Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Dinyull wrote:
    kenito wrote:

My eyes, MY EYES!!!!!

I preferred the first link...

Looks like a Trek Project One test after the pub :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Dinyull wrote:
    kenito wrote:

My eyes, MY EYES!!!!!

I preferred the first link...

That's quite possibly the worst colour scheme that I have ever seen on a bike.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • kenito
    kenito Posts: 13
    "distinctive yet understated....."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138706020 ... ed-public/
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    kenito wrote:

IMHO, only if you are on hallucinogenics or living in a parallel dimension where such assaults on the eyes are acceptable.

That said, the only opinion that really matters is that of the person riding it. So long as they are happy, ballox to to the rest of them.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    While cycling home today in the dark and fog I caught a long strip of compacted snow on the road (probably a couple of cm wide and a metre or more long). My front wheel started to slide sideways and I thought I was going down. I think the front mudguard caught against my foot as the front wheel started to turn and it kind of jammed the front wheel between my foot and the edge of the snow strip. I rolled over it and hadn’t fallen over. The jolt of starting to fall and then stopping when the guard caught my foot jarred my shoulder and neck, and I bit my tongue!

Turns out a little bit of toe overlap can be quite handy sometimes (although it’s no substitute for looking where you’re going).
  • redvee
    I've broke my London Road frame :( This explains the noises I couldn't cure recently. I did notice the crack last week and it appeared to clean up but I can now make the gap wider plus I have a similar crack on the otherside of the frame.

30086855_1787920297938710_3927336331893538816_n.jpg

I've got the cash to buy a replacement frame but PX haven't got any mediums in stock of any colour.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    How old is it?

And isn't there some sort of warranty beyond a year for things like that?
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Wow that's not good! Can you trace it back to a certain event, or do you think it was always weak and just opening over time?
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    redvee wrote:
    I've broke my London Road frame :( This explains the noises I couldn't cure recently. I did notice the crack last week and it appeared to clean up but I can now make the gap wider plus I have a similar crack on the otherside of the frame.

30086855_1787920297938710_3927336331893538816_n.jpg

I've got the cash to buy a replacement frame but PX haven't got any mediums in stock of any colour.

I have a large zesty coming up for sale soon if you fit?
  • That'll buff out, or wrap some more duct tape around it
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • redvee
    Dinyull wrote:

I'm on medium London Roads which is the size they don't have in stock in any colour.
    BigMonka wrote:
    Wow that's not good! Can you trace it back to a certain event, or do you think it was always weak and just opening over time?

I did hit a pothole hard a few weeks back and that seems to be the only hard impact the frame has taken.
    dstev55 wrote:
    How old is it?

And isn't there some sort of warranty beyond a year for things like that?

Bought in July 2015, first ridden August 2015. Frame warranty is 2 years :(
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Made it out of warranty, just! Good design! Now they can sell you another one with as little time wasted post warranty as possible. If purchasing hadn't messed up with their production run ordering that is.

Good bike though.

Reminds me, I need to start checking my London road out. I've never really checked it over since I had a bad pothole experience over 2 years ago. Plus a kind of crash that had me scooting along on my rear derailleur and big chainring after I lost my rear wheel once. It seems tough frame.

I guess I stole your luck with this bike! I hope you get a replacement soon. I reckon it's a decent bike despite your frame damage.

Just out of curiosity, where are the likely frame weak points I should check over? Does the frame have a history of failure at certain points on the frame or is it the usual places like other frames (and what are those places?).
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    redvee wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:

I'm on medium London Roads which is the size they don't have in stock in any colour.

No worries.

Just saw an opportunity, if you were between sizes like I am. I switched from a medium to large because of toe overlap.

Hope you get sorted though, just having a quick look on their site, they don't have many frames available in any sizes!
  • garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    Anyone upgrade their London Road wheelset? I'm looking for suggestions... Still have the stock wheelset (and tyres - shows how much use the bike got after I bought it!) but I've dusted her off, and I've been out a bit and I feel like the wheels and tyres could be where I could get a decent gain...

Edit: Oh, and while I'm asking - what specs do I need to look out for compatibility wise - asked Planet X Live chat and then stupidly didn't save the conversation - was sure he said something along the lines of 700c, 6 bolt, 12mm (or was it 9mm?) axle.

