Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited December 2014 in MTB general
Jared Graves Prototype SB66 replacement:
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/jared-grav ... -2014.html

Comments

• milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    What with my SB66 being a bit maintenance-needy at the moment I'm looking at this with great interest.

The new Switch thing looks kinda ugly to me and like a reliability nightmare. But reading their Q&A on Pinkbike they're saying it's actually been through over two years of hard testing without getting a good clean or service and still rocking on nicely, they really do talk a good talk about it. So I find myself rather tempted. I really like the long top tube low height thing that they do, it suits me just right.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Finally forced Graves off 26" too. We're all doomed I tells ye!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    milko9000 wrote:
    What with my SB66 being a bit maintenance-needy at the moment I'm looking at this with great interest.

The new Switch thing looks kinda ugly to me and like a reliability nightmare. But reading their Q&A on Pinkbike they're saying it's actually been through over two years of hard testing without getting a good clean or service and still rocking on nicely, they really do talk a good talk about it. So I find myself rather tempted. I really like the long top tube low height thing that they do, it suits me just right.

It looks complicated but it's actually pretty simple, with few moving parts, I can't see it being any harder to maintain than any other VPP or DW-link bike, pump some grease in every once in a while and it should be fine. It also comes with a decent warranty, I think the frame is 5 years and either 2 or 5 years on the switch infinity, I've read a few conflicting reports on it's precise length. I'd love to have a go on both this new proto and the SB5c, I've ridden all the current SB bikes, the 66, 75 and 95 and they've all be really, really good. They climb really well and just suck up the hits so well, the 95 just flattened everything in it's path. I hucked into a rock garden at a fair clip and it felt like hopping off a kerb. Geometry on the SB5c looks great, so if it lasts better than the old Switch design and performs as well Yeti could be on to a winner for sure.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If they have managed to make a 650b ride like the SB66 it could be great. I rode a friends SB66 and then his SB75, I thought the 66 was brilliant but the 75 didn't impress me. He wasn't impressed by the 75 either and sold it after a short time to get another SB66. I have read a few less complimentary reviews about the SB75 as well.
  • lawman
    If they have managed to make a 650b ride like the SB66 it could be great. I rode a friends SB66 and then his SB75, I thought the 66 was brilliant but the 75 didn't impress me. He wasn't impressed by the 75 either and sold it after a short time to get another SB66. I have read a few less complimentary reviews about the SB75 as well.

I rode the alloy SB66 and despite it's perceived heft it rode far, far lighter than the numbers and travel suggested, geometry was bang on and the switch system seemed to work very well; plush but had that firmness under power and it just went like a rocket. If I got that impression from the "boggo" alloy version what the carbon version must have felt like I've no idea, presumably bloody marvelous!!

I think Bike Mag summed it up perfectly in their review of the SB75 for the bible of bike tests, its not a bad bike, certainly a lot better than many others I've ridden, but when the SB66 was actually lighter, climbed just as well yet had an extra 25mm of travel and had better geometry, you'd be have to be pretty convinced in the whole 650b thing to get one. I've ridden a fair few recent Yeti's, ASR, ASR5, all the SB bikes and they've all been damn nice to ride so if the SB5c is as good as they claim then I'd like to have a blast on one!
  • rockmonkeysc
    As much as I would like a SB66 or whatever replaces it in the future I'm just not convinced it would be worth the extra cost over some of the very good but much cheaper alternatives.
    At the moment I think my money would go on a Kona Process 156 if I was buying a big enduro bike.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • milko9000
    If you can find one in stock of course - that link has a single frame in Medium only for example. But yeah, end-of-line bargains mean a nice bike for someone.

Had a blast on my SB-66a in BikePark Wales at the weekend, it really did the job perfectly for me. I keep being semi-tempted to find a carbon frame and swap it all over. I see the SB5C and "SB6C prototype" just did a one-two in the Enduro World Series over the weekend which is quite a convincing result! The thing is, come time to buy one I'd be looking at that, things like the Kona, and then the price of say a YT Capra. I know what I'll probably want, but the reality of what I can justifiably afford might be different.
  • lawman
    Bike like the Capra and Strive CF make it hard for most to justify the extra of something like a Yeti, Pivot, Santa Cruz etc but I think that people in the market for something like a SB5c aren't going to be too concerned by that if that's what they want they'll pay for it. The Process is decent value but with (currently) an alloy only option it's kinda like comparing apples with pears. I also hear it's a bit of tank in 153 form at least, even the 134 isn't particularly light. At the end of the day though as much as people moan about the industries obsession with the 'E' word there's no doubt that it's made a big impact on bike design and there are more great bikes around for every taste and budget.

I think the result this weekend is great Yeti, it shows how the two new SB bikes are super versatile and that shorter travel bikes are more capable than you think in the right hands. Tbh in the UK I think something like the SB5c is all the bike most of us would ever need without straying into repeated DH use.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I think Kona could release a carbon process soon. They have got a carbon operator now so it would make sense for them to have a carbon #nduro bike soon.
  • lawman
    I think Kona could release a carbon process soon. They have got a carbon operator now so it would make sense for them to have a carbon #nduro bike soon.

s780_DT_EWSCO_Friday_9.jpg?1406369602

Given how polished that looks, my guess is we'll see one damn soon! Should see a carbon 143 and 111 too I would guess. Maybe we should just name this the prototype thread?! :lol:
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    If we're talking about protos I'll throw this in
    s1600_EWSCOp1010304.jpg?1406268419
    s1600_EWSCOp1010301.jpg?1406268385
    Interesting move from Transition to move away from the classic Covert design
  • Dick Scruttock
    Thread title changed!

