TDF Stage 10-Mulhouse-La Planche des Belles Filles *spoiler*

Comments

• adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Unless I've misunderstood this, AC took Roaches bike after a crash then crashed again on the Tarmac bike which is when he fractured his tibia. The Tarmac bike was not damaged and was the bike shown by his side on the verge.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contado ... ne-descent
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    adamfo wrote:
    Unless I've misunderstood this, AC took Roaches bike after a crash then crashed again on the Tarmac bike which is when he fractured his tibia. The Tarmac bike was not damaged and was the bike shown by his side on the verge.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contado ... ne-descent
    More complications... I did hear he'd crashed twice earlier, and this would be a better explanation for why that Tarmac was sitting right next to him with Roche nowhere to be seen (you'd think he'd have been waiting there unless he was already up the road)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    This started becasue an NBC rider on a motorbike told Phil (whilst Paul was talking on ITV) that "Contador's bike has snapped" but didnt know anything as to when or how...apparently NBC is to apologise to Spesh tomorrow

More than anything though it shows that cycling fans are second to none at making mountains out of molehills. Who the hell cares how the bike snapped?!?!?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    ddraver wrote:
    More than anything though it shows that cycling fans are second to none at making mountains out of molehills. Who the hell cares how the bike snapped?!?!?
    Um, we care because a pro rider having their frame fail catastrophically is basically the equivalent to an F1 car exploding around a driver. It'd be kind of big news if that was what had actually happened, right? That's presumably why NBC are apologising, it would have been a massive reputation hit for Specialized had it been true! And that's before you even consider who the rider involved was.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    I think this has a slight case of Tour fever though. If this had happened in Tirreno Adriatico, it would have provoked half the polemic
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    adr82 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Um, we care because a pro rider having their frame fail catastrophically is basically the equivalent to an F1 car exploding around a driver. It'd be kind of big news if that was what had actually happened, right? That's presumably why NBC are apologising, it would have been a massive reputation hit for Specialized had it been true! And that's before you even consider who the rider involved was.

So none of you heard Phil say that the Frame had snapped and thought..."umm no that doesn't really sound right does it? Something else must have happened"

Me and Thom were the only ones..?

...kay
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    adr82 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I'm with "ddraver". "Who the hell cares how the bike snapped?". And how does that relate to F1? And who cares if an F1 car explodes? What? I'm not gonna buy a Ferrari because one of their race cars gave it up? Gimme a break. Also, as for the "..WE care..", don't include anyone but yourself in that category. It's only a bike frame, and it broke. SOMEHOW. Total non issue.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    So,thinking about it overnight,what happened in the first crash.?Or did I dream this and they all start again in sunny Mulhouse.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Well that's a disappointing outcome.

No more yellow jersey battle. At all.

*sigh*
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    @inrng: There are so many conflicting stories of what happened to Contador's bike that Specialized should bring out a new frame, The Rashomon

I think that about sums it all up.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ddraver wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

So none of you heard Phil say that the Frame had snapped and thought..."umm no that doesn't really sound right does it? Something else must have happened"

Me and Thom were the only ones..?

...kay
    Do you warm up on the :roll: :roll: :roll: before being so condescending?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I am still very upset about this. We didn't even get to see him on a high mountain yet with his best form ever as confirmed by several different people close to him. The damage to the fans enjoyment is unparalleled - this Tour is now a shadow of its former self.

Reading the rider's quotes who saw the crash, it sounds like it was a really very bad one - at high speed, with multiple impacts with the floor. They were highly surprised he was able to continue for the time he did. That's Alberto though - what a rider, what a man.

Cautious optimism surrounds his injury and we have to strongly hope he is there at the Vuelta.

TourdeFranceStage10AlbertoContadorBike_3172635.jpg

A thought to Machado as well. I am glad the organisers did not cut him out of the race. I hope he starts in Tuesday but it will be understandable if he doesn't.

TiagoMachado_3172649.jpg

@mickrogers · 13h
    Touching moments within @tinkoff_saxo helping @albertocontador stay in the #tdf after his high speed crash. You did us proud Alberto! Thanks
    @olegtinkov · 13h
    Best and speedy recovery to @albertocontador with his broken tibia! You're the best, IMHO he'd have won this #TDF, you were the strongest!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82 wrote:
    ... a pro rider having their frame fail catastrophically is basically the equivalent to an F1 car exploding around a driver. It'd be kind of big news if that was what had actually happened, right? That's presumably why NBC are apologising, it would have been a massive reputation hit for Specialized had it been true! And that's before you even consider who the rider involved was.

Exactly, and it was no surprise that the 'broken frame' theory gained traction when what the team were initially saying was been contradicted by what we could see with our own eyes. Whatever, what with bikes being 'driven over', 'falling from the roof of cars', 'being tangled with other team cars when overtaking' and crashed the Specialized race division will probably be doing overtime just to replace all the frames wasted today!
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • rick_chasey
    So all the lotto riders who witnessed the crash put the blame squarely on Contador.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    ddraver wrote:
    This started becasue an NBC rider on a motorbike told Phil (whilst Paul was talking on ITV) that "Contador's bike has snapped" but didnt know anything as to when or how...apparently NBC is to apologise to Spesh tomorrow

Clearly several people on this thread cared. You dont, well done - you operate in a higher realm along with Dennis.
  • frenchfighter
    So all the lotto riders who witnessed the crash put the blame squarely on Contador.

