Omloop Nieuwsblad **Spoilers**

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,574
    Why did Terpstra sit up with about 3 metres to go.

How on earth did Etixx lose that
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Lucky? I don't think so.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,574
    Boonen looked so fresh with 10km to go and then just popped. Cancellara won't have let that pass him by.....nor Wiggins.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,150
    So for the record - people who are complaining about QS strength - having so many in the finale - it's quite clear that they didn't have much better legs than a lot of favourites. They were better positioned.

The way GvA and (mainly) Sep help them honest for such a long time is proof of that - given how tired they all were when they started to try to work Stannard over. They had obviously spent a lot of energy staying clear of Sep & GvA.
  • Best legs today: sep by miles.

Yeah. He is going to be looking for blood tomorrow.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    That was amazing, was messaging my mate saying Stannard had no chance then off he went!
  • For the sake of panache, surely? :wink:
    Boonan also sat on for a most of the break and still ran out of gas.

Read my comment above. And no Boonen was also working tons.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Gweeds wrote:
    Boonen looked so fresh with 10km to go and then just popped.

Boonen was never going to get away. Calculated by Stannard.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Boonen on the Taainberg never gets tired. Just wonderful. Glad he is the one with the balls to make this race interesting.

Shame Sep got some bad luck there again. Quick Step are just the best though.

I assume they be flying tomorrow, especially since they'll have rockets up their a***s
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,796
    Some might argue that with race radios EQS might not have messed that up, but I wouldn't want to go there.

Great rider by Stannard. Hopefuly Sep will get some much overdue luck in P-R.

Boonen increasingly looking past his best.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    God I love cycling sometimes
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,406
    NorvernRob wrote:
    That was amazing, was messaging my mate saying Stannard had no chance then off he went!

Same! :lol:

Boonen pulling a Sanne Cant on the podium...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • They had obviously spent a lot of energy staying clear of Sep & GvA.

Yeah absolutely. They were all definitely full gas apart from Stannard.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Milton50 wrote:
    WOW!

Stannard just owned them. Beasted them one by one then even made Terpstra lead out the sprint!

If he continues like this Sky are going to have to substantially increase his salary another year running.

Unbelievable. He should have been completely worked over by EQS. Biggest fail since the the Schlecks vs Gilbert in LBL

The problem was that Vanmarcke was only 20-25 seconds back up until the last 6km, so they couldn't start messing around with stop-start attacks. They were riding full gas just to stay clear.

I can see that but nevertheless Vanmarcke is an individual. I'd have thought it was still possible for riders of the calibre of Terpstra, Boonen and Vandenbergh to work Stannard over. I'm chuffed as mintballs for him. He can play the part of Froome in Wiggo's classics campaign!

Still another epic fail by QS in the Omloop.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,425
    stannard is made for this sort of thing..what a lump
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Wiggins was still in the 15 or so remaining of the Peloton behind, not looking fupped either.

6 of the cofidis guys came out of a sidestreet where I was watching and asked if they were ahead or behind the race convoy... Now I'm not saying Cofidis turned up did the bare minimum and knocked off early...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • 6 of the cofidis guys came out of a sidestreet where I was watching and asked if they were ahead or behind the race convoy... Now I'm not saying Cofidis turned up did the bare minimum and knocked off early...

:D
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    Wiggins is the opposite of Stannard where looking fupped is concerned though
    - @ddraver
  • Yeah, I see the problem QS had there. Boonen was done in, Vandenbergh was done in and stupid and they didn't talk to each other.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    Fuggin unbelievable. Great win for Stannard. And the start of my favourite few months of the calendar. :D:D:D
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Amazing by Stannard, regardless of the easy ride he had to the finale.
    Also good to see Luke Rowe finish at the front of the main group and take 9th.
  • "Our man" Luke Rowe led the bunch home in front of Demare and Kristoff.
    Impressive ride, given his earlier attack.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • 6 of the cofidis guys came out of a sidestreet where I was watching and asked if they were ahead or behind the race convoy... Now I'm not saying Cofidis turned up did the bare minimum and knocked off early...

:D

It was the fact there were 6 of them that made it. Nearly the whole team had decided to sack it at exactly the same point and ride home.

@gietvangent
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,458
    ThomThom wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Lol. With 20km to go Rolf Sørensen said Stannard should let the fastest of the three go and let him have 50 meters and slowly catch him possibly killing the teammates.

worked
    rode their legs off

Yep, people should learn Danish just to get to hear this guy.

Rolf absolutely nailed it there. He hung Boonen out to dry then reeled him gently back in.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Turfle wrote:

It's the same every year for me. The enthusiasm drops over winter and I'm kind of meh about the whole thing when it starts again. Then suddenly cobbles...
  • ddraver
    @richardmoore73: Irony: a Sky rider shows that cycling is not always about numbers #OHN
    - @ddraver
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    ThomThom wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

It's the same every year for me. The enthusiasm drops over winter and I'm kind of meh about the whole thing when it starts again. Then suddenly cobbles...

And every year KBK brings us back down to earth!
  • Just watching the sprint again, interesting study in fatigue resistance.

Terpstra's initial kick is nearly enough and even when Stannard is up to speed hes not getting around him, then after 10s Terpstra fades massively and Stannard just keeps the same speed to get around at the line.

@gietvangent
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    ThomThom wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

Me too love it from now til the end of the Giro. Time for a beer I think.
  • Ahhh puncture from VanMarcke as he wound it up on Haaghoek the last time through. Forced that selection and then lost out.

@gietvangent