Help: Boardman HT Comp 650b, Sell Or Keep?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How long until someone goes too far?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm trying very, very hard not to.

But it's hard.

Very hard.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Perhaps this thread is now ready for Crudcatcher?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    cooldad wrote:

But it's hard.

Very hard.

Me too.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    cooldad wrote:

But it's hard.

Very hard.

Me too.

May the lord give you the strength you need.
  • Cody
    Cody Posts: 565
    Thanks. My aim is not to convert anyone, I'm merely expressing an opinion subject to some statements made by others. Believe or don't believe, it's up to you, but my advice is, don't just believe in deluded nothingness and the Theory of Evolution which is just a theory and has been refuted and proven wrong so many times, and is the basis for the prevalence of the disbelief in the oneness of god.

Like I said in response to your statement, my imaginary friend is what keeps me going. Just like cycling may keep some of you occupied and is way of life for some of you, this is my chosen way of life, and I believe is the only natural way of life which is a systematical system and complete code for ethics and behaviour and everything else.

I guess being a good person is not just the point, you can't be good and want to live a life free from obligation of worship. Unless you didn't know about god and religion then you have a temporary excuse not to, but Jesus (peace be upon him) and all the prophets said the message of god will reach everyone so on the day of judgement they can't say they were never told.

Revelation reveals the truth.

Anyway, I hope you all have a nice weekend. Thanks so much for all the advice, really appreciated.

I will need plenty more bike advice in the coming few months, so watch out, codys about :)
  • Cody
    it's my prayer time now, and after I shall go for a bike ride :)
  • cooldad
    Cody wrote:
    ... don't just believe in deluded nothingness and the Theory of Evolution which is just a theory and has been refuted and proven wrong so many times, and is the basis for the prevalence of the disbelief in the oneness of god.
    I resisted until you posted absolute shite about real, as opposed to imaginary stuff.

Assuming science isn't your strong point, a scientific theory isn't something unproven, that would be a hypothesis.
    A theory is something with proof, and there is plenty of absolute fact about evolution.

There is however, no factual base to religion, hence based on faith.

Spend some of your free time reading something other than your bible and you might learn something.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Or maybe I'll help you

Misogyny

“I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

Genocide

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

Infanticide

“Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)

Homophobia

“In the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error.” (Romans 1:27)

Slavery

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

Rape

“So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, ‘Get up; let’s go.’ But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.” (Judges 19:25-28)

And stupidity

“And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord, and said, ‘If you will give the Ammonites into my hand, then whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return victorious from the Ammonites, shall be the Lord’s, to be offered up by me as a burnt-offering.’ Then Jephthah came to his home at Mizpah; and there was his daughter coming out to meet him with timbrels and with dancing. She was his only child; he had no son or daughter except her. When he saw her, he tore his clothes, and said, ‘Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low; you have become the cause of great trouble to me. For I have opened my mouth to the Lord, and I cannot take back my vow.’” (Judges 11:30-1, 34-5)

No thanks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Or to put it simply.

Bacon.

Nomnomnom.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    Cody wrote:
    ... don't just believe in deluded nothingness and the Theory of Evolution which is just a theory and has been refuted and proven wrong so many times, and is the basis for the prevalence of the disbelief in the oneness of god.
    I resisted until you posted absolute shite about real, as opposed to imaginary stuff.

Assuming science isn't your strong point, a scientific theory isn't something unproven, that would be a hypothesis.
    A theory is something with proof, and there is plenty of absolute fact about evolution.

Spend some of your free time reading something other than your bible and you might learn something.

I'm always amazed that they still do the old "But it's only theory." thing. You'd think they'd have put out a memo about that one by now.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Religion, the cause of all evil.

God told me to do it........

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • I stopped singing all things bright and beautiful after studying paleontology.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Cody wrote:

Firstly, I have to say I think this thread is getting ridiculous. This is a cycling forum, not one for spreading religious and non-religious views. I have no problem with religion, but it is nothing more than faith that you are right and that at the end you have faith you will be judged accordingly. Religion has its place in the world, but is also the cause of the majority of evil within it.

However, my understanding of theory is different to your's, Cooldad. A theorem is something with absolute proof, and will have a mathematical or possibly scientific basis. For a theory you may have supporting evidence, but no absolute proof, which is why Evolution remains a theory. There is no absolute 100% proof. Given that evolution is over such a long period of time, it is not possible to witness it first hand. You have merely an account of the past on which to base your idea that evolution has taken place. There is no experimental data, to the best of my knowledge, proving evolution beyond all doubt. I would be interested to see your absolute "fact" about evolution.

I do believe in the Big Bang and Evolution, for me it is the most plausible reasoning to our existence here on Earth. I don't believe in a God, in the bible, the Qu'ran or other religious book. My partner believes in God, but not religion. Religion is nothing more than a concept used to justify too much evil in the world.

