The classics thread

Comments

• deejay wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Gee is a lovely guy but I don't believe he has the personality to win for himself...
    I disagree.
    I visited the 2009 Dwars door Vlaanderen and from memory he got away on the Nokereberg with a Belgian and they worked well together to open a gap.
    They were well clear as they passed the pub on the corner with one K to go and the Belgian outsmarted G in the sprint.
    He had personality that day.
    Oh, the Belgian was Kevin Van Impe (retired 2012 aged 30) who was Rudely asked for an out of competition Drug test while at a crematory for his deceased son. (remember that)

Now if the peloton did decide to watch Wiggo and not G or Ian then it could happen like it did for lucky old Stijn Devolder twice.

Wasn't that with Matti Breschel, when G was GB Champ? Or was that 2010?
  • deejay wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Gee is a lovely guy but I don't believe he has the personality to win for himself...
    I disagree.
    I visited the 2009 Dwars door Vlaanderen and from memory he got away on the Nokereberg with a Belgian and they worked well together to open a gap.
    They were well clear as they passed the pub on the corner with one K to go and the Belgian outsmarted G in the sprint.
    He had personality that day.
    Oh, the Belgian was Kevin Van Impe (retired 2012 aged 30) who was Rudely asked for an out of competition Drug test while at a crematory for his deceased son. (remember that)

Now if the peloton did decide to watch Wiggo and not G or Ian then it could happen like it did for lucky old Stijn Devolder twice.

Wasn't that with Matti Breschel, when G was GB Champ? Or was that 2010?

Thomas was 2nd to Nick Nuyens in 2011. Don't think he was 2nd in 2010 or 2009.
  • That's the one I'm thinking of, 2011. When G had promise that wasn't unfulfilled
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/sporten/v-wielrennen/1.2235924

Sorry to be a pain, but that's basically what he's saying here.

No that's interesting to hear. In a way it's not surprising to hear him be so candid but he usually saves that for after the event/race. I thought he would be more coy in the lead up. What says has truth though.

I'd like to think he's sandbagging a la Cav and his MSR victory - not because he's British but because I really think he could animate the race if he lays it down. I know, there's no precedent for that but he's surprised everyone before...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    The trouble Wiggo has is that he lacks a race winning "move". He doesnt have a jump like Canc or, to a lesser extent, Terpstra has to create a gap to allow one to time trial away. If he just sits on the front, pulling breaks back all day then he will be outsprinted in the velodrome by Boonen, Degenkolb et al.

It's a problem that affects a lot of the best TTers.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Liege baston Liege?
    Dan Martin?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Liege baston Liege?
    Dan Martin?

Certainly a favourite.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Liege baston Liege?
    Dan Martin?

Certainly a favourite.
    He was looking good for two in a row until he came off on the last corner last year. If he's in form and can stay upright I'd be hopeful. Of course everyone will be watching him too.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    ddraver wrote:
    The trouble Wiggo has is that he lacks a race winning "move".

I agree that's his big problem where him winning the thing is concerned. At the very least, it would be good to see him put the gas down a few times and get people suffering. That could do some serious damage. Last year's race felt quite conservative.

Same goes for LBL - hopefully things will kick off a little sooner. Dan Martin's victories are usually good value. He lays it down and goes for it.

I would really love to see Kwiatkowski in Flanders again. He put in a good show a few years back. I really think he can win all five monuments if he drops any GT ambitions.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138

Thomas was 2nd to Nick Nuyens in 2011. Don't think he was 2nd in 2010 or 2009
    Yes of course your right 2011 it was Nick Nuyens that outsmarted a knackered British Champion, G
    It had to be a nice day to tempt me on another midweek day trip for a couple of beers.
    The mid week races have local spectators and less of the International crowds with their buses from (D) (DK) (NL) (GB) and even (AT) and a bit like the old days.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • I cant help wondering if Wiggins couldn't have pushed on a bit in Roubaix last year.

He was in that group when Terpstra attacked.

Course, he may have been really spent, but he could have been reluctant as he was "learning about the race" and all that...
  • rick_chasey
    He was told to go with the next move and he missed it.

