Omloop Nieuwsblad **Spoilers**

191011121315»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,797
    More Lefevre quotes courtesy of the cycling podcast.

Spoke to Patrick Lefevere this morning, asked: 'Did you watch the finish of yesterday's race last night?'
    'Yes.'
    'And?'
    'Stannard won.'
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Three problems:
    1) Quickstep didn't want a team win, they wanted a Boonen win
    2) Terpstra and VDB couldn't decide who should be the beneficiary if 1) couldn't be achieved
    3) Terpstra bodged the 1 v 1

They always say that plane crashes are the result of a sequence of small failings rather than one catastrophic one.

The same situation could easily happen to Sky in Paris Roubaix.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    nic_77 wrote:

I find it interesting that Sky are always good on this weekend. It's been the same since the team started - Very good at OHN, but when the big classics roll round not so convincing.

Even yesterday, they did the usual thing of being all over the race with 60km to go (when no one really cares) but when the selection is made they're down to 1 guy while EQS have a number of people there. Didn't matter in the end, but EQS are so good at getting numbers there in the final.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,832
    Macaloon wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

"Totally sees it" :lol:

"Since this is a real race, nobody has to wait for the guy in yellow." :D
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    iainf72 wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:

I find it interesting that Sky are always good on this weekend. It's been the same since the team started - Very good at OHN, but when the big classics roll round not so convincing.

Even yesterday, they did the usual thing of being all over the race with 60km to go (when no one really cares) but when the selection is made they're down to 1 guy

Agreed. I think it's more a problem of personnel than overt tactics.

On the Stybar point. I heard Cosmo Catalano saying that EQS should have tried to attack Stannard earlier because even if they had been caught Stybar was in the Vanmarcke/GVA group. The cost of having Vanmarcke back far outweighs any gains from having Stybar. I like Stybar and rate him highly but Vanmarcke was a level above him on Saturday.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,393
    Can't recall if it was Rick in here or Iain on twitter but many thanks to whoever tweeted that "if anyone can screw this up it's Quickstep"

I posted it in my Dutch Riding Group and I am now considered some sort of racing genius/wizard!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Analysis by Wuyts and De Cauwer of the weekend (mostly De Omloop) http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/1.2255871
    Interesting bit is that they are a bit concerned about the fact that Boonen could not hold Terpstra's wheel when chasing Stannard. He's never been super in De Omloop, but they see it as a concern about his fitness.
    It could just as well have been a tactical mistake though, of emptying the tank too much on his attack just before that moment.
    De Cauwer already sees Vanmarcke dominating what he calls the 'holy week' (Ronde and Roubaix)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    For me the question is why did Boonen attack at all - if at that point he sits on Stannard's wheel he does him in the sprint. If they wanted to make absolutely sure get Terpstra to attack a couple of times to make Stannard chase down to soften him up first - of course that might lead to Terpstra winning and if that was Boonen's concern it's cost them.

Boonen was by far the fastest in the group and if the argument was he was too cooked to be sure in the finish then he was too cooked to sustain an attack from distance.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    I know the internet abhors such theories but I think we have to countenance the possibility that they just fupped up...
    - @ddraver
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    ddraver wrote:
    I know the internet abhors such theories but I think we have to countenance the possibility that they just fupped up...
    This is probably the closest to the truth!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I think we need to face the fact that Ian Stannard is a total dreamboat and no fancy Quickstepping was going to sink him.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,339
    Macaloon wrote:
    I think we need to face the fact that Ian Stannard is a total dreamboat and no fancy Quickstepping was going to sink him.

They Quickstepped, Stannard just stepped on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CQLAhNlbfQ

You may want to get that Hacienda MTN t-shirt out for this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    B_HnCPwW4AEAALY.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    edited March 2015
    Deleted
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Blog-Bora-WindTunnel.jpg

Completely unrelated, but I thought this was quite good.
  • Macaloon
    You may want to get that Hacienda MTN t-shirt out for this.

It was a a beautiful time at BC. Shame:
    2ufy8so.png
    Morphed into
    xclk6h.png
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,236
    Tom Boonen talking about his team in the latest Procycling:

"If you look back at Flanders [2014] we did the perfect race there until the point we were in the breakaway with four riders in a group of 20. It was the first time for me to be in that kind of situation and it was a little bit confusing. What do you have to do? Force one guy and try to keep it together without being sure you're going to win? Or do what we did? That was something that kind of blocked us. It was a very strange situation! It's something we really have to talk about and take care it doesn't happen again... If you have 4 guys in a group like that, well, I think we could have handled it differently and we will in the future."

D'oh!
  • Macaloon
    ^ It's the only true sport.