And now Max Iglinskiy done for EPO

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2015 in Pro race
Good old Astana
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    They sit out a race now?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Quelle surprise.

That team is a pox on the sport and shows, yet again, that there needs to be some kind of fit and proper person test on who can run a team.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193
    Anyone keeping a count of doping positives for MPCC teams versus the others?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Everyone still on board with Nibali and the rest of the Astana team being clean?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    They sit out a race now?
    Theoretically, yes. But there seems to be confusion as to whether it takes effect from the positive A sample or B test/confession.
    It's intriguing because this Sunday is Kazakhstan's big one day race the Tour of Almaty with Nibali in the Astana team.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Pokerface wrote:
    Everyone still on board with Nibali and the rest of the Astana team being clean?

No
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Epo-positive..

At least give it a proper go if you want to cheat..
  • Pokerface wrote:

So are we talking cover ups again then??? I'm guessing Nibali would have been one of the most tested at this years TDF.
  • joelsim
    Does that make a difference?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    He would be one of the most tested, yes. I'm fairly sure he is far less dirty than these 2 idiots. Epo is so 2009.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Pokerface wrote:

I'd love to assume Nibs won the TdF clean but it was a bit Armstrong-esque how he avoided all pitfalls and won at will. A 3 week race usually leaves a mark.

Benefit of the doubt says everyone else failed around him. Time will tell if he is/was the real deal.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • I said it during the Tour and I'll say it again...Nibs was off his t*ts on gear. It's just a matter of time...
  • RichN95.
    type:epyt wrote:
    I'd love to assume Nibs won the TdF clean but it was a bit Armstrong-esque how he avoided all pitfalls and won at will. A 3 week race usually leaves a mark.

Benefit of the doubt says everyone else failed around him. Time will tell if he is/was the real deal.
    On the other hand his nearest challenger was a 37 year old who doesn't have a World Tour win to his name. He didn't beat anyone he hasn't beaten many times before.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Of course Nibali is clean.

Funny how I mentioned likelihood of Max being guilty given Valentin was...

So he stole a LBL win from Nibali in 2012.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    RichN95 wrote:
    type:epyt wrote:

On the other hand his nearest challenger was a 37 year old who doesn't have a World Tour win to his name. He didn't beat anyone he hasn't beaten many times before.

Hence paragraph 2.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Tend to agree with Rich, nothing in the way he won the race screamed cheat. This news does cast doubt on Astana but then Nibali does seem to have been at odds with the Astana management at times this year, we've read about an Italian/Kazakh split in the team and even if there is some team sponsored doping going on It doesn't mean Nibali is juiced.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    The thing with EPO is that the tests for it are a lot better and it's a lot more high risk. But it's also inexpensive and easy to get hold of. So it's still tempting for a mid to low level pro working alone, but it's not really something you'd have much in a team approved program (particularly around race time like the Iglinskiy bros).
  • thomthom
    Of course Nibali is clean.

Funny how I mentioned likelihood of Max being guilty given Valentin was...

Yet you won't jump that bandwagon when the talk is about Andy.
  • frenchfighter
    Why would I? Frank got sidelined for showing the presence of some non-performance enhancing substance. Epo is something else entirely.

If one of the Schlecks got done I would be 95% sure the other was aware.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95 wrote:
    The thing with EPO is that the tests for it are a lot better and it's a lot more high risk. But it's also inexpensive and easy to get hold of. So it's still tempting for a mid to low level pro working alone, but it's not really something you'd have much in a team approved program (particularly around race time like the Iglinskiy bros).

All true, but in this day and passport age you would hope, if not expect, a top WT team to have measures in place
    to make if difficult for old scholar epo doping to go completely undetected.
    Depending upon how team bosses view doping and prioritise anti doping, of course. :wink:

We've had a raft of epo positives in the last 12 months or so and many have occurred in team clusters.
    Maxim Iglinskiy – UCI Provisional Suspension

Astana Pro Team response to UCI confirmation 1.10.14 that Iglinskiy M. cannot participate in competition until adjudication of his case on the merits or the lifting of the provisional suspension by the UCI Anti-Doping Commission or the CAS -

“Astana Pro Team Management announces an adverse analytical finding for EPO has been registered for rider Maxim Iglinskiy – ‘

“In accordance with regulations of the MPCC (Mouvement Pour un Cyclisme Crédible) to which the Astana team first adhered in 2013, the rider is suspended provisionally and shall remain out of competition in anticipation of the results from the B analysis -“

“All Astana Pro Team riders are contractually obliged to respect strict ethical rules and regulations,” said Astana Pro Team General Manager Alexandr Vinokurov -

” We will not tolerate any indulgences by any one entity, person or structure that violates these rules – I am very disappointed and angered that this rider could not have understood the basis of our rules and the importance of our ethics -“

“It is especially unacceptable on the part of a Kazakh rider who stands for the image of our team and the image of our country -“

I'm sorry, but I can't help laughing at the bold bit.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    That'll teach him to go ahead and win LBL so easily after I allowed the massive price to convince me the bookies knew something I didn't *shakes fist*.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    two brothers getting done for EPO is more likely to be an isolated case compared to team organised doping.

If it was an Italian and Iglinskiy getting caught then I would be suspicious
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    True, and Rich's point about the drug of choice also. Interesting that a number of riders have been caught for it recently though including Slovenian prospect Kumar who won a major international junior/under 23 (not exactly sure which) race recently. Surely he must know he's going to be tested if he wins so either some of them are very stupid or there is still a belief out there that they can use it and get away with it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • joelsim
    The fact (still) remains that EPO is still very difficult to detect when taken in small doses, and any doctor worth his salt can play with blood values to minimise the risk from this.
  • An Astana positive test never surprises me.

They are a poor excuse for a team.
  • thomthom
    Why would I? Frank got sidelined for showing the presence of some non-performance enhancing substance. Epo is something else entirely.

Frank has been busted twice.
  • Well, were they acting in isolation and given this is the second brother to go down in a month for the same offense,
    you would expect the team to react swiftly and in exactly the same manner, no?
    Or perhaps like me, given Astana and their boss's track record and the fact that this time, it impacts upon the team, you wouldn't............

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astana- ... e-analysis

E viola.
    Yet Vino has the cheek to issue a press release and talk about ethics.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    ThomThom wrote:

No, he wasn't 'busted' for Puerto.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    With Astana's slightly chequered past when it come to this sort of thing how can they really be part of the the Movement for Credible Cycling (MPCC) :roll: Seems a bit hypocritical to me :lol: Doesn't really do the sport any favours does it.

With several positive tests in the past 12 months they should suspend themselves in advance of the Giro di Lombardia.

It would also impact the team’s participation in the Tour of Beijing, what a shame :roll:

Will they do any of this, who knows?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • thomthom
    ThomThom wrote:

No, he wasn't 'busted' for Puerto.

No, the 7k Euros was just for advice wasn't it.. He had the guy you are calling a mastermind of cycling as mentor, coach, manager and team owner but opted for some good old 7k advice from our good old friend..