TDF Stage 10-Mulhouse-La Planche des Belles Filles *spoiler*

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    "Shall I win the Tour, it'll be difficult to say I win because Chris Froome and Contador have crashed. I already had a good lead and I was ready to fight in a big duel with Alberto. Crashes are part of the sport. I've crashed myself many times in the past as well. It's a pity that the Tour has lost two major protagonists. I hope it's not too bad for Alberto. I wish him the best."
    -Nibali.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    mike6 wrote:
    It's never been a procession

Not this year perhaps. But if you look back at previous Tours there are multiple examples where GC was obvious very early and nothing (or little) changed at the top from first contact with the mountains to the Champs Elysée.
  • frenchfighter
    “This is a huge blow because I’ve been working towards this for months,” Contador told NIS after he abandoned the race yesterday.

“For months I’ve been sacrificing everything. I was rarely in such a top condition as now. I want to make it clear,” he added.

“But it’s how it goes in bike racing. Now it was my turn. I have to recover first and then we will move on.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    "Shall I win the Tour, it'll be difficult to say I win because Chris Froome and Contador have crashed. I already had a good lead and I was ready to fight in a big duel with Alberto. Crashes are part of the sport. I've crashed myself many times in the past as well. It's a pity that the Tour has lost two major protagonists. I hope it's not too bad for Alberto. I wish him the best."
    -Nibali.

I do hope we have no more major upsets this year. Not sure my heart can take it!
  • We didn't even get to see him on a high mountain yet with his best form ever as confirmed by several different people close to him.

Sorry - The only confirmation of form is on the road when you need it. Talk is cheap. He might have been in the best form of his life, but then again, he might just have been going OK. We'll never know.
  • frenchfighter
    We didn't even get to see him on a high mountain yet with his best form ever as confirmed by several different people close to him.

Sorry - The only confirmation of form is on the road when you need it. Talk is cheap. He might have been in the best form of his life, but then again, he might just have been going OK. We'll never know.

Go and watch the races he was in this year and tell me he wasn't flying.

And it doesn't take any skill whatsoever to understand that he and his team would have done everything to make his form peak for the Tour.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    “This was a very hard day," he said- "Many things happened, including Contador's retirement, which is a pity for the spectacle. For now I'm fourth on GC at the rest day but I don't want to be caught up in the moment."

Bardet did well to take white yesterday and I hope he holds on. He also understands the importance of Contador to the race.

--

"Yes I gave a little push to Tony. I remember 2004 when I was getting dropped, Virenque took a turn in front of me. It was not much, just a hand to a Frenchman in the lead, it's rather logical."
    -Voeckler referring to Gallopin.

--

As usual Rodriguez speaks well. On top of the other things he said, he said this:

"But the crash of Alberto Contador is a bigger disaster. He is a very active rider and he would have fired up the race in the Pyrenees."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

You telling me he can perform amazingly all year then you suggest that when he turns up at the Tour his form is on a downward spiral? Wishful thinking.

He was about 25th position in the bunch 100km from the finish. Would you like to explain to me why he would ride like a nutter on the descent? There is no reason whatsoever for him to do so.

Why not? It happens. In terms of his form, for me alarm bells rang when he burnt his team on the front all day and didn't make any real inroads into Nibali. They wouldn't happen with an on-song Contador.

I don't know why he'd have ridden like a Nutter. A few people have commented on it, who were there. You and I weren't. You side with Contador, I'm neutral, and the riders who've commented don't really have any vested interest.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    We didn't even get to see him on a high mountain yet with his best form ever as confirmed by several different people close to him.

And it doesn't take any skill whatsoever to understand that he and his team would have done everything to make his form peak for the Tour.
    You can plan to peak for the Tour all you want, it doesn't mean that it's actually going to happen...
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Clearly Contador IS the race. This farce should be ended now. And next year HE should of course be the sole entrant.

