TDF Stage 10-Mulhouse-La Planche des Belles Filles *spoiler*

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I honestly believe very little can be gleaned from stage 8 when Contador gained 3 seconds. It was a 3rd cat climb after only two other relatively small climbs.

It basically came about because Contador knew he had to try and use every available opportunity to gain back time. If he had been level on time with Nibali they probably would have just watched each other that day.

He's much more effective when it comes to the long alpine and pyrenean climbs, after the other riders have been softened up, in my opinion. But sadly we'll never know how the two would have performed on the big mountain days.
  • So....do Sky stick or twist?

I think they'll settle for a podium, just to stop *that other place* going mental if Sky won the TdF with three different riders in consecutive years. :lol:
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    When Innering or Saddles tweeted in s5 that Contador had been dropped from the Contador group,the writing was on the wall (he wasnt on the pave` at that point).To say the race is over,is to ignore the incredible performances yesterday from Martin and JRod.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    So....do Sky stick or twist?

Stick, imo. Porte is sitting well atm and they don't have to force things. Contador being in the race risked acting as a 'block' on the action as everybody waited for him to make his move and tried to hang on as best they could. As things stand now, there are a lot of other players who might be tempted to try something - AG2R in particular have two guys sitting high on GC and looking strong. Porte can afford to reactive race for the time being, I reckon.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    The_Boy wrote:

Stick, imo. Porte is sitting well atm and they don't have to force things. Contador being in the race risked acting as a 'block' on the action as everybody waited for him to make his move and tried to hang on as best they could. As things stand now, there are a lot of other players who might be tempted to try something - AG2R in particular have two guys sitting high on GC and looking strong. Porte can afford to reactive race for the time being, I reckon.

I agree with that. They want to make that annoying prick Valverde ride.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

I think Nieve will be key here. To give Tichie Richie an opportunity to shake a few off he needs to create some indecision/reaction beforehand.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Don't forget that Porte is quite possibly the best TT rider in that top ten. I don't think he will gain much on Nibali and if he doesn't I would put it down to Nibali having a proper three week pedigree.

Personally to see a super-dom who has been sick half the year and performed badly take the Tour title would be pretty awful. And I do not dislike Porte either.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    nevman wrote:
    When Innering or Saddles tweeted in s5 that Contador had been dropped from the Contador group,the writing was on the wall (he wasnt on the pave` at that point).
    Can Contador be dropped from the Contador group?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Blimey, quite a few pages without a mention of Wiggo.

I felt the need to restore order to the thread.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:
    nevman wrote:
    When Innering or Saddles tweeted in s5 that Contador had been dropped from the Contador group,the writing was on the wall (he wasnt on the pave` at that point).

Yes. The Contador group doesn't cease to be the Contador group until after Contador has been dropped from the Contador group.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    nevman wrote:

Yes. The Contador group doesn't cease to be the Contador group until after Contador has been dropped from the Contador group.
    But surely riders have moved ahead of the Contador group rather than him being dropped from it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    nevman wrote:

But surely riders have moved ahead of the Contador group rather than him being dropped from it.

The Contador group has simply ceased to exist.
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    Yes it is a shame that Contador is out, he would have clearly gone on the offensive, but then with Froome also out it almost feels like balance has been restored to the force.

I do hope we see someone take it to Nibs, I don't want to see Astana win this tour one bit.

One thing that strikes me is how many big names are crashing. Lance never binned it this much...
  • Don't forget that Porte is quite possibly the best TT rider in that top ten. I don't think he will gain much on Nibali and if he doesn't I would put it down to Nibali having a proper three week pedigree.

Personally to see a super-dom who has been sick half the year and performed badly take the Tour title would be pretty awful. And I do not dislike Porte either.

Super-dom for this tour... he's was still Sky's man 'originally' for the Giro
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    nevman wrote:

Well, we all knew that. I think. :? :wink:

I think, I think I am, therefore I am, I think.
  • frenchfighter
    "I was actually in front of Contador on the next climb after he had crashed because he had obviously had to stop to get himself sorted out, but then I was dropped by the peloton and after about three or four minutes, he came flying past with his team at probably double the speed I was going. I thought at the time he must be OK and not too badly hurt, but then it turned out he was riding with a broken leg! I couldn’t believe it when I found out. It just shows you how much it means to some guys."

-Simon Yates.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    “Although I’d lost time in the general race, I was happy with the way my legs were going and I was ready to fight for victory at the stage in which I fell,” he explains. “But in just one second everything was shot to hell. We were going down at 70-80km/h on a long stretch, I looked up and saw there was no danger ahead. I reached for my pocket, but the moment I lifted my hand from the handle the bike hit a bump and I went down.”

The 31-year-old rider explains that at first he tried to climb back on his bike and keep going, as though nothing had happened. “It was a reflex. But the knee wound was so deep that the articulation was not working. So we waited for the doctor and took it easy,”

Despite the wound, which turned out to be a tibial plateau fracture, the Spanish cyclist still managed to pedal for another 18km and climb a category-one ascent while hardly falling back from the pack.

“I did it, I put up with the pain, because we invested so much work in the Tour that I didn’t want to give up. I didn’t want all that work to go to waste, but a moment finally came when I realized that the Tour was over for me.”

“I wouldn’t know how to describe my feelings,” he told the four journalists waiting for him. “I am mostly sad over all the sacrifices that I made to reach the Tour in good shape. I worked really hard, and I think I can say that I had never prepared for a Tour the way I had prepared for this one.”

Long Live Contador.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/07/15/ine ... 87772.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The symtoms of a cartoon style broken leg weren't there, otherwise he wouldn't have even been close to getting back on the bike. He obviously just felt he had a bad knock and was seeing if he could ride it off.
  • mfin
    “Although I’d lost time in the general race, I was happy with the way my legs were going and I was ready to fight for victory at the stage in which I fell,” he explains. “But in just one second everything was shot to hell. We were going down at 70-80km/h on a long stretch, I looked up and saw there was no danger ahead. I reached for my pocket, but the moment I lifted my hand from the handle the bike hit a bump and I went down.

Well, he might have seen there was no danger ahead, but there plainly was.
  • mfin
    "I worked really hard, and I think I can say that I had never prepared for a Tour the way I had prepared for this one.

Cough splutter, spits mouthful of biscuit across the room.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Coriander wrote:
    Do men win the Tour because they haven't crashed, or do they not crash because they are Tour winning standard riders?

Does it matter?

Well yes it does.

If you're going to say that people who are in the form needed to win the Tour don't crash that is a causal claim that needs to be backed up with evidence tested and re-tested over and over until you can substantively move from a hypothesis i.e. those with form don't crash? to a claim i.e. those with form don't crash.

Then there is saying that Tour winners don't crash which is really just a case of stating the bleeding obvious because you can't really win the Tour if you have withdrawn because of a crash. The reasons for that crash may well be form but there may be multiple other reasons.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    mfin wrote:
    "I worked really hard, and [b]I think I can say that I had never prepared for a Tour the way I had prepared for this one.”[/b]

So??????? All the top guys prepare 100% for the Tour, thats what they get paid for. He was behind, he tried to make up time and crashed, thats racing.
  • Daz555
    mike6 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    "I worked really hard, and [b]I think I can say that I had never prepared for a Tour the way I had prepared for this one.”[/b]

So??????? All the top guys prepare 100% for the Tour, thats what they get paid for. He was behind, he tried to make up time and crashed, thats racing.
    I think you missed the implication that Contador has in fact prepared much "better" for Tours in the past.
  • above_the_cows
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

^This. If Sky manage to get Valverde to ride instead of just sit on and hope to pick up a few seconds here and there in a sprint for the line it will be the most impressive thing I have seen in many Tours.*

*OK 'slight' exaggeration and I know that there's nothing really 'wrong' with the way Señor Hairplugs rides, it's sensible and plays to his strengths, but you know what I mean.
  • Daz555
    edited July 2014
    mfin wrote:
    The symtoms of a cartoon style broken leg weren't there.
    Safe to assume it was not flapping about. Bone was probably still in one piece despite being fractured.

Still must have hurt like hell.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

^This. If Sky manage to get Valverde to ride instead of just sit on and hope to pick up a few seconds here and there in a sprint for the line it will be the most impressive thing I have seen in many Tours.*

*OK 'slight' exaggeration and I know that there's nothing really 'wrong' with the way Señor Hairplugs rides, it's sensible and plays to his strengths, but you know what I mean.

Yes, I was not happy seeing Valverde cross the line first out of that chasing group yesterday having done nothing until the last 100m or so. Think Sky need to do something with Nieve, having him sit a few riders behind Porte before going out the back isn't much use to them.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I wonder if Tinkoff-Saxo might be up for working over Valv,Piti after the altercation after stage 5.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • above_the_cows
    iainf72 wrote:
    I wonder if Tinkoff-Saxo might be up for working over Valv,Piti after the altercation after stage 5.

What altercation?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    iainf72 wrote:

What altercation?

Bert and Piti's mechanics got into it a bit because Bert's guy accused Piti of taking a tow during the stage. They had to be separated by someone else.

Looks like Piti's cartoon villain hat is well deserved
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Daz555 wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

I think you missed the implication that Contador has in fact prepared much "better" for Tours in the past.

Oh I got the implication, well it was hardly subtle. I chose to ignore it and respond to FFs post, hence the highlight. :D