The classics thread

1202122232426»

Comments

• thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Crampeur wrote:
    On the upside, his sock length choice has improved over the years.

Disagree. There are few things that look more stupid than socks eating half the calf.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I just can't get excited about the guy, he's exactly like Gerrans in the fact that he's tactically brilliant but it's a boring way to win. I can't blame him for it but it doesn't make for good viewing.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I just can't get excited about the guy, he's exactly like Gerrans in the fact that he's tactically brilliant but it's a boring way to win. I can't blame him for it but it doesn't make for good viewing.

I used to love his Prince of Spain bike, he seemed to be a lot more exciting rider when he rode that, attacking from further out. Can't think why he's not doing it any more...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    hammerite wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

I used to love his Prince of Spain bike, he seemed to be a lot more exciting rider when he rode that, attacking from further out. Can't think why he's not doing it any more...

That?:

pinarello+prince+of+spain.jpg

Yuk.

I know you are suggesting doping but could it be that he is 35 coupled with a bit of tactical wisdom? Gilbert could do with a drop of that, he has had a great career but it is petering put.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Paul 8v wrote:

Paul I reckon he is most certainly not a Gerrans. There are many examples of him going solo or in a break. The most recent example that springs to mind was Roma Maxima 2014 where he and Pozzo went from 40km out then he took the win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Paul 8v wrote:

Paul I reckon he is most certainly not a Gerrans. There are many examples of him going solo or in a break. The most recent example that springs to mind was Roma Maxima 2014 where he and Pozzo went from 40km out then he took the win.
    That's much more impressive, he never struck me as your sort of rider to be honest though Frenchie, at this point in time I see him and Gerrans as two peas in a pod, I don't dislike either of them as people but it's the cycling equivalent of goal hanging. It works but it's not glorious.

I know in the past he was a much more exciting, attacking rider (Before I got back in to the sport sadly) I suppose as he has got older the tactics take more of a role in how he wins rather than raw speed.

That prologue he did in Andalusia (?) A few years ago was pretty awesome though, now THAT I could watch all the time!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I don't know that in the past he was a 'much more exciting, attacking rider'. Can someone who was watching since he came onto the scene provide examples that this is the case? And youthful exuberance does not count.

Another example for you would be in the Tour de France where he went on a raid but Sky's power train caught him just before the line. The photo of it is included above. He also did a great move with Szymd on Ventoux from distance. The smaller Spanish races he knows how to make strong moves. In the Vuelta where Contador went for broke and won, Valverde was chasing a lot of the time and ended up only 6 secs down on Contador with Henao and a Euskaltel rider.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    hammerite wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

That?:

pinarello+prince+of+spain.jpg

Yuk.

Different times :oops: I think Russ Downing rode one of his cast offs at the time too.