The classics thread

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    They did it to wind people up. It wound people up and they talk about E3 in February. As Dan Friebe pointed out, it's done it's job.

Moaning so much that the UCI have asked for their logo to be taken off the poster. If people hadn't pointed it out I would've paid no attention to it.

#jesuisbadtasteE3poster
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The overreaction undermines the validity of the argument in my view.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

In NI the weather has turned very 'classics' all of a sudden. Windy. Raining but not enough to clear the winter dirt off the roads, just enough to make it iffy. Too cold for summerkit but not cold enough for winter.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iainf72 wrote:
    They did it to wind people up. It wound people up and they talk about E3 in February. As Dan Friebe pointed out, it's done it's job.

Moaning so much that the UCI have asked for their logo to be taken off the poster. If people hadn't pointed it out I would've paid no attention to it.

#jesuisbadtasteE3poster

Ah well you see its not very intelligent.
    Stick a lady on the front, job done?
    Or stick something deliberately provocative on there, job done?
    I guess it depends on what type of audience you want to draw.
    Personally that's not my style; got class.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ah well you see its not very intelligent.
    Stick a lady on the front, job done?
    Or stick something deliberately provocative on there, job done?
    I guess it depends on what type of audience you want to draw.
    Personally that's not my style; got class.

It's Belgium. So your cycling fans are like footie fans here. Just normal run of the mill folks. Dude who smokes 40 a day and has a girly calendar on his wall etc through to someone who spends money and likes riding a bike.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    and is catholic.

So the whole gender thing is a bit more old skool.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Newton's third law of the internet: For every action there is an equal and opposite overreaction.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    e3harelbeke14_boonen-620.jpg

youngboonen-620.jpg

Can't wait. :D
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Coppi-Roubaix-50-620.jpg

Coppi in P-R 1950. His brother was the (joint) winner the year before.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Crampeur wrote:
    Coppi-Roubaix-50-620.jpg

Coppi in P-R 1950. His brother was the (joint) winner the year before.
    Interesting story, that Serge Coppi joint win. He just won the bunch sprint, but the breakaway had got lost getting into the velodrome and had to take a backdoor in, crawl over seats before finishing.
  • Crampeur wrote:
    youngboonen-620.jpg

Can't wait. :D

Wicked - not one I have seen before!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • okgo wrote:

I guess Omloop isn't televised hence I don't recall seeing Stannard win it last year, but Wiggins riding this year, could be interesting, do they stream it?

iilegal feeds on cyclingfans & steephill only.

Would be very surprised if Wiggins features in omloop in anything other than the obligatory signing in shot.

April is a while off and he got spat out in Qatar

According to Rob Hatch Omloop is on cycling.tv.
  • Gweeds wrote:
    I'm personally finding it hard to get too stressed about this. In other news, men find women's bums attractive and vice versa.
    Perhaps because it is now 2015 and the poster is "celebrating" Peter Sagan effectively indecently assaulting a woman. It stinks imo, neanderthal nonsense.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    losmanos wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:
    I'm personally finding it hard to get too stressed about this. In other news, men find women's bums attractive and vice versa.
    Perhaps because it is now 2015 and the poster is "celebrating" Peter Sagan effectively indecently assaulting a woman. It stinks imo, neanderthal nonsense.

As far as I'm aware, under UK law it'd be sexual assault.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    edited February 2015
    Yup.

The poster has actually saddened me. Or rather, the reaction of some to the notion that it might be a teensy bit c**tish has saddened me.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    edited February 2015
    The_Boy wrote:
    Yup.

The poster has actually saddened me. Or rather, the reaction of some to the notion that it might be a teensy bit c**tish has saddened me.

Eloquently put :shock:

But in sentiment I agree with you. How it can be seen as anything other than, at the very least, inappopriate is beyond me.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • The_Boy
    edited February 2015
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    Yup.

I admit I like my language coarse. I also thought that would get pulled up by the filters. Have edited.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    The hand isn't actually touching her backside is it? He may just be pointing out that her pants are visible. :wink: either way it isn't 'assault' because he hasn't touched her, suggestive or otherwise.

And whoever she is almost certainly didn't mind seeing as she was getting paid for it.

Edit: after looking at it again it may not even be an actual woman's backside anyway, yes the suggestion is there and yes it's a bit inappropriate but it's a hand behind a backside, nothing more nothing less.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    iainf72 wrote:
    It being on Friday is the main problem.

Sickie day.

I know

They should move G-W to a Friday and have E3 on a Sunday. No one cares about G-W

I liked E3 Sunday G-W Wednesday, Flanders following Sunday. Bish bash bosh.

Oh Rick.

E3 was always on the Saturday.
  • rick_chasey
    OhTheShame.jpg
  • At least we're back to talking about the cycling.

There's been a lot of talk about the "real" start to the season, but we all know this comes when Boonen attacks on the Taainberg on Saturday
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    NorvernRob wrote:
    it isn't 'assault' because he hasn't touched her.
    Where did you go to law school?
    Be careful out there ;)
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    The same people complaining were probably the first people waiting at the cinema for 50 shades of grey tickets. :wink:
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • rick_chasey
    At least we're back to talking about the cycling.

There's been a lot of talk about the "real" start to the season, but we all know this comes when Boonen attacks on the Taainberg on Saturday

Got to expect Terpstra to do well surely.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    The_Boy wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    Yup.

I admit I like my language coarse. I also thought that would get pulled up by the filters. Have edited.

You might also want to edit your quote :oops:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

Looking for a contract now.... ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The_Boy
    NorvernRob wrote:
    The hand isn't actually touching her backside is it? He may just be pointing out that her pants are visible. :wink: either way it isn't 'assault' because he hasn't touched her, suggestive or otherwise.

And whoever she is almost certainly didn't mind seeing as she was getting paid for it.

Edit: after looking at it again it may not even be an actual woman's backside anyway, yes the suggestion is there and yes it's a bit inappropriate but it's a hand behind a backside, nothing more nothing less.

If only there was some way for us to derive the meaning of words and symbols through the context in which they are used...
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    Yup.

You might also want to edit your quote :oops:

Done.
  • The_Boy
    ddraver wrote:

Looking for a contract now.... ;)

That surprises me. I'd have thought E-QS would have given him a fat contract after last season.