Omloop Nieuwsblad **Spoilers**

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited March 2015 in Pro race
Its here! Its finally here!

I'm up and about and its a gorgeous morning, not a breath of wind yet, cold and still.

I'll be heading down to the start to have a nosey, then dashing back to Merelbeke to watch there before installing myself in front of the TV (coverage starts at 1300 CET streaming fans), switching the RL on the laptop to watch both, then running to the end of the road to watch them pass with 10km to go.

At approx 1700cet I think I'll be meeting a divorce lawyer!

Happy classics!
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Any local beers from this region worth a mention?
    Half man, Half bike
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    *woop* *woop*

Enjoy it disgruntledgoat!
  • Ridgerider wrote:
    Any local beers from this region worth a mention?

The early part of the races passes within a kilometer of Brewery Huyghe, who produce Delrium Tremens, amongst other things.

http://www.delirium.be/

Gent has Gruut about 200m from the finish line who bitter their beers with herbs instead of hops in the medieval style

http://www.gruut.be/info-nl.html

The race briefly enters Oudenaarde on the way back and passes close to Lindemans who make fruit lambics and right by the Roman brewery where Ename is made

http://www.roman.be/nl/producten/ename.php

I'll be abstaining today, sadly, as I'm doing the Cyclo tomorrow :(
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Can somebody please posts any sites they know that will be streaming live. (Preferably English commentary).
    Regards - Mick.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    At last. The spring classics season rolls round again...
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    There's a story in today's Het Nieuwsblad about Van Avermaet being under investigation for his dealing with Dr Mertens.

He is still starting the race today but it's not exactly the ideal circumstances for him.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Bit of extra needle in the final for GVA this year is just the ticket.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Milton50 wrote:
    There's a story in today's Het Nieuwsblad about Van Avermaet being under investigation for his dealing with Dr Mertens.

He is still starting the race today but it's not exactly the ideal circumstances for him.

SOmebody in the commercial arm of HN is going to go spare at the sports desk on Monday!

"Couldn't you wait until the day after the race named after us to out the favourite as being under investigation for doping?!"

@gietvangent
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Can somebody please posts any sites they know that will be streaming live. (Preferably English commentary).
    Regards - Mick.
    Try Steephill, no English commentary though.
  • Some guy who works in a supermarket makes his picks

https://twitter.com/NickNuyens/status/571598250924507138

@gietvangent
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,924
    Macaloon wrote:
    Bit of extra needle in the final for GVA this year is just the ticket.

Yeah
    We see what you did there.
    We see it.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    We see it.
    RTR3FV7L-640.jpg
  • A helpful reminder, the bit at the bottom (cut off in the .jpg) says "21 delicious snacks!"

3650393442.jpg

@gietvangent
  • Macaloon
    edited February 2015
    the Inner Ring ‏@inrng 2m2 minutes ago
    Race radio on Twitter today via @TeamRadiotour #OHN

The extraordinary access to superstars of this sport:
    B-7Ia2nWsAA_qIe.jpg
    Robert Hatch ‏@robhatchtv 5m5 minutes ago

Main man in Flanders @tomboonen1 relaxed & enjoying crowds to get to #OHN sign in
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    edited February 2015
    Courtesy of Sporza, a basket of Gent specialities presented to Wiggins.

B-7G8j8XAAAyJnM.jpg

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    6 degrees and windy but dry.

Which is fine tbh. FWIW I function pretty OK in dry 6-7 degrees on the club run and I'm more susceptible than most to the cold.

Tights (or even 3/4 if you're a bit tougher), thermal base layer underneath and you'll be fine.
  • rick_chasey
    Can somebody please posts any sites they know that will be streaming live. (Preferably English commentary).
    Regards - Mick.

You'll be hard pressed to find much english commentary.

Best bets are cyclingfans.com and steephill.com

http://www.cyclingfans.com/omloop-het-nieuwsblad/live

page is already up for cyclingfans.
  • Big smile today.
    The season and Sporza kick off in grand style.
    Live coverage (chat first) starts 12-30 gmt.

Following the race, "our" George sets a new World Record as the youngest player to 50 International caps, when Wales play France. :)

I might be forced to crack open the odd Belgian brew, too.
    But which? Decisions, decisions.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I have a bottle of westoek flemish triple ready. Never tried it before so I hope its nice!
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    Following the race, "our" George sets a new World Record as the youngest player to 50 International caps, when Wales play France. :)
    Tell him to wear a skull cap or he'll be the youngest player to 50 concussions too.

Sorry off topic there.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    6 degrees and windy but dry.

Which is fine tbh. FWIW I function pretty OK in dry 6-7 degrees on the club run and I'm more susceptible than most to the cold.

Tights (or even 3/4 if you're a bit tougher), thermal base layer underneath and you'll be fine.

If it's the same as in NL (and it usually is), then it's more than a bit windy!

(ie my poor leggies hurt!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    RichN95 wrote:
    Tell him to wear a skull cap or he'll be the youngest player to 50 concussions too.

Sorry off topic there.

Would it be untactful to say Boom! ?
    - @ddraver
  • Up to 10 in the sun and there's barely any wind. Shorts and arm warmers for me. With a vest

@gietvangent
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Here is a stream in an hour

http://cyclinghub.tv/livestream.php
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,924
    Alexis Gougeard (AG2R), Matt Brammeier (MTN), Christophe Laborie (Bretagne-Séché Environnement), Michael Reihs (Cult Energy), Kevin Van Melsen (Wanty) and Louis Verhelst (Cofidis) now have four minutes over the peloton.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    Joelsim wrote:
    Here is a stream in an hour

http://cyclinghub.tv/livestream.php

Sporza Coverage starts at 1330 CET, but that will be intros and interviews etc
    - @ddraver
  • Liverpool Century's own Matt Brammeier. Good lad.

@gietvangent
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Omloop!
  • rick_chasey
    Wyss (BMC), Engoulvent (Europcar) en Tjallingii (LottoNL-Jumbo). @ 6'10"

QS dictating the tempo.
  • rick_chasey
    Interview with GvA doesn't make me think he's going to do much today.

Sounds very nervous and shocked on the startline.