The Irony Thread

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    You note, I said long term. I am not writing off the deaths of however many lives this virus claims, but the efforts to contain will have a human cost.
  • ballysmate
    When this is over and the economy is shrunken be however much and the tax take is a fraction of today's, how many hospitals will need to close, how many people will be rendered homeless?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,790
    When the infection rates get as high as they will the same impact will happen anyway only with more dead bodies.
  • ballysmate
    Am not dismissing the number of dead bodies but pointing out there is a quid pro quo. In years to come, people will die because of some measures taken now.

Further afield, The Canaries eg have a population of over 2 million. They have no industry, no farming, only tourism. They are in lock down. When this is finished, their economy will be gone. Businesses closed, airlines bust. They will be fcuked.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

When this is over and the economy is shrunken be however much and the tax take is a fraction of today's, how many hospitals will need to close, how many people will be rendered homeless?

Most people do not see reduced tax take as a problem as we can borrow more money.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,641

In Spain during ‘lockdown’ cannot go out for a bike ride but can go to tobacconist to buy fags.

I'm in a choir and when we took the decision to keep rehearsing while waiting for government advice to the contrary one woman said she wasn't going to come as she has underlying respiratory issues. Fair enough but she has a cigarette before rehearsal, when we have a break half way through and another as soon as we finish.
  • ballysmate

Most people do not see reduced tax take as a problem as we can borrow more money.
    Not me.
  • rick_chasey

Depends on scale of course.

We’re looking at Lehman-esq disaster.

Gonna be some big bailouts soon or *a lot* of jobless.
  • rick_chasey
    France has put €300bn (!!) up in fiscal support.

• Further afield, The Canaries eg have a population of over 2 million. They have no industry, no farming, only tourism. They are in lock down. When this is finished, their economy will be gone. Businesses closed, airlines bust. They will be fcuked.

100% this. Absolutely gutted for them and the people I know out there :cry:
  • surrey_commuter

Why not switch spending priorities rather than just happily borrowing the whole lot.
  • rick_chasey

Why not switch spending priorities rather than just happily borrowing the whole lot.
    I think we're at a point where the cost is going to be fractions of total GDP, not fractions of a percent.

(not my line)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,840

I think we're at a point where the cost is going to be fractions of total GDP, not fractions of a percent.

(not my line)
    15% of GDP IIRC from Newscast podcast.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

(not my line)
    So that smashes us through the 100% debt ratio, and that is before allowing for the economy shrinking.

I get that you and they don’t care about debt but to me it is crazy to not revisit the budget and reallocate much of the fiscal expansion into these Coronavirus plans.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,294

pblakeney said:

(not my line)
    So that smashes us through the 100% debt ratio, and that is before allowing for the economy shrinking.

I get that you and they don’t care about debt but to me it is crazy to not revisit the budget and reallocate much of the fiscal expansion into these Coronavirus plans.
    I agree, but probably need both. Is HS2 anyone's priority any more?
  • pblakeney
    edited March 2020
    How else are the Londoners going to escape the zombies? 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

How else are the Londoners going to escape the zombies? 😉

For the first time the yokels will be justified in waving their pitchforks at us. I have tried to avoid the countryside since watching a documentary presented by Edward Woodward, The Wicker Man.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,681

pblakeney said:

(not my line)

Have you deducted the BoE's holdings in your calculation?

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

pblakeney said:

(not my line)

Well arguably not, however it would directly pay the wages of a job sector who dont fit in the wfh category, whether construction is remotely feasible under lockdown is another matter, but I've long believed the value of such projects is purely to generate those jobs,keep those people employed and spending money which helps boost the economy overall. If you stop HS2 what do those workers do ?

The hospitality business is already saying the government need to pick up at least 75% of their wages as they wont survive otherwise, construction firms are probably equally exposed if they cant build things in the meantime
  • surrey_commuter
    awavey said:

pblakeney said:

(not my line)

Well arguably not, however it would directly pay the wages of a job sector who dont fit in the wfh category, whether construction is remotely feasible under lockdown is another matter, but I've long believed the value of such projects is purely to generate those jobs,keep those people employed and spending money which helps boost the economy overall. If you stop HS2 what do those workers do ?

The hospitality business is already saying the government need to pick up at least 75% of their wages as they wont survive otherwise, construction firms are probably equally exposed if they cant build things in the meantime
    Why not pay the same people to not build a railway and save on the cost of land and materials?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,412
    Of all the things; bog roll, bread, frozen stuff etc, I hope I can get a pitch fork.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    People who usually complain about unemployed benefits cheats sitting at home 'having it easy' watching daytime TV complaining when they find themselves temporarily 'having it easy', sitting at home watching daytime TV
  • pblakeney

We only have to go back to the 2011 London riots as an example. Then we had how society behaved during the petrol strikes and nearly every year when the UK gets hit with snow. Basically people are selfish and will quickly revert to what is in their best interest.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    It's ironic that we have people both hoarding so that they can socially isolate whilst refusing to socially isolate.
    Now, obviously these could be two distinct groups of people.

I'll bet you they're not though.
  • surrey_commuter
    Anecdotally I would say they are different groups. My parents (in their 80s) only cut their social life last week and are now wondering what to do until their first online shop arrives on 11th April. Now they have been told to self-isolate by the Govt they will do so religiously.
  • pblakeney
    edited March 2020

Now they have been told to self-isolate by the Govt they will do so religiously.

Thought churches were shut too. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Following the Brexit vote it was sickening to see and hear people wishing death on the older generations who were seen to be to blame for the Leave vote. Roll on a few short months and all these @rseholes are suddenly rowing back now they think their parents and grandparents might die from Covid19.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,656
    shortfall said:

Following the Brexit vote it was sickening to see and hear people wishing death on the older generations who were seen to be to blame for the Leave vote. Roll on a few short months and all these @rseholes are suddenly rowing back now they think their parents and grandparents might die from Covid19.

Well said SF.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    shortfall said:

Did that happen on here?
    There was a comment about wishing somebody dead in relation to Brexit but it didn’t fit the above.
    Unless they’re the same people, it’s a bit irrelevant really. Just confirms some people are pretty nasty.
  • Pross
    morstar said:

shortfall said:

Did that happen on here?
    There was a comment about wishing somebody dead in relation to Brexit but it didn’t fit the above.
    Unless they’re the same people, it’s a bit irrelevant really. Just confirms some people are pretty nasty.
    Didn't happen on here that I can recall. Hyperbole I think but happy to apologise if proven wrong.