Drivel.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Contador looked in very good shape during the Dauphine, certainly much better than last year. There were some small signs on Jenkin Road and La Mauselaine that suggested that he was perhaps not just as sharp as that. But then those were no real mountains, and it was only the first week of a 3 week tour for which he might have worked towards a peak later on in the race. It's big shame that we will just never know.
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:

You telling me he can perform amazingly all year then you suggest that when he turns up at the Tour his form is on a downward spiral? Wishful thinking.

He was about 25th position in the bunch 100km from the finish. Would you like to explain to me why he would ride like a nutter on the descent? There is no reason whatsoever for him to do so.

Why not? It happens. In terms of his form, for me alarm bells rang when he burnt his team on the front all day and didn't make any real inroads into Nibali. They wouldn't happen with an on-song Contador.

I don't know why he'd have ridden like a Nutter. A few people have commented on it, who were there. You and I weren't. You side with Contador, I'm neutral, and the riders who've commented don't really have any vested interest.

Read the quote from Contador. Then tell me your assessment of his form and your favoured journos is better than Contador's in addition to the people that work closely with him and have done for years.

Re that stage - how many times do I need to say it. Tinkoff wanted to clear the general classification a little (achieved this) so that there were fewer riders of danger to control later if they went in breaks. Also, on a climb like that you do not make much of a difference especially taking it up slowly at 1km to go. Contador also, by his own admission, slowed with a few hundred m to go as he was saving something for the sprint and stage win, then realised Kadri was ahead. Finally, riding on the front does not mean you are going to attack.

Read the quote from Maudiot again.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72

Read the quote from Contador. Then tell me your assessment of his form and your favoured journos is better than Contador's in addition to the people that work closely with him and have done for years.

Can we just confirm : If Contador was in less than tip top form you believe Contador and his people would tell the truth about this?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Not sure I've seen this posted yet. Here's Nico Roche's view. Clearly talks of a broken bike and one heck of a crash...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-s ... 31225.html
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:

Can we just confirm : If Contador was in less than tip top form you believe Contador and his people would tell the truth about this?

I am not discussing this further with you. If you want to be obtuse about the situation and base your opinions on thinking people are lying then so be it. It couldnt be clearer you are wrong but if you want to believe Contador did not have form then I can live with that.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    I don't think anyone is dismissing his injury or loss to the race. But 3 different riders said Contador was taking huge unnecessary risks on that descent. Add in complaints of overly risky descending last year and you have to wonder what's going on.

You exaggerate. I have read all the quotes. He and his team was moving up a little - so ******* what, maybe they didn't need to but regardless it is not a big issue. It was a straight road. If they think that is too risky then they should give up racing.

See the quote from Mauduit I posted.

I don't see why you dismiss what everyone says. You didn't see it, nor did I.

You do know why, it's irrational extreme bias.
  • frenchfighter
    dish_dash wrote:
    Not sure I've seen this posted yet. Here's Nico Roche's view. Clearly talks of a broken bike and one heck of a crash...

No not posted. A very good read. Thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Mfin, just an fyi: you have talked so much sh*t recently and offered little of worth so you are back on block, so if you are looking for a response with your posts, save yourself the effort.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    I said this earlier, Contador did NOT have the form of his life. Anyone can watch some 2007 clips for instance and see him sprinting up the hills like a maniac. Now that is 'form'. Ok, we know why he had that form back then, so perhaps they mean 'form of his life' in the context of certain doping.

Anyway, he's out, he crashed.
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    Mfin, just an fyi: you have talked so much sh*t recently and offered little of worth so you are back on block, so if you are looking for a response with your posts, save yourself the effort.

You really are a child.
  • Go and watch the races he was in this year and tell me he wasn't flying.

The only one I followed was the Dauphine, where if memory serves he lost. Flying Contadors don't lose. They win by minutes.

In the Tour, he was over 2 minutes down to Nibs when he abandoned. One can dismiss the cobbles as a circus stage, but he lost a lot of time off the cobbles as well.