Simple as.
  • ddraver
    Is that what it was?

I remember in his post race interview he said that Thomas and he were both angry, but he stopped himself from saying why. I've never seen any sign of why that was. That would explain it a little
    - @ddraver
  • Watch the km or so before Terpstra goes... Wiggins seems to be sitting with some comfort at the back of that group.

I remember yelling at the tv for him to go.

A real chance gone I reckon.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Is it the most talked about 9th place in history?

I'm hoping that Sep finally gets a bit of luck and rides away from Cancellera. A passing of the crown and all of that.

I don't expect Boonen to do much.

I'd also like to see Cavendish get it together and win MSR, but that won't be easy.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    He was told to go with the next move and he missed it.

Simple as.
    Yep. Giant Shimano was riding for Degenkolb, and Sky was the only other team with more than one rider.

But didn't Terpstra say later in the season that he had used a little trick he'd learned on the track, attacking as close to the group as he could, where you're least likely to be spotted? Check at 44:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOXGU-kyj-I
  • Vanmarcke is an interesting one.

He has been there or thereabouts a couple of times without truly looking like a winner.

Could be his year.
  • rick_chasey
    FJS wrote:

But didn't Terpstra say later in the season that he had used a little trick he'd learned on the track, attacking as close to the group as he could, where you're least likely to be spotted? Check at 44:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOXGU-kyj-I

Is a bit counter intuitive.

Easier to grab his slipstream like that, in theory.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Is it the most talked about 9th place in history?
    Probably because he was the first Tour winner since LeMond to have a stab at it.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    It was a perfectly timed attack from Terpstra.

I never really understood why, assuming Wiggins was feeling ok, it was Geraint who eventually tried to bring Terpstra back and Wiggins just sat in the bunch. Surely the better strategy would have been for Wiggins to try and nail Terpstra back with Geraint trying to get something in the sprint? Maybe another example of Geraint being too submissive?
  • ddraver
    The question is what was that discussion between Wiggins and Thomas at 44:30 in FJS' link

Thomas' dig was not, after all, very effective
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    The question is what was that discussion between Wiggins and Thomas at 44:30 in FJS' link

i imagine they were banking on cancellara closing it down, he is probably the only one you could have but then he would have just towed the others back for the sprint, it is a shame Fab has missed out more than once because he hasn't had the team mates there who can make the difference.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    They were screaming at GT from the car that Wiggo needed a breather. Simon Fuller was on the blower, and G's Captain Scarlet Weetabix endorsement was on the line. As soon as that boat-anchor Wigwarmer retires, Stannard and Thomas will flourish.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

i imagine they were banking on cancellara closing it down, he is probably the only one you could have but then he would have just towed the others back for the sprint, it is a shame Fab has missed out more than once because he hasn't had the team mates there who can make the difference.

True...

I'm not sure though. I may have been twisted and warped by pro dutch propoganda but watching again just now I was increasingly of the impression that Nicki was just on a perfect day. The one that should have chased was Degenkolb as soon as he realised his team mate couldn't.

It's easy to sit on a forum askING why didn't xxx chase but after 260km most of them are sitting there thinking they only have one, or even half an attack left in them so they'd better make it count!!
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    edited February 2015
    It happens time and again, same when Martin sprung at Lombardia last year, everyone just looked at each other waiting for someone to make a move.
  • Lars Boom not getting a mention? I know he didn't beat a top class and up-for-it field over the cobbles at the TdF last year (as far as cobbles go), but it was still good.

I hope it finally rains at PR this year. That would blow it open for someone like Stybar and maybe give Sagan a better chance. And it'd be great to watch.
  • ddraver
    Lars Boom gets mentioned every year then does nothing. Lars Boom? More like Lars Splat! Huh Huh...hmmmm
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Not good enough over 200km.
  • I hope it rains for Roubaix but is blazing hot for Flanders... well the sportive.

Boom is a decent shout, its whether Astana want to push him in that direction.
  • ddraver
    Jim - I did RVV last year in the blazing sunshine. This year me and my mate are doing it. I have never done a dry event with this man. I swear he is a rain god.
    - @ddraver