_bass
    DJ58 wrote:
    There is indeed a petition going for Alan Partridge to take JC's place.

I'm not usually one for signing online petitions but that might be all about to change......
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Is it weird they're continuing to show top gear on bbc3? I thought the reason they stopped the remaining episode of this series was to get to JC - as in stopping his air time. If they show repeats then all they're doing is punishing the fans?
  • chris_bass
    Is it weird they're continuing to show top gear on bbc3? I thought the reason they stopped the remaining episode of this series was to get to JC - as in stopping his air time. If they show repeats then all they're doing is punishing the fans?

I thought it was because they hadn't finished filming/editing the episodes so now that he is suspended they can't be finished and so can't be aired.
  • VTech
    Chris Bass wrote:

I thought it was because they hadn't finished filming/editing the episodes so now that he is suspended they can't be finished and so can't be aired.

This is correct.
    features are completed and then aired to a viewing public in a warehouse hanger then edited.
    I don't think the BBC want JC out, they are simply under huge pressure to do the right thing, after all of the goings on of late with cover ups etc they must be seen to act appropriately and as anyone here knows, if you try and punch a member of staff within a work environment it does constitute immediate dismissal under current legislation and employment law.
    The fact that no charge or claim was brought against JC and that he in fact brought the charges against himself only add to my theory that this was a planned issue.
    Living MY dream.
  • dj58
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Regarding other presenters has anyone seen the Classic Car Show with Quentin the smarmy car clocker* and Jodie Kidd. I find it really painful viewing unfortunately and I wanted it to be good. Lots of these classic car shows are just dreadful. The one with the 2 blokes shouting at each other is unwatchable.

*allegedly

On the old Top Gear Clarkson used to refer to him as Count Quentular.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Ruth Jones would make a great Top Gear presenter...

stacey5.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • mikeeye
    mikeeye Posts: 162
    apreading wrote:
    mrushton wrote:

Yeah, I saw this and thought it ironic too! :shock:
    The BBC sold Radio Times in 2011: BBC sells Radio Times as part of £121m sell-off
    If you still don't know what recursion is, read this sentence.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    Apparently May & Hammond have refused to finish off the remaining episodes without Clarkson.

I don't particularly hold with VTechs conspiracies but it seems like they were nt especially expecting to do another series in 2016
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    That sort of behaviour would have Clarkson foaming at the mouth if it was from bus drivers, airport workers, TV crews etc. No doubt May/Hammond will be right behind him when putting pen to paper on the SKY deal
    M.Rushton
  • VTech
    ddraver wrote:
    Apparently May & Hammond have refused to finish off the remaining episodes without Clarkson.

I don't particularly hold with VTechs conspiracies but it seems like they were nt especially expecting to do another series in 2016

I have no conspiracies, time will (as with other similar stories I have posted on this forum) turn out to be 100% correct. I suggest you look up companies house and duedil to see what I'm referring too. The exact same thing that happened prior to the sale of bedder 6 has recently happened again, coincidence ?
    Living MY dream.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    Sorry, no, I have a life...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I tend to agree with V-Tech here, in that it does all seem a little contrived. Does anyone have an account from someone that was actually there and can trust?

Clarkson just doesn't seem like a puncher to me, - he's stood a lot of abuse over the years, and I don't recall any physical violence.

On a personal note, I once wound him up very badly and it was a long time before he snapped. All he did was look at me, with his hands clenching and unclenching, and eventually coming out with "JUST F**K OFF!!". I can't see him throwing punches in a work environment, but who knows?
  • VTech
    ddraver wrote:
    Sorry, no, I have a life...

I don't see how that quote has anything to do with anything I have written, especially as (like me) you have taken your time to reply to this thread. :?

As far as I am aware, everyone posting in this thread "has a life" hopefully for all involved it is a good life, one that suits them and one where they are happy. Obviously that isn't always the case, thats the sad side of life but reality non the less. Im happy right now if that counts, just got over an illness picked up whilst working abroad hence the lack of posting for a month but I'm getting over it. The wife still talks to me, the kids are doing well at school, business is good, new car is ready for collection this weekend so like you, I have a life. We are lucky men.

Harry-S wrote:
    I tend to agree with V-Tech here, in that it does all seem a little contrived. Does anyone have an account from someone that was actually there and can trust?

Clarkson just doesn't seem like a puncher to me, - he's stood a lot of abuse over the years, and I don't recall any physical violence.

On a personal note, I once wound him up very badly and it was a long time before he snapped. All he did was look at me, with his hands clenching and unclenching, and eventually coming out with "JUST F**K OFF!!". I can't see him throwing punches in a work environment, but who knows?

Yes, a very close friend of mine was there at the time, he witnessed the entire incident hence my earlier post and there is slightly more to this matter than what has been published so I can't post online exactly what happened right now but it wasn't exactly as has been written about.
    I agree with you about his history, I've never known him try and throw a punch, he isn't stupid and has been in broadcasting long enough to know what you can and can't do.
    Likewise he has worked for the BBC long enough to know what you can and can't do.
    this was planned.
    Living MY dream.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    edited March 2015
    Let's replace Top Gear with a show all about why we worship celebrities.

I remember a conversation from years back:

"Shut up, I am trying to watch Coronation Street"
    "Tsssssssssss, it isn't even real"
    "Neither is Star Trek but you tell everyone to shut up when you watch that"

:lol:

Yeah why are we doing it... I remember my dad years ago saying women used to gossip over their garden fence, that was real life... now they watch people on a TV screen gossiping to each other. :shock:
  • chris_bass
    didn't he punch Piers Morgan?
  • Manc33
    edited March 2015
    Chris Bass wrote:
    didn't he punch Piers Morgan?

Yes but thats allowed. :wink:

There's a clause in Common Law for it, or there should be.

I am surprised no one did anything to him when he was in the US telling them all how to live their lives. Alex Jones had a bit of a tiff with him though. :lol:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    VTech wrote:
    there is slightly more to this matter than what has been published so I can't post online exactly what happened right now but it wasn't exactly as has been written about.
    Why not? One of the most detestable things online forums is the old "I know secret stuff I can't tell you" routine - nice and easy, later, to go "there you are, that's exactly what my secret knowledge was!"

Unless you are bound by the official secrets act, there is no real reason why you can't tell us.
  • Manc33
    The only online pic of the oddly named Top Gear producer I can find is the recent one relating to this alleged incident. Who is this guy? Where's his Wiki page? I am not defending Clarkson but the producer is punchable. He looks like he goes around tickling people.