He may have been flying early in the season (or maybe everyone else was in traditional early season form) but he doesn't appear to have been flying recently.

I'm a big Contador fan btw, but it wasn't looking good before he crashed.
  • iainf72

I am not discussing this further with you. If you want to be obtuse about the situation and base your opinions on thinking people are lying then so be it. It couldnt be clearer you are wrong but if you want to believe Contador did not have form then I can live with that.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with lying in this context.

Good - I think it's an enormous pity Contador and Froome are out.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    iainf72 wrote:

pic-getty-images-704101410.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    For those interested in the bike saga. Taken from another place, this is good:

Cracked bike transponder is neutral, hence spare:
    10502446_517405068361231_5391318866363121880_n.jpg
    Note the transponder on his race bike he crashed on has 31 on it and the frame has his logo:
    Bsg7jdGIAAENP1d.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    edited July 2014

Well, I haven't reported this, even though it's off-topic and personal. It's likely someone will quote this so you'll see it anyway. What is the big deal, anyone can look at Contador recently and compare him to his supercharged era and see his form does not compare. It's not my fault that this difference is a lot down to doping, but if you seriously think he is riding better, harder, faster than he was back then then you must be in a very very very small minority indeed.

If you could remain impartial and neutral for a second you would also entertain the idea that he could well have descended dangerously and this could have contributed to him crashing out. It appears you can't entertain the idea because you are so incredibly biased that you think there is no chance of him having taken any risks.

If you think I'm 'talking so much sh1t recently' then you go ahead and think that, but feel free to apologise for suddenly getting personal if you have the inclination to do so.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    iainf72 wrote:

hardly a model citizen is he?
  • frenchfighter

The only one I followed was the Dauphine, where if memory serves he lost. Flying Contadors don't lose. They win by minutes.

In the Tour, he was over 2 minutes down to Nibs when he abandoned. One can dismiss the cobbles as a circus stage, but he lost a lot of time off the cobbles as well.

He may have been flying early in the season (or maybe everyone else was in traditional early season form) but he doesn't appear to have been flying recently.

I'm a big Contador fan btw, but it wasn't looking good before he crashed.

In the Dauphine he single handedly took minutes out of the others after he and Froome has stopped racing and the gap opened. He also held Froome's wheel who was going 150%.

There are other examples but have a look at this:
    http://www.steephill.tv/tirreno-adriati ... sults-2014
    Contador is the Greatest
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    mfin wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

FF's blind worship of Alberto was mildly entertaining for a while but now it's got to the point where he's just abusive to anyone whose opinion he doesn't like. IMHO he's been well out of order a few times recently. For me it's spoiling every single discussions about Contador, Sky etc. If my 12 y/o son was that rude to people online I'd ban him from using the internet.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    dish_dash wrote:

That makes much more sense. I'd heard some suggestion before that Contador had crashed once, taken Roche's bike and then had the second serious crash that caused his injury while riding Roche's bike. This didn't make sense as Roche's bike doesn't look like it's been crashed at 70 kph in the photos of Contador standing at the roadside. This also explains why Contador was being treated on an uphill stretch of road when the later descriptions said he crashed on the descent.

So Contador crashed on the descent, took Roche's bike and then stopped 2km later for treatment which is where he was when we got TV footage of him being treated. In the article Roche says Contador's bike was "broken", but he doesn't say the frame snapped. The pictured bike earlier in the thread with the ripped bar tape and knackered shifters could be accurately described as "broken".
  • frenchfighter
    Yes, I would agree with that assessment.
    Simon E wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

FF's blind worship of Alberto was mildly entertaining for a while but now it's got to the point where he's just abusive to anyone whose opinion he doesn't like. IMHO he's been well out of order a few times recently. For me it's spoiling every single discussions about Contador, Sky etc. If my 12 y/o son was that rude to people online I'd ban him from using the internet.

Really? Please provide examples.
    I will apologize if what I have said is out of order and the person concerned is upset. This is not likely to be the case.
    Contador is the Greatest