Yes that criminal JVB tries to poor scorn on the Greatest Stage Racer of his generation with little thought to his injuries or the loss for the race.

He was going down a descent fast, not risky, hit a hole and crashed. It could have happened to anyone. They should get over it.

Philippe Mauduit:
    “I think they were pretty much at the front at the beginning of the downhill and we asked them not to take any risks. I don’t think they were moving up. That was not the call. Alberto is smart enough that if we tell them not to take any risks, they don’t take any risks.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I don't think anyone is dismissing his injury or loss to the race. But 3 different riders said Contador was taking huge unnecessary risks on that descent. Add in complaints of overly risky descending last year and you have to wonder what's going on.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    That the Greatest Form of His Career is bluster from the team, would be my guess.
  • rick_chasey
    It's shite for the race. Really is.

Snoozefest for yellow.
  • frenchfighter
    andyp wrote:
    That the Greatest Form of His Career is bluster from the team, would be my guess.

I have seen it said by four separate people on four separate occasions.

If you have watched any racing this year you know it is correct.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:
    I don't think anyone is dismissing his injury or loss to the race. But 3 different riders said Contador was taking huge unnecessary risks on that descent. Add in complaints of overly risky descending last year and you have to wonder what's going on.

You exaggerate. I have read all the quotes. He and his team was moving up a little - so fucking what, maybe they didn't need to but regardless it is not a big issue. It was a straight road. If they think that is too risky then they should give up racing.

See the quote from Mauduit I posted.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

You exaggerate. I have read all the quotes. He and his team was moving up a little - so ******* what, maybe they didn't need to but regardless it is not a big issue. It was a straight road. If they think that is too risky then they should give up racing.

See the quote from Mauduit I posted.

I don't see why you dismiss what everyone says. You didn't see it, nor did I. He's got form for risky descending.

I'm with Andyp here - I think his form was on the decline. A few journalists commented on it before the stage too. It's a big loss because even without the form he would've tried.
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    edited July 2014

Snoozefest for yellow.

So no different from the last two years then. It's just a different Team leading the procession to Paris.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I'm finding it difficult to judge if some of these comments are serious or mediocre sarcasm/satire. Surely such pathetic hero worship ends by 13 or so? One rider among very many no longer there so it's all spoiled? "My hero has failed, so I'm not going to be interested now, so there!" Quite apart from the childishness of such tantrums, a sheer bloody insult to those still racing.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    OPQS wrote:

Snoozefest for yellow.

So no different from the last two years then. It's just a different Team leading the procession to Paris.

Maybe, but I think many had high hopes for a real battle for yellow this year so it's about unmet expectations (we all knew that Froome would win last year and Wiggins was a strong favourite coming in so the parade that 2012 and 2013 became was kind of expected).
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Of the 3 toughest stage of the Tour so far Nibali was won 2 and *won* 1

Anyone who thinks he doesn't deserve this Tour, if indeed it does win, is a dough head.

+1000

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    Paulie W wrote:
    OPQS wrote:

Snoozefest for yellow.

Maybe, but I think many had high hopes for a real battle for yellow this year so it's about unmet expectations (we all knew that Froome would win last year and Wiggins was a strong favourite coming in so the parade that 2012 and 2013 became was kind of expected).

I don't disagree. The Tour has been a complete nightmare for GC. I can't believe how hard it's been as well - very tough parcours this year. The weather hasn't helped.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    meagain wrote:
    I'm finding it difficult to judge if some of these comments are serious or mediocre sarcasm/satire. Surely such pathetic hero worship ends by 13 or so? One rider among very many no longer there so it's all spoiled? "My hero has failed, so I'm not going to be interested now, so there!" Quite apart from the childishness of such tantrums, a sheer bloody insult to those still racing.

Exactly. The Tour is never over untill the line is crossed in Paris. It's never been a procession, Contador and Froome are out because they crashed. Unless another rider was involved it was entirely there own fault. Sad but true.

I'm sure there are a lot of riders who will be giving Nibali a hard time all the way to Paris, Porte for one.
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'm with Andyp here - I think his form was on the decline. A few journalists commented on it before the stage too. It's a big loss because even without the form he would've tried.

Based on nothing. He has been at the front of every stage bar the circus stage. You are in the hands of those odd-sounding journos you fawn over on the podcasts and twitter. Well, like most journos, what they say with regard these things is just an opinion and many of the prognostics are proved wrong. There job is to make money from these things.

You telling me he can perform amazingly all year then you suggest that when he turns up at the Tour his form is on a downward spiral? Wishful thinking.

He was about 25th position in the bunch 100km from the finish. Would you like to explain to me why he would ride like a nutter on the descent? There is no reason whatsoever for him to do so.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    mike6 wrote:

Exactly. The Tour is never over untill the line is crossed in Paris. It's never been a procession, Contador and Froome are out because they crashed. Unless another rider was involved it was entirely there own fault. Sad but true.

You mean like Froome?