The classics thread

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Lefevre is probably waiting to see if Terpstra's value drops.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Lefevre is probably waiting to see if Terpstra's value drops.

On the off-chance that the market is flooded with out-of-contract PT riders? Looks like he played a blinder.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I've always got the impression that Lefevre likes to keep his riders on their toes and his options for signings/departures open.

The Quick Step team really is looking especially strong. Boonen, Terpstra, Vandenbergh and Stybar (with Eneco form) can all be there in the finale of the cobbled races.

I reckon that Lefevre doesn't actually have the confidence to back anyone but Boonen for outright leadership. I got the impression last year, when it was clear Boonen wasn't on it for RVV & P-R, that it was a case of 'ride for yourselves boys'.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    The_Boy wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    At least we're back to talking about the cycling.

There's been a lot of talk about the "real" start to the season, but we all know this comes when Boonen attacks on the Taainberg on Saturday

Got to expect Terpstra to do well surely.

Looking for a contract now.... ;)

That surprises me. I'd have thought E-QS would have given him a fat contract after last season.

Wrong Dutchman...was thinking of Mollema, but even he was wrong!

I don't know which way is up and which down today
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    or even Boom...?
    Half man, Half bike
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    him too, but he wasnt who I was thinking of neither...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ridgerider
    Of all the people who ran away from Belkin last year, his was the destination that most surprised me in a sporting and career sense (but not financially...)
    Half man, Half bike
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I've just been invited to my Mum's for a meal on Easter Sunday. She knows me well enough that she's allowed me to set the time, so roughly when can I anticipate the Tour of Flanders finishing (in BST)?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I've just been invited to my Mum's for a meal on Easter Sunday. She knows me well enough that she's allowed me to set the time, so roughly when can I anticipate the Tour of Flanders finishing (in BST)?
    About 4 o'clock UK time
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    At least we're back to talking about the cycling.

There's been a lot of talk about the "real" start to the season, but we all know this comes when Boonen attacks on the Taainberg on Saturday

Got to expect Terpstra to do well surely.

Looking for a contract now.... ;)

That surprises me. I'd have thought E-QS would have given him a fat contract after last season.

Wrong Dutchman...was thinking of Mollema, but even he was wrong!

I don't know which way is up and which down today

That's nothing - I've been convinced today was Saturday all day and was wondering where the Het Volk coverage was! Seriously a bit scary for a while; my excuse is my girlfriend is away and I'd miscounted the days til she's back.
  • The_Boy
    ddraver wrote:
    him too, but he wasnt who I was thinking of neither...

Had to be a dutch cyclist you were thinking of, didn't it? We'll still be trying to guess in the TdF thread at this rate....
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    edited February 2015
    RichN95 wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    About 4 o'clock UK time
    Thanks Rich

Argh! I've been given a limit of 4:30 due to the arrival of my niece in the last 12 months. My Mum's is about a 45 minute drive. Could make for a tense end to the race for me
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Will be interested to see how Tiesj Benoot (Lotto-Soudal) goes. Very aggressive in Binche-Chimay-Binche last year finishing 8th and possible signs of form this year - a top 10 in Mallorca, 3rd in the youth classification at Algarve behind Formolo and Soler.

Says he likes the cobbles and RVV but a bit young for a classics man at 20 years of age.
  • rick_chasey
    Sep is THE cobbled rider of the new generation.

Easily up there with grandad Cancellara and Boonen with ease and speed on cobbles. Needs better luck with punctures.

Once they age/retire he'll eat the rest for breakfast on cobbles.

Just needs to calm down a bit and get some better luck.
  • Sep is THE cobbled rider of the new generation.

Easily up there with grandad Cancellara and Boonen with ease and speed on cobbles. Needs better luck with punctures.

And quit the blubbing.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Some quality idiocy from Lefevre:

“Stannard did what he had to do. Then again, I think that a rider from his calibre from that team should share the work until the gap was 40 seconds. He played it hard but tomorrow or next week it’s another race, then we can play that game. Stannard was team leader today. A team leader that was on the wheels for 40 kilometres. A rider of his level, a team leader, doesn’t stay on the wheels for 40 kilometres,” Lefevere said

Yes Patrick, I can't wait for you to tell a rider of yours to work when he's in a break with 3 from one team.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lefever ... nieuwsblad
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    Gweeds wrote:
    Some quality idiocy from Lefevre:

“Stannard did what he had to do. Then again, I think that a rider from his calibre from that team should share the work until the gap was 40 seconds. He played it hard but tomorrow or next week it’s another race, then we can play that game. Stannard was team leader today. A team leader that was on the wheels for 40 kilometres. A rider of his level, a team leader, doesn’t stay on the wheels for 40 kilometres,” Lefevere said

Yes Patrick, I can't wait for you to tell a rider of yours to work when he's in a break with 3 from one team.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lefever ... nieuwsblad

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13018412&start=380#p19467142
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Too many threads. Sorry.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey

And quit the blubbing.

The old women who mainly watch cycling would disagree ;).
  • The_Boy
    As everyone knows, all the true classics have the word 'classic' in their names. In that spirit, my man Sepulveda won the classic sud ardeche today.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    The_Boy wrote:
    As everyone knows, all the true classics have the word 'classic' in their names. In that spirit, my man Sepulveda won the classic sud ardeche today.

In fine style too. Here's the last 8km or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njsKcG9MQ_U
  • The_Boy
    Crampeur wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

In fine style too. Here's the last 8km or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njsKcG9MQ_U

Good find, cheers. Good showing by my man reza too.

have to say though that the BSE kit looks better in the team photos than on the bike. At least they have the Looks though. That gets them points of some sort.
  • ridgerider

Is it bad luck to get two punctures when those around get none. Surely that has something to do with reading the road/gutter/pavement conditions better...?

No prizes for strongest legs.
    Half man, Half bike
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Ridgerider wrote:

Is it bad luck to get two punctures when those around get none. Surely that has something to do with reading the road/gutter/pavement conditions better...?

No prizes for strongest legs.[/quote]

Barry Hoban used to say that riders on form don't crash or puncture.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I'd say Vanmarcke has now definitely usurped Boonen as the best cobbled classics rider in Belgium.

We'll have to see what kind of legs Cancellara has over the next few weeks to see who will be favourite going into Flanders and PR. E3 could be massive psychologically.

I've said before that my instinct is that Cancellara has the slight edge in Flanders but that Vanmarcke is the man to beat in Paris Roubaix.
  • It's not down to luck that Boonen and Canc seem to avoid punctures on the cobbles.

Sure, luck plays a part, but more important is reading of the road in my book
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    By the way, kind of related to the talk of punctures, cosmo catalano made the point last year that some of the 5 star pave sections actually have easy run-offs that riders can use.

go to 3:50 in this video

Does anyone know if the organisers have tried to do anything about it?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Does anyone know when VanMarke's contract it's up?

If he was at sky for example he'd be in a far better position and it was rumoured they wanted him a couple of years ago. Could he go to trek once Cancellara retires?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ridgerider
    I think belkin booked him for a few years last year, not that that means anything if the team are a bit short of money...

I have just been on the rollers for an hour mulling things over and wondered if Jumbo were using old tyres yesterday. Cant quite work out if their limited race programme this spring has been budget driven as well?
    Half man, Half bike
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Anyone seen start-list for Strade Bianchi on Sunday? All I can see on Steephill is last years one, its often a cracking race over amazing terrain. I've stayed in San Gimignano before, its lovely.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com