It is an interesting debate, but one worth of its own thread not whether someone should sell a bike or not. And by the way, I think you should sell it. Going out for five minutes and classing it as a ride means that you aren't really interested in it that much, especially not mountain biking. Maybe selling the mountain bike and getting a hybrid may be more appropriate. And please stop spouting religious views. If people start presenting non or anti-religious views, they can often get in trouble for not being politically correct. Well, religious people should respect the views of non-religious people and not spread their words of wisdom so freely.
  • cooldad
    I may not have explained it very well, but you are wrong.

A theorem is a proven mathematical statement.

In the context of science, nicked from Wiki "Scientific theories are testable and make falsifiable predictions. They describe the causal elements responsible for a particular natural phenomenon, and are used to explain and predict aspects of the physical universe or specific areas of inquiry (e.g. electricity, chemistry, astronomy). Scientists use theories as a foundation to gain further scientific knowledge, as well as to accomplish goals such as inventing technology or curing disease. Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess (i.e., unsubstantiated and speculative)."

As far as evolution goes, there is plenty of testable and verifiable proof, and you can see it in action using animals with short life spans - fruit flies are commonly used.

Plenty of info out there but try http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evolution
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    For a theory you may have supporting evidence, but no absolute proof, which is why Evolution remains a theory. There is no absolute 100% proof.

You're making the same mistake the bible bashers make. The scientific use of the word 'theory' is very different from the casual, everyday use of the word 'theory'. Your definition, above, is the casual usage. The scientific usage, as in The Theory Of Evolution, deals in certainty.

And that's not even to mention that it's not actually called 'The Theory of Evolution' but 'On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life'.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Dancing_Bible_Bashing_Penguin_by_Fraxuur.jpg
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Where the fudge has this conversation gone?

The OP is clearly a delusional, dietarily challenged nut. No more needs to be said.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I accept I was wrong in parts, and that the theory of evolution is accepted as fact (although not by everyone). But it doesn't changed the fact that a theorem is proven beyond all doubt, whereas a theory is not. The article from which you [Angus Young] quote, even says that a theory can be adapted and modified as new results are available or disprove the original theory, and by that very definition alone cannot deal in certainty.

Like I stated previously though, I believe in evolution and I think the people that question it are basing their questioning in religion, which holds no ground. Religion should not be used to counter science. In the same way I believe religious people should not be allowed to shove their views down the throats of others, I believe science has no place telling the religious community is flat out wrong. Religion is just a faith, and its not the place of science to tell people they are wrong. Whether or not an individual believes the religious views of others to be accurate is another matter.

I also believe that who really cares, provided everyone gets on. Do good in the world, and be nice to people. Not because of heaven and hell, but simply because its a nice thing to do and being horrible to people achieves nothing other than constant anger and high blood pressure.
  • Angus Young
    The article from which you [Angus Young] quote, even says that a theory can be adapted and modified as new results are available or disprove the original theory, and by that very definition alone cannot deal in certainty.

I didn't quote, that was cooled, doesn't matter. That's the great thing about science - if better evidence emerges everything's up for grabs.
  • Cody
    Hi, I rode my bike today, woke up this morning with a flu though and catarrgh in my throat. Still managed to do 30 mins of riding in the park. Came home, had a shower, my diet was good today. lemon and water twice today, waffle and scrambled egg for breakfast, 1 piece of breast chicken at 3pm and a salmon fish at 7pm. Oh and some fruit in between, after cycling. Nice and light does it for me :)

The fossil of the snow leopard aged 4.8 million years is exactly the same with the snow leopards of our day.

Darwin said in his book which was the basis of his life long work, the origin of species that, "it was god, not chance, which created the universe." Charles Darwin was very religious in his younger days. He turned away from religion because as god says in his holy book, "those who are arrogant we harden their hearts and who is there that can guide them except me".

Scholars of religion also tell us that, man cannot create even a fly or give it life. This is more evidence that a supreme being exists.

Religion doesn't cause wars, it's people who don't believe in it and who believe the affairs of the state as their religion, they cause wars. David Cameron, Tony Blair and all the other murders who have killed thousands of innocents in Iraq and Afghanistan and in many other countries, these are the real killers. They are as Atheist as you can get. They don't believe in god, they call it what Richard Dawkins calls it, 'the god delusion'. These people god calls, 'compounded ignorance', where they think they actually know something but they don't.

The theory of evolution has collapsed in the first place, in the face of the question, “How did life begin?” Evolutionists, who tell pages of stories and create countless speculations about fossils and origins of species, cannot produce an imaginary scenarios to answer the question “How did life begin?” and fall into a deep silence: This is because it is not possible to explain how even a single protein molecule came into existence by itself through blind coincidences. There is no answer to explain how inanimate molecules came to life and turned into living organisms.

Evolution is not science, it is a pagan religion.

Science is the enemy of darwinism. Science is against atheism. Science has destroyed the foundation of the atheist philosophy. Science anhiliates and destroys Darwinism wherever it goes, wherever it becomes a current issue and wherever it shows itself. Therefore, SCIENCE IS ANTI-PAGAN. Science eradicated pagan thoughts, superstitious religions, and false ideologies. Therefore, science is one of the greatest pains for darwinists.

Lastly, the final revelation mentions the big bang and the formation of the universe. it was revealed to a prophet 1400 years ago who could not read or write. Yet, astonishingly well before telescopes were even invented and well before Hubble published his Law, Prophet Muhammad used to recite a verse of the Quran to his companions that ultimately stated that the universe is expanding.

“And the heaven We created with might, and indeed We are (its) expander.” (Quran 51:47)

I will reiterate yet again, I'm not trying to convert anyone, I'm merely expressing an opinion.

Thanks.
  • cooldad
    Cody wrote:
    Hi, I rode my bike today,

Well done.
    Cody wrote:
    Scholars of religion also tell us that, man cannot create even a fly or give it life. This is more evidence that a supreme being exists.

Well they would, wouldn't they? But it isn't, any more than proof that Spiderman exists.
    Cody wrote:
    These people god calls, 'compounded ignorance', where they think they actually know something but they don't.

He told you that himself, did he?
    Cody wrote:
    Evolutionists, who tell pages of stories and create countless speculations about fossils and origins of species, cannot produce an imaginary scenarios to answer the question “How did life begin?” and fall into a deep silence:

Not imaginary scenarios, no, but scientists can produce real scenarios.
    Cody wrote:
    This is because it is not possible to explain how even a single protein molecule came into existence by itself through blind coincidences. There is no answer to explain how inanimate molecules came to life and turned into living organisms.

Yes it is, and yes there is.
    Cody wrote:
    Evolution is not science, it is a pagan religion.

Oh really?
    Cody wrote:
    Science is the enemy of darwinism. Science is against atheism. Science has destroyed the foundation of the atheist philosophy. Science anhiliates and destroys Darwinism wherever it goes, wherever it becomes a current issue and wherever it shows itself. Therefore, SCIENCE IS ANTI-PAGAN. Science eradicated pagan thoughts, superstitious religions, and false ideologies. Therefore, science is one of the greatest pains for darwinists.

I think you are confusing evolution with atheism. One can understand evolution and be a theist. The two are not mutually incompatible.
    Atheism is simply the non belief in a god. It is not a belief system nor a philosophy.
    Cody wrote:
    Lastly, the final revelation mentions the big bang and the formation of the universe. it was revealed to a prophet 1400 years ago who could not read or write. Yet, astonishingly...

Astonishing that you know what he couldn't possibly tell you.
    Cody wrote:
    “And the heaven We created with might, and indeed We are (its) expander.” (Quran 51:47)

Meaningless without context. هل يمكن تكرار ذلك في العربية

You should really try reading this stuff for yourself.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    Everyone to their own beliefs. I'm an athiest but happy for others to believe what they want.
    It's arguments about beliefs that start wars, not the beliefs alone.
    I will stick to Thou shalt not be a dick, which includes not ridiculing others beliefs.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Fail.
  • Angus Young
    Cody wrote:

Just when I thought it couldn't get any more bizarre.
  • cooldad
    Science obviously hasn't eradicated all superstitious nonsense.

Unfortunately.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    Science very definitely is on the side of Darwinism and astro physics is completely based on the big bang theory although what caused the big bang is a mystery, maybe that's where a higher being comes in, or maybe not. Who knows.
  • cooldad
    Everyone knows that the higher being is the Flying Spaghetti Monster who dispenses love and sauce from his noodly appendages.

Ramen.

220px-FSM_Logo.svg.png
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cody
    Right people, I'd just like to say to those who have felt offended by my words that I mean no offence to anyone who is atheist or is a non believer. Not every cycle enthusiast I come across is an atheist. A while back I met some rreally interesting people I.e cyclist who had his life turned around after finding God. I just felt it a little necessary to share some of my experience and some of you don't want to hear it as it pains you does the truth, but, praise good I feel so much better being a believer as opposed to an atheist. I came out of that shell years ago. I believe God is the light and is the way to success in life. The key to God is belief in the unseen, not spaghetti monsters but things like what God has created which we can only see in the next life like angels and spirits etc. My religion teaches that as a believer in the oneness of the divine, I must be nice to those who are not so nice, kind to those who are cruel, forgive those who are evil and so on.I'm just saying I've bettered myself as a young lad through faith. And I will pray for those who have no religion to be guided by the most merciful. I made it, so can you. And anyone else who hated being an atheist and believing in nothing which totals pain and misery for some.

And the servants of the most merciful are those who walk upon the earth easily, and when the ignorant address them (harshly) they say (words of) peace. [Qur'an 25:63]

Good night, got busy day tomorrow. Need to help my dad with his new investment property, need to get it ready to sell on. Back to bike talk tomorrow folks :)
  • cooldad
    Whatever makes your bum hum (Pastifarian Cookbook 63:25)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
This discussion has been closed.