Prototype enduro bike's galore!

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Not a new bike but it is #Nduro
    Nukeproof uppy downy post.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 3078113326

Saw that in the latest MBR, looks decent enough and yet more nukeproof logos for people to slap on their Mega's!!! :lol::wink:

A carbon Mega TR would sell by the bucket load I reckon!
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    lawman wrote:
    Not a new bike but it is #Nduro
    Nukeproof uppy downy post.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 3078113326

Saw that in the latest MBR, looks decent enough and yet more nukeproof logos for people to slap on their Mega's!!! :lol::wink:

A carbon Mega TR would sell by the bucket load I reckon!

Especially if they kept the trademark Nukeproof reasonable pricing
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Carbon frame, better quality fasteners and better bearing sealing would be nice for the Mega TR.
    Bring back the Scalp with CCDB shock as a 26" DH option alongside the 27.5" Pulse.
  • lawman
    They need to get rid of the gash decals too. I remember reading an article in WMB iirc about the developement of the TR and one of the proto's had some awesome multi coloured decals on a raw frame and it looked sweet. The production versions are a bit gaudy for my taste but there's no doubt they ride really well, had a quick razz on a few of my mate's TR's and while heftier than I usually prefer the geometry and suspension feel pretty damn good and they are great value for money
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    lawman wrote:
    Qui3tman wrote:
    That Reign looks... pregnant?

Very similar to the new Ibis, but for some reason it looks far worse on the Ibis than the Giant imo. I also think bottle cages on bikes like this are pretty pointless, but I presume there must be some people who want one or they wouldn't be doing it!

I seem to think in those "EWS bike round up photo" things they do on PB and Dirt that loads of enduro pros ride with bottles (Justin Leov springs to mind as I saw a pic of his bike earlier today). Maybe they are designing bikes for people winning races not just for the general public - we should be happy about that as it might suggest the bikes aren't just marketing tools!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    They are designing bikes so people can look like pro racers while they plod around their local singletrack.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    They are designing bikes so people can look like pro racers while they plod around their local singletrack.

Haha, with matching lid, jersey and pads!

This is why I am SO glad you can remove the decals from the 2012 model! I hate the factory look and NP are one of the worst for it! :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • paul.skibum
    I personally like my dakine pack - feels like a bit of back padding should I ever need such a thing plus I carry more than a tube, an O2 canister and a smile. My Bronson is listed as having 2 bottle cage mounts but I havent found the second yet....or used the first.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    I personally like my dakine pack - feels like a bit of back padding should I ever need such a thing plus I carry more than a tube, an O2 canister and a smile. My Bronson is listed as having 2 bottle cage mounts but I havent found the second yet....or used the first.

Medium Bronsons only have one set of mounts :D
  • lawman
    Hob Nob wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    Qui3tman wrote:
    That Reign looks... pregnant?

Very similar to the new Ibis, but for some reason it looks far worse on the Ibis than the Giant imo. I also think bottle cages on bikes like this are pretty pointless, but I presume there must be some people who want one or they wouldn't be doing it!

I wouldn't consider a bike without a cage, and by that, I mean a proper one, i.e. In the front triangle, not underneath the down tube, in dog sh*t target zone.

I, like a lot of other people dislike the feeling of being throttled by a wriggly, sweaty midget, so avoid wearing a pack as much as possible. I can carry the tools I need elsewhere.

Riding with just a bottle is much nicer :)

I just like being able to carry everything in a pack, takes weight off the bike and as I've found out in the past offer a fair amount of back protection in a crash. I've worn a pack while riding for years and it kind of feels wrong to ride without one
  • Did I read that commencal are still going to offer a 26" wheel version of the Meta?

Are most of these 650b now or still a mix? I'm kinda imagining that most will end up 650b.
  • ej2320
    Did I read that commencal are still going to offer a 26" wheel version of the Meta?

Are most of these 650b now or still a mix? I'm kinda imagining that most will end up 650b.

seem to be mostly 650b
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/commencals ... range.html

First bikes to jump on the fact Specialized's FSR patent has expired

p4pb11245011.jpg
    0029191_specialized_stumpjumper_fsr_comp_evo_29er_2014_mountain_bike.jpeg
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    ej2320 wrote:
    Did I read that commencal are still going to offer a 26" wheel version of the Meta?

seem to be mostly 650b

p4pb11245011.jpg
    Except they're not FSR, they're still single pivot...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ej2320
    ilovedirt wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

seem to be mostly 650b

p4pb11245011.jpg
    Except they're not FSR, they're still single pivot...

My mistake, didn't notice the single pivot
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Don't get me wrong though, they look very nice!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Isn't that a pivot on the base of the seatstay?
  • paul.skibum
    Cqc wrote:

But the FSR requires the pivot to be on the chainstay not the seat stay - seatstay = faux bar linkage driven single pivot as I understand it. Changes the wheel path and creates the virtual pivot.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I seem to think in those "EWS bike round up photo" things they do on PB and Dirt that loads of enduro pros ride with bottles (Justin Leov springs to mind as I saw a pic of his bike earlier today). Maybe they are designing bikes for people winning races not just for the general public - we should be happy about that as it might suggest the bikes aren't just marketing tools!

ha! Marketing tools is exactly what they are..."those Enduro race bikes I see on Dirt have bottles...I must have a bottle too!"

