Reasonably priced Italian steel stallions

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think the waiting list for wheels is also due to lots of the hobbyist builders doing it in their spare time.
  • djhermer wrote:
    So this thread has gone from 'What the Italians rave about" to "What one particular Italian raves about".

Not true... the Italian rave about Vetta for cheap bespoke steel frames, among others

29o39s6.jpg

VETTA0111.jpeg

Is personal import an option?
  • Is personal import an option?

I don't know if he speaks English, I don't know if he sends abroad... I have no idea... I am just reporting what I read on an Italian Forum and got me thinking... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • If you want to see the Italians buzzing like bothered bees, just post a photo of a broken Campagnolo Neutron hub on their forum... :wink:

DSC_3876_zpsisgradwy.jpg
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Vetta catalogue:

http://vetta.it/wp-content/uploads/PDF/prodotti.pdf

Alot of raised stems in thoose pics :o

Price for track alu bike frame is 250 euro & VAT

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... rev=search

Does cx frames also:

http://vetta.it/wp-content/uploads/PDF/ ... -varie.pdf

Interesting forum thread eith pic & alot of information.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... rev=search
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Gweeds wrote:
    Could be a good conversation to have with him then.

Is there a worthwhile business in offering bespoke, low-cost tubing frames, in 3 or 4 plain colours, for £700 all in

I look like Michelangelo's David, it's pretty easy to make a frame for me.
    Small dick and big hands? :wink:
    Do you really think there is no real difference between a £2000.00 Pegoretti or Saffron etc and an £800 531?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    If you want to see the Italians buzzing like bothered bees, just post a photo of a broken Campagnolo Neutron hub on their forum... :wink:

DSC_3876_zpsisgradwy.jpg
    How did that happen? Buzzzzzzz
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    djhermer wrote:
    So this thread has gone from 'What the Italians rave about" to "What one particular Italian raves about".

Not true... the Italian rave about Vetta for cheap bespoke steel frames, among others

29o39s6.jpg

VETTA0111.jpeg

It might be built well but the frame graphics are awful
  • LegendLust wrote:

Probably that's what the guy wanted... would you say this is nice?

MG_0065.jpg

Yet people seem to queue for years and pay thousands for this rubbish paintjob
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Looks like a toddler with a new sticker book decorated that frame. :shock:
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    LegendLust wrote:

Probably that's what the guy wanted... would you say this is nice?

MG_0065.jpg

Yet people seem to queue for years and pay thousands for this rubbish paintjob

I agree. Pegoretti paintjobs are an acquired taste.

If you like the taste of s**t
  • ... therefore I wouldn't say you pay less but you get a crap paintjob... the paint itself looks fine to me... besides, I would go for plain red or plain blue, so no need for fancy jobs... I am happy with powder coating
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Has the title of this thread changed?

If so, could you spell it properly?

thanks...
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    I just thought Ugo was describing himself.....
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Done... yes, I thoguht that's the direction it is going, we might as well change the title... seems a new and fresh topic to discuss...

Yes, I used to define myself that way... :mrgreen:
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Ta, it was making my teeth itch!
  • Did you know Gios is still working? I went there a couple of years back, basically Alfredo has left and only Aldo is in charge with his son. The showroom/workshop is in Volpiano, close to Turin airport and worth a visit if you love steel.

Anyway, rambling aside, he still builds frames and can do a bespoke one for 1,000 Euro or so... I mean you pay 2 grand for a frame made by a guy called Ricky Feather or less than half for a frame made by the guy who built frames for Roger De Vlaeminck... :roll:
  • gweeds
    Or 3 grand on a frame by some bloke called Pegoretti who built frames for Indurain, Roche, Tafi, Pantani
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Gweeds wrote:
    Or 3 grand on a frame by some bloke called Pegoretti who built frames for Indurain, Roche, Tafi, Pantani

For some reason my cycling heroes these days are all Flemmish... Merckx, De Vlaeminck and Boonen... :roll:
  • You always pay extra for a vogue name on the side of the product even though the quality etc can't really justify that, i have a friend who is a tailor he uses the same material for his basic suit and charges £500 less than Hugo Boss, crazy.

With regard to wheels the fancy logos on the side costing over 1k are they so much better than say a £700 set of carbon wheels made from Malcolm at the Cycle clinic.

I suppose in the end you pays your money but quality doesn't always have to come at such a premium.
  • ...this is a great thread (in both incarnations), but returning to the original thread title if I may, what do Italians think of De Rosa ...etc... and shimano/sram... what proportion of Italians ride Campagnolo? Is there a real loyal patriotism there?

Do most Italian club riders ride Chorus? or is it the same division (Sram, shimano, Campag) split that you see here currently??

... :D

I have great memories of riding up Gavia, Stelvio, Mortirolo, and also in the Dolomites ...etc, etc, with all the sun-bronzed Italians wearing immaculate white lycra and Sidi shoes, with Catholic crosses on chains dangling from their open jerseys, and whippet, leathery old men in their 60s/70s riding up these famous cols on mountain bikes with slick tyres to drink a coffee in the summit cafes...

discuss...
  • ...this is a great thread (in both incarnations), but returning to the original thread title if I may, what do Italians think of De Rosa ...etc... and shimano/sram... what proportion of Italians ride Campagnolo? Is there a real loyal patriotism there?

Do most Italian club riders ride Chorus? or is it the same division (Sram, shimano, Campag) split that you see here currently??

... :D

I have great memories of riding up Gavia, Stelvio, Mortirolo, and also in the Dolomites ...etc, etc, with all the sun-bronzed Italians wearing immaculate white lycra and Sidi shoes, with Catholic crosses on chains dangling from their open jerseys, and whippet, leathery old men in their 60s/70s riding up these famous cols on mountain bikes with slick tyres to drink a coffee in the summit cafes...

discuss...

