Prototype enduro bike's galore!

1234568»

Comments

• Long top tubes on all sizes but a steeper head angle compared to others in its class. Down tube to bottom bracket junction looks a bit strange too.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    New Identiti enduro frame. Don't think it will have this build but I'm sure it will be good value
    https://m.facebook.com/chrissmithmtb/po ... _b_1&mdf=1
  • rockmonkeysc
    New Commencal Hip Hop. Looks like an interesting bike but what a crap name.
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/commencal-me ... -2014.html

First new 26" only bike I have seen in a while, could it be the next wheel size fashion?
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767

First new 26" only bike I have seen in a while, could it be the next wheel size fashion?
    That's actually a 2014 model, and the hip hop has been discontinued for 2015.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868

We need more bikes like this. Forget your #enduro bikes all you need in the UK is a fun, solid 120-130mm travel bike with a burly-ish fork, proper tyres, wide bars, short stem and a dropper post. A reasonably lightweight frame, low, long, slack-ish geometry and you have a bloody awesome bike that will take 95% of stuff in it's stride. Sadly I can count the grand sum of 2 or 3 bikes that manage to do this at a reasonable price before you end up in carbon super bike land (not that I mind that of course!).
  • rockmonkeysc
    They just don't sell though. For some reason everyone seems to think they need 160mm enduro bikes just for red or black stuff at trail centres.
  • lawman
    They just don't sell though. For some reason everyone seems to think they need 160mm enduro bikes just for red or black stuff at trail centres.

It's all about marketing though, that's why enduro bikes sell so well. If the manufacturers suddenly poured their marketing clout into shorter travel bikes, much like they did with 29ers, they'd sell much better. Tbh I think the current situation with such bikes is a difficult one, on one hand I think shorter travel bikes are better to ride and have something of a cult following, but the flipside is as you say there are very few good, decently priced ones about.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The other problem is that bigger bikes are more flattering to less talanted riders because they let you get away with more mistakes while a shorter travel bike is more rewarding when you get it right.
  • lawman
    There is that as well, but I just see it as killing the trail and making it a little to easy. I rode a Yeti SB95 a few years back and while I've no doubt it's one of the fastest bikes I've ever ridden, the way it ploughed through everything and made rock-gardens disappear underneath you just wasn't fun and it's the same story with other 6" or more bikes I've ridden. I wouldn't say I'm particularly talented, I can't jump for sh!t for example, but I just love how involving these kinda short travel bikes can be. Wish we had more bikes like the Mega TR, Transition bandit and scout or cheaper versions of the Yeti SB5.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    but I just love how involving these kinda short travel bikes can be

You'd love my Zaskar then ;-)
  • lawman
    supersonic wrote:
    but I just love how involving these kinda short travel bikes can be

You'd love my Zaskar then ;-)

There comes a point where "involving" becomes down right sketchy though :wink:

A short travel bike with the angles of a bigger bike as I've found and bikes like the Mega TR demonstrate is you can have that safe and secure feeling but still have a lively and playful bike. It's all personal as always but I can't see and have yet to try a bike that makes me think it could more fun than a short travel bike with great geometry.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Big bikes can be fun as well but on the right trail. My DH bike always give me a big grin but it needs to be on real nasty track to get the best out of it and I have to be pushing my abilities.
    I have seen people at Bike Park Wales riding downhill bikes on the blue and red trails, a DH bike just flattens trails like that to a point where it just becomes boring and hard work. Even on the black trails a DH bike only feels good on the big moto size tables and big road gaps.
    The Mega TR is a great ride but not particularly well built, it would be great if someone like Transition made it.
  • lawman wrote:
    There is that as well, but I just see it as killing the trail and making it a little to easy. I rode a Yeti SB95 a few years back and while I've no doubt it's one of the fastest bikes I've ever ridden, the way it ploughed through everything and made rock-gardens disappear underneath you just wasn't fun and it's the same story with other 6" or more bikes I've ridden.

Says he on a Ibis HD140 :lol: A SB95 is a short travel bike, its only got 5" travel.
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:
    There is that as well, but I just see it as killing the trail and making it a little to easy. I rode a Yeti SB95 a few years back and while I've no doubt it's one of the fastest bikes I've ever ridden, the way it ploughed through everything and made rock-gardens disappear underneath you just wasn't fun and it's the same story with other 6" or more bikes I've ridden.

Says he on a Ibis HD140 :lol: A SB95 is a short travel bike, its only got 5" travel.

But as we both know Rick the Hd140 is actually the HD130-and abit ;) it's certainly no plough bike! with the SB95 I think it was a combo of the 29" wheels and the 125mm travel, and the fact the switch system is so damn plush. There are shorter travel but still tough 29ers appearing, like the Banshee Phantom, Kona Process 111 and the Transition smuggler, all with around 110mm travel so a little down on the SB95 on paper.
  • lawman wrote:
    lawman wrote:

But as we both know Rick the Hd140 is actually the HD130-and abit ;) it's certainly no plough bike! with the SB95 I think it was a combo of the 29" wheels and the 125mm travel, and the fact the switch system is so damn plush. There are shorter travel but still tough 29ers appearing, like the Banshee Phantom, Kona Process 111 and the Transition smuggler, all with around 110mm travel so a little down on the SB95 on paper.

For that reason I would never own another Ibis :D
  • lawman wrote:
    We need more bikes like this. Forget your #enduro bikes all you need in the UK is a fun, solid 120-130mm travel bike with a burly-ish fork, proper tyres, wide bars, short stem and a dropper post. A reasonably lightweight frame, low, long, slack-ish geometry and you have a bloody awesome bike that will take 95% of stuff in it's stride. Sadly I can count the grand sum of 2 or 3 bikes that manage to do this at a reasonable price before you end up in carbon super bike land (not that I mind that of course!).

Couldn't agree more! When demoing for my new bike the longer travel bikes just weren't as much fun.
  • rockmonkeysc
    http://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-review ... eview.html

Another big bike but with 26" wheels. Looks like it would be brilliant in the Alps or Whistler, not so good here in Somerset.

process_167.jpg
  • lawman
    An excellent review of the new Transition Scout over on Pinkbike:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/transition ... -2014.html

I eagerly await a carbon version! :lol: