TDF Stage 10-Mulhouse-La Planche des Belles Filles *spoiler*

Comments

• deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    ^^He wasn't descending like a loon. He was descending easy enough that he was able to reach into his back pocket to take a bar. He then hit a pothole and at which point there is nothing you can do. A knock to the front end while one handed while descending is an almost certain crash. The only thing he could do differently was keep two hands on the bars.
    Another missed point that I don't understand.
    The ASO/TDF go to great trouble before the race starts and with months to go they make their recommendations they require about furniture and road surfaces.
    Then with a month or so to go they go over the parcours again to check it all again with the road books they hand to everyone concerned.
    Where did this "Pot Hole" suddenly appear from, ??
    Was it due to the Rain. ??
    Was there a "Pot Hole" in the road. ??

It is sad but Contador and Froome are History so tomorrow we continue with the 2014 Tour De France.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2014
    Will you all stop.

He crashed, he's out. And that's that. No-one's analysed an unseen crash this much since Princess Diana. Maybe he was taken out by a white Fiat Uno.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I blame Prince Philip.

*Sorry*
    Correlation is not causation.
  • I blame Prince Philip.

*Sorry*

Nice one!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Not even on football forums do I see so much over-analysing..
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    deejay wrote:
    ^^He wasn't descending like a loon. He was descending easy enough that he was able to reach into his back pocket to take a bar. He then hit a pothole and at which point there is nothing you can do. A knock to the front end while one handed while descending is an almost certain crash. The only thing he could do differently was keep two hands on the bars.
    The ASO/TDF go to great trouble before the race starts and with months to go they make their recommendations they require about furniture and road surfaces.
    Then with a month or so to go they go over the parcours again to check it all again with the road books they hand to everyone concerned.

It is sad but Contador and Froome are History so tomorrow we continue with the 2014 Tour De France.

Doesn't take much to take a bike down at that sort of speed - didn't Voigt once crash out on the white centre line? Even a small depression could have consequences.

On the other hand, it seems fairly clear that Contador stuffed up, through carrying excess speed, not noticing something on the road, or both. It seems ludicrous to try and absolve him of blame for the accident - who else was steering the bike if not Contador? There's an argument that at least Froome was caught by somebody else for his first crash and everything stemmed from that... Bike riders - unless they've been on the special sauce - are only human. Deal with it.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    RichN95 wrote:
    Will you all stop.

He crashed, he's out. And that's that. No-one's analysed an unseen crash this much since Princess Diana. Maybe he was taken out by a white Fiat Uno.

Reasons to be cheerful 238: The Daily Express doesn't really 'do' cycling coverage...
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    deejay wrote:

Doesn't take much to take a bike down at that sort of speed - didn't Voigt once crash out on the white centre line? Even a small depression could have consequences.

On the other hand, it seems fairly clear that Contador stuffed up, through carrying excess speed, not noticing something on the road, or both. It seems ludicrous to try and absolve him of blame for the accident - who else was steering the bike if not Contador? There's an argument that at least Froome was caught by somebody else for his first crash and everything stemmed from that... Bike riders - unless they've been on the special sauce - are only human. Deal with it.

Exactly, there's a bit of bumpy Tarmac near my house that looks smooth but is horrible, I can't even signal right to cross onto my drive as I've very nearly come off before I knew it was there.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    RichN95 wrote:
    Will you all stop.

Amen!

All this talk about potholes, AC's form, uphill, downhill -- who cares?

He crashed and he's gone. Happens in every bike race.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Not to take a smoke over Rich's oiled water, or anything, but I think it's quite possible that Contador misjudged how long he could hold peak form. All joking aside, with the new training regime on top of whatever ailed him in 2013, he might have overcooked it a bit at the Dauphiné.

Add in some canny Nibali sandbagging, perhaps through long experience of new training regimes, and even before Contador's crash, I think Nibali was cruising.

Grand tours are too tough these days. Froome has looked fragile all year. Nobody has survived winning the Tour in quite a while. Which is what I thought the falling-off point was (obviously not as it turned out): this generation of GT rider's are pushing too hard for whatever reason and falling off more.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    Macaloon wrote:
    Not to take a smoke over Rich's oiled water, or anything, but I think it's quite possible that Contador misjudged how long he could hold peak form. All joking aside, with the new training regime on top of whatever ailed him in 2013, he might have overcooked it a bit at the Dauphiné.