I find it's all pretty much the same as here with the following difference

1) You have to shave you legs

2) 80 Kg is obese

3) The UCI 6.8 Kg limit is to be considered the upper limit

4) Campagnolo is always better, but Shimano is acceptable... SRAM is best avoided

5) Deep rims have to say BORA on them

6) Tubulars are for everybody

7) Nobody seem overly fussed about Canyon

8) Corrado Spada is the God of hand built wheels

9) Condor is a bird of the Andes and Rapha is Nadal

10) 10 degrees is cold
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    I have been building frames on a part time basis for a while.
    These are my own observations.
    Firstly set up initially seems quite cheap, its seems to be only basic tooling. Then costs start to rise significantly. Cutters, reamers, facers etc are big money and don't last forever. Decent spray guns/ filtration and ventilation does not come cheap. This does not include the big stuff, welders, fluxers, jigs etc.
    Public liability is a must for the commercial builder and again isn't cheap.

It is true that a bike can be built to an acceptable standard in a day but this would be virtually impossible for most customers. IME everyone requires around a half day to go through geometry, size, tube choice, brazeons, paint. Even if the framebuilder is on the ball, there is a world of ditherers out there that can quickly suck a day out of your schedule questioning every detail such as your opinion on everything from groupset to wheels.

The fun thing about bespoke buiding is bending and shaping odd shaped stuff or using new and unusual kit. This often requires bespoke tooling for benders or jig mounts, which all needs to be made.
    Unlike wheelbuilding, it is best to have some premises, again a huge cost. Whilst it is possible to both fabricate and paint in the same shed. It is really tricky to keep the environment spotlessly clean for excellent paint results, a dedicated space is most helpful.

Just my take on the subject and I don't want to be drawn into what others charge, but for a one man band to see the job through from initial concept to a finished painted frame, I think a weeks work per frame is on average perfectly reasonable, all factors of running a small business considered. A day or so less for a simple fixed, a little longer for very complicated stuff.

I've started this blog on framebuilding if you're interested. http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • woolwich wrote:
    I have been building frames on a part time basis for a while.
    These are my own observations.
    Firstly set up initially seems quite cheap, its seems to be only basic tooling. Then costs start to rise significantly. Cutters, reamers, facers etc are big money and don't last forever. Decent spray guns/ filtration and ventilation does not come cheap. This does not include the big stuff, welders, fluxers, jigs etc.
    Public liability is a must for the commercial builder and again isn't cheap.

It is true that a bike can be built to an acceptable standard in a day but this would be virtually impossible for most customers. IME everyone requires around a half day to go through geometry, size, tube choice, brazeons, paint. Even if the framebuilder is on the ball, there is a world of ditherers out there that can quickly suck a day out of your schedule questioning every detail such as your opinion on everything from groupset to wheels.

The fun thing about bespoke buiding is bending and shaping odd shaped stuff or using new and unusual kit. This often requires bespoke tooling for benders or jig mounts, which all needs to be made.
    Unlike wheelbuilding, it is best to have some premises, again a huge cost. Whilst it is possible to both fabricate and paint in the same shed. It is really tricky to keep the environment spotlessly clean for excellent paint results, a dedicated space is most helpful.

Just my take on the subject and I don't want to be drawn into what others charge, but for a one man band to see the job through from initial concept to a finished painted frame, I think a weeks work per frame is on average perfectly reasonable, all factors of running a small business considered. A day or so less for a simple fixed, a little longer for very complicated stuff.

I've started this blog on framebuilding if you're interested. http://locksidebikes.co.uk/

I was craving for your Input... :D

Don't you think there is a market for less demanding customers who are happy with a decent bespoke frame without too much fuss? Those who are happy to buy an off the peg Genesis or Condor, for instance... people like me... :roll:
    Besides, I would expect a builder to have other streams of revenue, like selling and fitting components as well as frames...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    contact Taylormade then Ugo. Angus is the man you are looking for.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • woolwich
    Yes I am inclined to agree with you Ugo. I am also concerned about the boutiquification of cycling.

These guys are out there though. They just don't jump to the top of a google search and are best found word of mouth. Malcolms mentioned one, Steve Goff is another.

I agree about diversifying. Many builders also do frame repairs. Dave Yates is a prolific fixer of all things metal. I even know of a guy with an old Dawes who took his bike for a cracked braze repair to Enigma. To there credit they did a super job for not a lot.
  • I am not specifically looking for anything now... these days I barely get to the end of the month... but it would be interesting to explore this option next time I'll be on the market for a frame. Having given up on carbon and aluminium almost a decade ago, I'm all for something bespoke and reasonably priced
  • woolwich
    I once learnt an expression from someone.

It goes something along the lines of "pm me if your interested" :lol:
  • woolwich wrote:
    I once learnt an expression from someone.

It goes something along the lines of "pm me if your interested" :lol:

I am glad you have decided to "come out"... :lol: I mean to build for others and you'll be top of my list if I ever find a stack of coins in a field...

However, by then you'll probably have an 18 months waiting list and will charge 2 grand... :?

For the interest of the wider audience... do you think it's possible to build a CX disc frame that weighs a bit less than the current stuff on the market... my Fugio is 1.9 Kg, which seems to be average for this type of bike... is 1.4-1.5 Kg in a 54 size for someone around 70Kg asking too much to the material and geometry?
  • gweeds
    Why have you given up on carbon and aluminium, and why a decade ago - assume you've tried carbon in the intervening period?