Omloop Nieuwsblad **Spoilers**

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Stannard immense, but QS got it all wrong. Terpstra should have been the one to attack at 4 Km to go, it's what he does not Boonen, then Vendenbergh should have tried too if he had anything, just to tire Stannard and then Boonen should have sprinted... not sure how they managed to screw it so badly
    left the forum March 2023
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    ^this would of gone vendenbergh first then Terpsta but maybe stannard just had to much for them all yesterday.

Anyone that says stannard should of worked has been stiffing glue
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I'm not sure what tactics there would have been as Stannard had the best legs. It's daft to think he should have pulled with Quick Step as the race was their's to lose. It was just an incredible win. Yippee! :D
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    I think the EQS guys were all just being selfish. Boonen didn't want a teammate to attack first incase they got away and won. Vandenberg chased Terpstra because he didn't want to be left without a chance to win himself. Everyone knows that the best traffic for the team was for Vandenberg and Terpstra should've done the attacking while Boonen followed Stannard. I'm glad they didn't though, it was pretty funny and a Brit won.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Don't look now guys, but i think we're outnumbered...

12acab809b0d317f61063794c8f622d7.jpg
  • gsk82
    " wrote:

"oh shit, anybody but him"
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856

"We've got this in the bag boys. He's blowing hard already."
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    "Tom! It's Stan Hard. Better whistle up reinforcements."

How great was that. There's a bit in the highlights with a QS TTT closing Stannard. Epic.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,832
    inseine wrote:
    Don't look now guys, but i think we're outnumbered...

Three Bewildebeests being stalked by a Lion. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Macaloon
    A glorious masterclass from Stannard. He didn't just sit there watching them shoot their feet off. He loaded the guns.
    2v8ia9z.png
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,339
    I have to say, I'm immensely looking forward to Cosmo's "How the race was won" for this :-D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Macaloon
    Stannard the great.

ian-stannard-wins-ohn-2015-1024x1022.png

"With Sep Vanmarcke and Greg van Avermaet chasing behind it put the pressure on them. I could just sit back, play a bit of poker and enjoy the ride."
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Macaloon wrote:
    A glorious masterclass from Stannard. He didn't just sit there watching them shoot their feet off. He loaded the guns.
    2v8ia9z.png
    One of the most enjoyable cycle races I've ever witnessed with Ginger taking on the mighty Quickstep on their home playgrounds.
    Lets hope he stays on his bike this year, after an identical start as last year but without the "Back" injury.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    I managed to miss the live coverage but fortunately YouTube had a clip of the last 20kms so I watched that in ignorance. No way was Stannard going to win that (I actually thought the Stannard group was G2 not G1 for quite some time).
    You just DO NOT lose when you are in a 4 man break with 3 of your team. You just don't. But obviously with someone as canny and, on the day, as strong as Stannard it can happen - a super win for him, not only a semi-classic win but to do it in those circumstances against the #1 classics team on their own patch is a performance to savour.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    20154850-256497.jpg
    20154850-256507.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    About the only thing missing was Carlton's considered commentary.
  • Macaloon
    r0bh wrote:

"Totally sees it" :lol:
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    inseine wrote:

"You watch the guy infront, I'll check behind"

"No, I'll look behind, you watch the guy infront"

etc etc...
    Half man, Half bike
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,797
    Just saw the finish.

Why on earth is Terpstra leading it out????
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,339
    Just saw the finish.

I still haven't worked out how that happened. I think he just went for a long one, which is mad as it's uphill and Stannard was fresher. But he was on Stannard's wheel for the last 3km.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Macaloon
    B-8apKWUoAAT0Lb.jpg:large
    Cycle Nation @Cycle_Nation · 24h 24 hours ago
    The Rock learns that Stannard won @OmloopHNB #OHN
  • gsk82
    Just saw the finish.

I still haven't worked out how that happened. I think he just went for a long one, which is mad as it's uphill and Stannard was fresher. But he was on Stannard's wheel for the last 3km.

He wanted to make sure Boonen didn't get back to them.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Just saw the finish.

Boonen made a comment yesterday how it's easy to start the sprint too early on that finish. It's how he lost the sprint against Vanmarcke himself a few years back. Still not the cleverest move, but nowhere near as disastrous as the Vandenbergh one
  • rick_chasey
    FJS wrote:
    Just saw the finish.

Boonen made a comment yesterday how it's easy to start the sprint too early on that finish. It's how he lost the sprint against Vanmarcke himself a few years back. Still not the cleverest move, but nowhere near as disastrous as the Vandenbergh one

Niki's got 2 teammates in pursuit. You sit and sit and sit in his wheel. Bizarre.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    FJS wrote:
    Boonen made a comment yesterday how it's easy to start the sprint too early on that finish.
    Maybe he should have mentioned that to his team before (or during) the race...
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    Macaloon wrote:
    Stannard the great.

ian-stannard-wins-ohn-2015-1024x1022.png

"With Sep Vanmarcke and Greg van Avermaet chasing behind it put the pressure on them. I could just sit back, play a bit of poker and enjoy the ride."
    quickstep should have risked it by easing up a bit, Stannard said if the gap had got much smaller he would have pulled turns which would probably have tired him out a bit, then had they been caught Quickstep would have had Stybar added to the mix who was fresh having been sat on Vanmarke and GVA. You often hear people say to win it you have to be willing to lose it, they weren't and they missed out
  • Macaloon
    Comment deep in Inner Ring's review regarding Stybar's gentlemanly refusal to contest sprint with Sep/GVA due to his free ride. Class.
  • rick_chasey
    Macaloon wrote:
    Comment deep in Inner Ring's review regarding Stybar's gentlemanly refusal to contest sprint with Sep/GVA due to his free ride. Class.

Lefevre said it was more to do with an upset stomach, which would go some way to explain why Quick-Step weren't counting on him doing much if Sep and GvA made the gap.
  • Macaloon
    Lefevre said it was more to do with an upset stomach, which would go some way to explain why Quick-Step weren't counting on him doing much if Sep and GvA made the gap.

A dicky tummy > ticky dummy.