And now Max Iglinskiy done for EPO

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    He had a very successful career at U23 level in Italy, in races such as the mountainous Giro della Valle d'Aosta, but given the appalling record they have in this category, I'm not sure it can be accepted as a safe marker for anything.

I have to admit that I had my opinion coloured by watching him battle Joe Dombrowski for the baby Giro title and seeing the American take him apart on the Gavia.
    If ever two careers have "progressed" in opposite directions, since....
    There are so many different takes on this. One the one hand you could take what you seem to imply, with Aru's much faster improvement than Dombrowski seen as suspicious; another view would be taking Aru's progress as the natural progress of a super-talent, and Dombrowski's progress at SKY more parallel to Tiernan-Locke's. It's all incredibly hypothetical
  • Dombrowski has had a major injury too.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Dombrowski has had a major injury too.

And no Vino leading the team...
  • The UCI has announced that Viktor Okishev from the continental team has tested positive for Anabolic Androgenic Steroids in a sample collected at the Asian Cycling Championships on 29 May 2014
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Is that sort of delay usual, or is this them going back and double checking? I assume the former.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • joelsim
    Vino, Vino!

Cracking news. Nibs and Aru are going to be in trouble.
  • Grubby team run by a dodgy ba$tard. They should be binned for the 2015 season.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Grubby team run by a dodgy ba$tard. They should be binned for the 2015 season.

Can't turn a blind eye to this. Still don't think Nibs and Aru are dopers, but this is getting daft.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Oh God!! We still believe Dumbo is real and can fly!! Wake Up!! How many doping suspensions does it take to get fanboys to get the gist! They're professional riders who get paid to win without getting caught which means they dope to as much as they can get away with. If not, they end up riding slower than Christophe Bassons. (the most talented French rider since Hinault but didn't dope) :cry: I do cry for your tormented souls. It is easier on yourself when you stop believing in a clean sport you know.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Oh God!! We still believe Dumbo is real and can fly!! Wake Up!!
    But Dumbo could fly. I think you may have missed the point of that particular film. (I don't think anyone thought he was real)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jerry3571
    Good point. I'm dumbofounded now. :D
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    how stupid do you have to be to get caught though ? They know the glow time of when they are hot and the testers only come in the morning. If you are hot just skip a test.

Still only the lower down riders getting caught, does that mean the bigger stars are clean or just more ahead of the testers
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    I think it more shows how desperate/stupid/lazy they are to get to the next level.

Recently looked at some of the results from races in China and it amazes me at the level of some of the winners.

Tour of Fuzhou for example, 3 Iranian riders on the podium. Well ahead of some good riders lower down the results.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • RichN95.
    sherer wrote:
    Still only the lower down riders getting caught, does that mean the bigger stars are clean or just more ahead of the testers
    Iglinsky's a monument winner, Kreuziger top 5 at the Tour, Ulissi a double Giro stage winner (although he may have been cleared?), Rabottini a Giro KOM and Menchov a three time GT winner.

People have been saying 'the big stars never get caught' for over a decade, but most of them that doped have been.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Some comments from Nibs: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/n ... -de-france

Relevant bits
    “Apart from the obvious reaction – anger – my main feeling was that this was unbelievably stupid. It did not make any sense. He had just renewed his contract. He did not have a massive goal to chase. Our sponsors in Kazakhstan weren’t happy at all. We were in Kazakhstan the week after [at the Tour of Almaty] and there was such a feeling of betrayal because he is a Kazak rider.”

At the time Nibali had said: “The mother of the imbecile is always pregnant.” He smiles sadly. “We say this in Italy but it sums up my feelings perfectly. The great things we’re trying to achieve can be jeopardised by a single rider. That’s why it’s so upsetting. One mistake can ruin so much. But I believe cycling is the cleanest sport because of all the doping controls.”

Iglinskiy’s brother, Valentin, had already been suspended in September after failing a test for EPO. “Same family,” Nibali shrugs. The problem for Nibali is that Maxim Iglinskiy, if not his brother, was part of his Tour team. “Yes,” Nibali concedes. “But he was not part of my training team. I have a training team of seven and he was never part of it. The two other members of the team are chosen at the last minute. They are like a filler.”

Did he speak to Iglinskiy after the positive result? “No,” Nibali exclaims. “He disappeared.”

Nibali would love to win some of the Classics and it must infuriate him that, in 2012, he finished second to Iglinskiy in Liège–Bastogne–Liège? “Yes, yes,” Nibali says, raising his hands helplessly. “It’s normal to feel that. But the past is the past.”

Last month, a third Astana rider, Ilya Davidenok, tested positive for anabolic steroids. “This guy is not from our team,” Nibali insists. “Astana has a satellite team of youngsters. It’s a completely different team. I dug up a little info on [Davidenok] because I didn’t even know who he was. I discovered he was racing with the Kazakh national team. So only the brothers were really associated with Astana and the Kazakhstan federation has been very tough on them. It’s right that they should.”

Does Nibali feel bitter that he has been tainted by association? “No. I’m just surprised. Today we have a biological passport, regular doping control, race controls. If you are doping, you will be caught. Even if the technique of doping can be advanced you will still be caught in another four years. It makes me laugh. Risking and cheating today is for stupid people.”

Did he have any doubts signing for Vinokourov? “No. I didn’t actually sign with Vino [the general manager]. I signed with the team owner and with Giuseppe Martinelli [Astana’s team-manager] who I know well. The key thing is that they agreed I would take my whole group. This gave me the opportunity to lead my own team.”

Nibali smiles when asked if there is anything he could do differently. “If I think too much about the doubters it would not be good.”
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    Iglinsky's a monument winner, Kreuziger top 5 at the Tour, Ulissi a double Giro stage winner (although he may have been cleared?), Rabottini a Giro KOM and Menchov a three time GT winner.

People have been saying 'the big stars never get caught' for over a decade, but most of them that doped have been.

Armstrong, Ulrich, Heras, Riis, Simoni, Garzelli, Savoldeli, Aitor González, Basso, Landis, Vinokourov, Di Luca, Contador, Menchov.

All of these are GT winners - all of these have been either caught, admitted, or served bans.
  • jerry3571
    I think in the Tour of Beijing most riders would be testing positive for Carbon Monoxide. :D

-Jacques Anquetil
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Number 5 just been caught...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sherer
    ddraver wrote:

don't tease us. Who is it this time ?
  • RichN95.
    edited November 2014
    sherer wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Some Kazakh kid from the development team called Artur Fedessowhatever.

They're just hilarious, aren't they?
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    sherer wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Fedosseyev. On the Astana Conti team.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • sherer
    from reading stuff in the press earlier on in the year seems there are two teams in one. The Kazakh side and the Italian side as well as the conti side that are all Kazakh
  • joelsim
    Only a matter of time before Lutsenko, Aru and Nibs then. Either that or very poor seasons next year for all of them.
  • #Twittermeltdown

...but no name
  • joelsim
    Fedosseyev
  • Does this count as a new biggest "systematic doping regime" than LA's? He'll be jealous!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • joelsim
    They obviously have a doctor who doesn't know what he is doing to pass the tests
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    So... five riders across two Astana sponsored team... all Kazakh... 3 done for steroids all riding for the Kazakh development team...
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,396
    Surely their WT licence must be in very serious doubt now, even though they'll claim they're separate teams.