There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to what specs actually get listed for any given wheelset though...
  • redvee
    Bad news from Planet X this morning, warranty is confirmed as two years and no more London road frames arriving with the current design as they are relaunching it later this year. Given that news my options are to keep the Zesty as a commute bike and change the spec to the silver one and get a second bike on C2W later this year or get the frame repaired which seems the easier option.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Probably going to be relaunching with a flat mount option, opens up a lot of cheap shimano hydraulic groupset options for them.

Short warranty has definitely put me off buying Planet X in the past, I'm good at killing bikes.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Garnett wrote:
    Anyone upgrade their London Road wheelset? I'm looking for suggestions... Still have the stock wheelset (and tyres - shows how much use the bike got after I bought it!) but I've dusted her off, and I've been out a bit and I feel like the wheels and tyres could be where I could get a decent gain...

Edit: Oh, and while I'm asking - what specs do I need to look out for compatibility wise - asked Planet X Live chat and then stupidly didn't save the conversation - was sure he said something along the lines of 700c, 6 bolt, 12mm (or was it 9mm?) axle.

There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to what specs actually get listed for any given wheelset though...

I'll probably go for a set of Hunt 4seasons next winter. At £299 they get great reviews and can be made compatible with any disc brake standard or size.
  • garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    dstev55 wrote:
    Garnett wrote:

I'll probably go for a set of Hunt 4seasons next winter. At £299 they get great reviews and can be made compatible with any disc brake standard or size.
    Thanks. Not heard of those. Look decent. I know wheels are important but, wow. I think I paid £600 for the entire bike (c2w scheme).

Anyone know where I can pick up a set with as good reviews but for £200? :mrgreen:
  • redvee
    Have opted for a Full Monty frame and forks as a replacement, which is cheaper then buying a Full Monty frame and forks by £125. Will have to buy a seatpost, headset and seatclamp, other than that I have all I need to get the bike on the road.
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/ZC10006/p ... tic-damage

Not too sure if this is any good....
  • redvee
    jp1970 wrote:

Did look at that but made the mistake of going large when I bought a Kaffenback and felt too stretched even with a shorter stem.
  • redvee
    Meet Monty

30855939_254354325109360_987182616484511744_n.jpg

The replacement for the London Road frame I broke, I just swapped the parts from the old frame onto this one over the weekend. New parts needed were the headset, cause I wasn't going to get the crown race off the old forks though I think they would have swapped over with no issues, seatpost being a different diameter and stem cause the top tube is slightly longer. New cables and bar tape were ready for the old bike but hadn't got round to fitting them. Glad I didn't now. A total mismatch of parts: 5700 shifters, 6600 rear mech, Tiagra chainset, Hope hubs.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Glad you got something sorted, relatively quickly.

Can I ask what's with all the tape/innertubes? I see this a lot on messenger bikes, living in London, but have never really got it!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • redvee
    Ben6899 wrote:

Can I ask what's with all the tape/innertubes? I see this a lot on messenger bikes, living in London, but have never really got it!

In work we have sheffield stands that aren't kind to paintwork. With the frame wrapped in innertubes I can be not so careful with the bike and lock. I had nine days on the other bike so it was a quick turnaround, helped by my rest days falling on a weekend which gave me time to build the new bike up after stripping the old one down.
    Somehow I've got two spare LR gear hangers plus the one on the old frame and possibly selling the old silver forks & headset on Ebay.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    that looks a proper commuter bike nicely done.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    redvee wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

In work we have sheffield stands that aren't kind to paintwork. With the frame wrapped in innertubes I can be not so careful with the bike and lock.

Ah fair enough. I personally wouldn't be bothered with my commuter, but each to their own!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    How is the Full Monty? I quite like the look of the frameset. does it ride like a road bike or more like an off-road bike? And the listed weigh seems quite heavy, especially the fork. Speaking of which - why didn't you use the mudguard eyelets on the dropouts?
  • redvee
    It rides the same as the old London Road which was set up more as a road bike. The mudguards are mounted on the forks like that cause that's where they were on the London Road and I didn't have any stays to bend round the calliper. The front guard simply unbolted from the London Road and bolted in place on the Full Monty with very little adjustment needed.
  • mikey2341
    mikey2341 Posts: 170
    Sorry to revive an old thread...

Looking at pulling the trigger on a flat barred version of this for a 12.5 mile each way commute, riding on towpath / road. Anyone use one of these for that? Looks good value at £699 with hydraulic brakes
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Had my drop barred one for a good few years now. Good bike IMHO.