The Transition looks nice.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Trek Slash Carbon anyone?...

full_Screen_Shot_2014_07_21_at_2.48.27_PM_478748.jpg?1405982786

...and while you're looking at that I'll squeeze in the Spesh Demo into the Enduro bike thread :wink:

p5pb11234174.jpg
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    I think I prefer the old Demo's asthetics but I just don't like FSR downhill bikes.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I heard there might be a carbon Mega for 2015, but it was just some random comment on Pinkbike so how true it is I don't know.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • milko9000
    Was just reading the article on the front page about Graves' SB6C prototype. So there he is, more or less exactly my build, going on about how the geo of the new bike in Medium is tailored exactly to him. It's like they want me to buy the thing. I'm easily able to convince myself that some shit-hot racer's idea of ideal geometry is the same as my mincing around Surrey Hills with occasional jaunts to bike parks and the alps ideal.

That seat tube on the new Specialized DH bike is weird. I can see the practical benefit but it looks so odd when you see it from other angles.
  • lawman
    Also read that the article on the front page, can see why they did what they did, GT did the same with Dan Atherton with the Sanction pretty much. I prefer the look of the SB6c over the SB5c slightly, not overly keen on the seat tube strut but not a deal breaker by any means, need to try both out for sure!

The new Ibis prototype looks interesting as well

p5pb11169398.jpg

Only thing I will say is that fully side on it looks positively gopping. They've dropped the down tube by the bb to make space for a bottle cage apparently and it looks ruddy awful, looks like it's expecting mini Ibis's to pop out at any minute or it's eaten all the pies. I mean who the feck rides a bike with a water bottle these days, especially peeps who ride "enduro". Maybe it's a yank thing but I though they all wore fanny packs anyway... Either way it's not as pretty the old Mojo.

Transition looks nice, as does the new Giant Reign.

s780_Reign_27_5_1.jpg?1397774378
  • ej2320
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I heard there might be a carbon Mega for 2015, but it was just some random comment on Pinkbike so how true it is I don't know.

:shock:
    That could be one hell of a bike
  • ej2320
    Ignoring the whole 650b BS, the bike companies do seem to being making bikes people want
    Long TT and wheelbase, shorter chainstay, good suspension platform.. Will be interesting to see at the 2015 bikes
  • kester
    kester Posts: 79
    prototype 2015 vitus sommet

Sommet-Driveside_1-Custom.jpg

(photo ruined though by what looks like a fella having a s**t in the background!)
  • Qui3tman
    Qui3tman Posts: 94
    That Reign looks... pregnant?
  • rockmonkeysc
    lawman wrote:

s780_Reign_27_5_1.jpg?1397774378

That looks like a standard size steerer. Hopefully Giant have finally dropped the stupid Overdrive 2 steerer. If they sell it with a decent build as well it could be my next bike.
    I really wanted the 2014 Trance until I realised it had an aweful fork on all versions and a non standard steerer amd headset.
  • lawman
    Qui3tman wrote:

Very similar to the new Ibis, but for some reason it looks far worse on the Ibis than the Giant imo. I also think bottle cages on bikes like this are pretty pointless, but I presume there must be some people who want one or they wouldn't be doing it!
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Seat post strut on sb5c looks awful, smooth curvy brace on sb6c looks much better
  • ej2320
    kester wrote:
    prototype 2015 vitus sommet

Sommet-Driveside_1-Custom.jpg

(photo ruined though by what looks like a fella having a s**t in the background!)

Saw that a while back, looks awesome
    I also believe they've developed a DH bike which is a bold move considering CRC have only owned them 5 years or so and they're never made one before
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    lawman wrote:
    Qui3tman wrote:

Very similar to the new Ibis, but for some reason it looks far worse on the Ibis than the Giant imo. I also think bottle cages on bikes like this are pretty pointless, but I presume there must be some people who want one or they wouldn't be doing it!

I wouldn't consider a bike without a cage, and by that, I mean a proper one, i.e. In the front triangle, not underneath the down tube, in dog sh*t target zone.

I, like a lot of other people dislike the feeling of being throttled by a wriggly, sweaty midget, so avoid wearing a pack as much as possible. I can carry the tools I need elsewhere.

Riding with just a bottle is much nicer :)
  • Dick Scruttock
    Not a Enduro but the new V10 27.5
    http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en/us/news/698
  • rockmonkeysc
    I was really disappointed by the V10 I had a demo ride on. Kind of like my Mondeo, very good, couldn't fault it in any way but just didn't put a grin on my mug or make me think it was brilliant.
    I saw a prototype on my local trails recently but it was a Charge XC hardtail and looked rather uninteresting.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not a new bike but it is #Nduro
    Nukeproof uppy downy post.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 3078113326