Add in some canny Nibali sandbagging, perhaps through long experience of new training regimes, and even before Contador's crash, I think Nibali was cruising.

Grand tours are too tough these days. Froome has looked fragile all year. Nobody has survived winning the Tour in quite a while. Which is what I thought the falling-off point was (obviously not as it turned out): this generation of GT rider's are pushing too hard for whatever reason and falling off more.

^ this
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Never mind GT riders - I have never seen so many crashes as I did in the one day races earlier this year. Left, right and centre.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Or they are not bouncing back from falls. Froome is so frail he looks like he would break like a twig. Contador looks tougher but if the crash was as described, I doubt anyone would have been able to continue. Maybe a sprinter ;)
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_n8puo66jAU1rcwawho4_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Get over it, he's out. Even AC has moved on by now.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    To ride all that way at that pace with a broken leg was pretty damn impressive. Gutted he's out :(
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Macaloon wrote:
    Not to take a smoke over Rich's oiled water, or anything, but I think it's quite possible that Contador misjudged how long he could hold peak form.

Yes. Paulo Slongo (Nibali's DS) quoted on the cycling podcast before all the mayhem saying that Nibali is riding into form and that he did not think that Froome and Contador could holdthe form that they had at the Dauphine.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Seems lots of riders have fallen. 50 have been patched up by the race doctor if you include those who have fallen more than once. One of the few caught by the cameras was Kittel who fell on a wet roundabout.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbdzOchSZM4&sns=em

A message from Alberto, any Spanish translators here?
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Nope, but the underlying sentiment (from a French website) is:

The medical examinations on Tuesday afternoon in Madrid gave a welcome diagnosis; Alberto Contador, victim of a tibial plateau fracture in his right leg, will not need to undergo an operation. "The good news is that there will be no surgery explained the Spanish clinic Cemtro. The bad news concerns the Vuelta. It will be complicated for me. I want to go there to win and if I only have two weeks of training in the legs, it will be hard to be in shape. I will do everything I can to be at the Vuelta. "
  • dsoutar
    Bertie's bike and shoe (from team head mechanic)

https://twitter.com/richardgorman/statu ... 28/photo/1
  • frenchfighter
    10444704_10204296677324221_9219666974365305494_n.jpg?oh=1cf3128c46f8164adbe4ad49b06f4941&oe=543CA20B&__gda__=1414369630_db24257a23625db8918198aaa8219ad3
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Why not get the info from someone who was there? Nicholas Roche has the info on his blog he writes for an Irish paper. He tells what he saw/did and a bit more.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-s ... 34913.html
    M.Rushton
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Strong sense of deja vu around here at the moment... but I guess it gets us closer to matching the Froome Crash/Cobbles spoiler thread post count...
  • frenchfighter
    dish_dash wrote:
    Strong sense of deja vu around here at the moment... but I guess it gets us closer to matching the Froome Crash/Cobbles spoiler thread post count...

I think that is the third time it has been posted since you did!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    Alberto Contador (Saxo Tinkoff) returned to Madrid on Tuesday to undergo additional tests. Doctors have found that the fracture operation was not necessary and he should just observe a rest period of at least two weeks.

Alberto Contador is expressed in a press release. "The doctor told me that surgery would increase the knee injury and the recovery time would be even longer The good news is that neither my nor my tendons ligaments are affected. fracture is the best possible place. I have to stay at home with my leg immobilized for at least two weeks. doctors have also told me it would be almost impossible for me to be ready for the Vuelta but we'll see how the fracture evolves. I will work hard in the coming weeks and I'll see how far I can go. "
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash wrote:

I think that is the third time it has been posted since you did!

:lol:
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    dish_dash wrote:

"I knew it was going to be ugly" :D ~2:00 in. Engaging guy.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • dish_dash
    yeah, that an telling Contador to break a leg ;)

I warmed to him in a way that I never had done before... wish more teams would do more interviews like this, shows a more human side to the riders... OGE's Backstage Pass is an excellent example for others to follow.