The Cycling Podcast

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,166
    Ok and who's everyone's favourite contributor? (Ciro is excluded...)
    I like Orla Chewbacca myself. Andy Hood knows his stuff, but I can't escape the feeling that he's probably a bit of a tw@t. Seb Piquet is decent. But like Top Gear (of old) it works best when all three are together.

(Also in my head Orla Chewbacca and Richard Moore are having an affair)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    RichN95 wrote:
    narbs wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Well... the race didn't make it easy to make an interesting podcast each night. But I missed Friebe. He's the best of the three.

Haven't listened to the more recent KM0s but they were decent. Though the attempted SA accent for the KM0 intros grated each time I heard it. Interesting reveal in one of the episodes that it is Richard's wife that does all the accented intros.

Surely not French Podcast Lady?

Another of my dreams shattered.
    I think Mrs Moore is actually French though. I remember Lionel Birnie reviewing the meal they got at her parents' house last Tour.

Ah, makes sense.

It's thanks to her and her pronunciation of Reims a couple of years ago that I occasionally get mistaken for a competent French speaker.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    (Ciro is excluded...)

Bullsheet.

He says, simultaneously answering the question and voicing objection.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,133
    I could listen to Francois Thomazeau all day.

But I like the variety of contributors, it adds different perspectives to the podcast, which is good. I think they've done the Ciro joke to death, but that apart it's excellent.
  • Francois Thomazeau absolutely my favourite guest of the Tour podcasts

As for the regulars:

Friebe is the best. He has the best knowledge of what's going on amongst the teams, he definitely gets the best gossip, and his historical knowledge is excellent

Then Birnie. His race analysis and summaries are really good

Then Moore. I do find his memory veers towards shocking tho (riders names, races, date years etc) which is a bit irritating
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Agree with Francois Thomazeau, a pleasure to listen to. Seb Piquet is also very good but his English is so fluent that he doesn't sound properly French, so loses a point.

I think they missed Friebe this Tour. His depth of knowledge means he can link the others' occasional rambles into a coherent conversation.

I do think the Ciro thing is wearing a bit thin, particularly as he has a tendency to disappear mid-sentence.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Thomazeau for me.

I liked Fretz but I didn't find his supposed tech knowledge to be quite as good as they cracked it up to be. I can't remember the specifics but there was one thing he said in the disc brakes KM0 which was definitely out of date.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I think we probably underestimate how tricky it is to find interesting stuff to say every day then recording it while stood next to the rubbish bins, as happened last week. Most of the time they strike a good balance between analysis and banter. I think each contributor brings a clearly distinctive voice as well as interviews and nuggets from different sources.

Guests like Thomazeau and Piquet mean we get to hear perspectives on the race, and particularly non-Anglophone riders, that you'd otherwise not hear. The KM 0 on the Zone Technique was fascinating, the Ventoux special explained the mystique of the mountain better than anything I've come across. Didn't bother with the KM 0 on disc brakes, that's one for equipment geeks.

Thankfully there wasn't much of Ciro. I really don't want to know about beaches, it's not The Holiday Programme.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I honestly don't know how as a cycling journalist Ciro can't like mountains.

As for the whole beach/Italian riveria/hatred of mountains schtick he comes across like Mario Cipollini's manic cousin.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,204
    The beaches thing is getting rather tired now but Ciro still makes me smile when he comes on the Podcast.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,166
    The main attraction of Ciro is that he pronounces beach like b1tch so he always like a bad misogynistic rapper. "Listeners I need to find a b1tch to lie on"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mccrear
    Mccrear Posts: 256
    i think ciro has had his time, and the occasional contribution would be plenty as he doesnt actually say much of intetrest. Also he isnt a cycling journalist - he just happened to be asked to cover Nibali, and then Aru by extension, but he never claims to be an expert/lover of cycling. He can be quite funny but he is clearly marmite.

i always found them to be fairly funny as a trio, and consdiering its free/cheap i find it odd that we (i include myself) to be so critical. Compared to some of the other cycling podcasts it is excellent.

+1 for Orla - really interesting. Would like them to try and get Sarah Connelly or Ottilie Quince involved for the womens editions as always find them insightful too.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I am assuming everyone has seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFQFvSPhQ8

I would like to say in my defence that it was an Italian that first showed me this who thought it was hilarious before I get accused of a Bojoism.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    RichN95 wrote:
    The main attraction of Ciro is that he pronounces beach like b1tch so he always like a bad misogynistic rapper. "Listeners I need to find a b1tch to lie on"

Indeed. "I follow the race for the b1thces" :lol::lol:
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    edited July 2016
    Mccrear wrote:
    i think ciro has had his time, and the occasional contribution would be plenty as he doesnt actually say much of intetrest. Also he isnt a cycling journalist - he just happened to be asked to cover Nibali, and then Aru by extension, but he never claims to be an expert/lover of cycling. He can be quite funny but he is clearly marmite.

i always found them to be fairly funny as a trio, and consdiering its free/cheap i find it odd that we (i include myself) to be so critical. Compared to some of the other cycling podcasts it is excellent.

+1 for Orla - really interesting. Would like them to try and get Sarah Connelly or Ottilie Quince involved for the womens editions as always find them insightful too.

Ciro isn't a cycling journalist'? Not true. He is indeed a cycling journalist for GdS, and is apparently a very decent one. Scored a good few scoops for GdS, and writes very well according to those who read his articles
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I enjoyed it greatly.

Just listening to the wine related KM0 whilst sitting relaxing in the garden.
  • bobmcstuff
    I enjoyed the wine KM0 very much.
  • Mccrear
    Mccrear Posts: 256
    Sorry i must confess ; ) that i didnt phrase that very well. Ciro is a sports journalist who covers cycling, rather than a cycling journalist IMO. He only covers races with the Italian stars, otherwise he confesses that he has no real interest in it. I think that helps keep his stuff "breezy" but can be frustrating as he must be pretty well placed to give further insight, but he doesnt seem to. Although he is good for the odd bit of transfer goss.

Regardless of that, i do quite like him but he can be annoying. i dont doubt he is as OTT as he comes across, but its pretty grating.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,955
    Heads up.
    They're doing a daily podcast from the Vuelta
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bobmcstuff
    Wondering if Freibe will be back - what are ITV doing for the Vuelta? Just highlights packages again?
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Likewise.

Be good to have a ham related KM0 in the Vuelta perhaps?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Likewise.

Be good to have a ham related KM0 in the Vuelta perhaps?
    Request it on their Facebook... I might.

Went to Barcelona earlier in the year, and ate so much ham... Love that stuff!
  • bobmcstuff
    Done

They replied to you/us (I assume it is your comment I replied to ;) )

No KM0s planned for the Vuelta but they WILL do a segment on ham in one of the regular episodes for us :D:lol:
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,158
    Great news, any chance they'll include carving tips? We've got a leg in at the moment, nearly lost a finger the other day.

Not sure that would work on audio only, but any tips would be welcome.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    Great news, any chance they'll include carving tips? We've got a leg in at the moment, nearly lost a finger the other day.

Not sure that would work on audio only, but any tips would be welcome.

*applause*
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Done

No KM0s planned for the Vuelta but they WILL do a segment on ham in one of the regular episodes for us :D:lol:

It was indeed :)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Done

It was indeed :)
    They mentioned the request on the Stage 2 podcast :D
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,566
    Only up to stage 3 but the episodes are shorter because they aren't including any interviews as they aren't at the race yet.

But they are really missing Friebe... having Moore and Hatch last night really emphasized how much Moore and Birnie in a cafe just sound like two old men in a pub.