The Votec has cage mounts, haven't used them yet though
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • paul.skibum

ha! Marketing tools is exactly what they are..."those Enduro race bikes I see on Dirt have bottles...I must have a bottle too!"

The Votec has cage mounts, haven't used them yet though

I have a bottle cage mounted on my two wheeled golf trolley back in the UK. I have lost the bottle out of it on a few occasions around various golf courses which leads me to think that theres bog all chance of keeping a bottle in there on a trail bike. I assume these EWS types are using some sort of blackbox bottles that stay put better.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Cqc wrote:

But the FSR requires the pivot to be on the chainstay not the seat stay - seatstay = faux bar linkage driven single pivot as I understand it. Changes the wheel path and creates the virtual pivot.

I believe the FSR pivot is in front of the axle, on the chain stay.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I know, but if it has a pivot on the base of the seat stay it's not single pivot either
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's a single pivot if the main pivot and axle are both on the chain stay so that the axle is a fixed distance from the main pivot.
    With FSR there is a pivot between the main pivot and the axle meaning that the distance between axle and pivot is not constant and the axle path is not a true arc around the main pivot.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Not a prototype, but the new reign looks pretty good.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-giant-reign-and-glory-275-2014.html

Also, no Overdrive 2!!!
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's about time they dropped OD2. Who the hell wants a 65 degree head angle on an AM bike though? That's the same as last years Glory.
    I'm not convinced by 650b downhill bikes, I know a few riders who have had them and gone back to 26". A lot of the pro's seem to suggest in interviews that they have gone to 650b because thats the way things are going, not because its better. A lot of them even broke out the 26" bikes for Fort William this year.
  • lawman
    It's about time they dropped OD2. Who the hell wants a 65 degree head angle on an AM bike though? That's the same as last years Glory.
    I'm not convinced by 650b downhill bikes, I know a few riders who have had them and gone back to 26". A lot of the pro's seem to suggest in interviews that they have gone to 650b because thats the way things are going, not because its better. A lot of them even broke out the 26" bikes for Fort William this year.

Pretty much every new "enduro" bike has gone slacker than usual, 65/66 seems pretty standard these days and on the bigger 160mm+ bikes it's what people want too. I'm kind of seein a bit of trend in that bikes head angles are going in two degree or so increments I.e DH bikes nowadays are around 63 degrees, enduro bikes at 65, trail bikes at 67 etc. obviously some variation but that seems a decent baseline. I run my Ibis at 66.5 and if it had more travel I'd probably like to go a touch slacker. At the end of the day the Reign is a race bike, like the new nomad so something that climbs acceptably but can rail the descents is what people are asking for. Think of freeride bikes in a way of 10 years ago but much, much lighter and more versatile. Many rounds of the EWS are described as essentially DH trails on pedal-able bikes so this slack and long geometry is gonna suit that pretty well and the light weight of many of the bikes makes easy work of the climbs.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I'm not convinced it's a good thing that trail and all mountain bikes have gone so slack.
  • The Canyon is something around 64deg and I ride it everywhere... Slack is fast.

I actually find slacker bikes easier to ride on, full stop. Wheels don't get caught up on climbs, in the same way they don't get caught up on descents. Yes the angles make climbing a bit harder, but out of the saddle it makes little difference IMO.
  • lawman
    I'm not convinced it's a good thing that trail and all mountain bikes have gone so slack.

As always it's a preference thing, but I've gone slacker and slacker with bike geometry over the past few years and everytime I have it's been an improvement in high speed stability with little bad effect elsewhere. I'm still cleaning all the techy climbs with just a slight body position adjustment and the only time the Ibis is a bit of a handful is in really tight corners but that could be down to the longer stem than I'd prefer to run. I'm very much with Chris Porter of Mojo in thinking that the only way to find the limit of bike design is smash right through what you think is the limit and go from there. I'm really excited to see where trail/enduro/am/whatever bikes go in the next few years, trail bikes today are just as capable as DH rigs from 5-10 years ago so I dread to think what kind of trail bikes we'll be riding in the next few years!!
  • lawman wrote:
    I dread to think what kind of trail bikes we'll be riding in the next few years!!

Something like Chris Porter is riding at Mojo maybe!
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:
    I dread to think what kind of trail bikes we'll be riding in the next few years!!

Something like Chris Porter is riding at Mojo maybe!

Those custom Nicolai's are loooooooooong! I saw Chris at BPW a few months back and had a quick chat about the bikes, they're insane! Perhaps some will be as radical as that in future but without trying it I'd say it perhaps a smidge too far!