TDF Stage 10-Mulhouse-La Planche des Belles Filles *spoiler*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
edited December 2014 in Pro race
PROFIL.png
Mountain passes & hills Mulhouse / La Planche des Belles Filles 161.5KM

Km 30.5 - Col du Firstplan (722 m)8.3 kilometre-long climb at 5.4% - category 2

Km 54.5 - Petit Ballon (1 163 m)9.3 kilometre-long climb at 8.1% - category 1

Km 71.5 - Col du Platzerwasel (1 193 m)7.1 kilometre-long climb at 8.4% - category 1

Km 103.5 - Col d'Oderen (884 m)6.7 kilometre-long climb at 6.1% - category 2

Km 125.5 - Col des Croix3.2 kilometre-long climb at 6.2% - category 3

Km 143.5 - Col des Chevrères (914 m)3.5 kilometre-long climb at 9.5% - category 1

Km 161.5 - La Planche des Belles Filles (1 035 m)5.9 kilometre-long climb at 8.5% - category 1
The launch Pad
Tour-de-France-Stage-10-1400756174.png.jpg

Last kms
PROFILKMS.png[/quote]

The essential accompaniment to viewing the hardest ever Vosges stage:

Gewurztraminer-Alsace-Trimbach.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    The entire stage will be shown live on all the usual Europoean tv channels.
    The flag goes down at 12-30pm.

Can Lotto control the stampede for all the KOM points on offer with such a "weak" team?
    Will any of the big teams step in to take control of the race early, or can yet another breakaway succeed?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Real tough stage and I like the fact there is little valley. Really hope it kicks off on Cheveres as it is close enough and tough enough.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    edited July 2014
    What does *spoiler* mean?

Is it one of those stupid PC things like the way the BBC puts all headlines like "this"? As if putting in inverted commas means they can claim they didn't really mean it. All headlines are just alleged.

How can you spoil something that hasn't happened? And once it's happened it's too late anyway.

And if you think you might be revealing something that happened to someone that has recorded it and wants to pretend they do not know the result then WTF are they doing reading an internet forum about it for!

Rant over.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    edited July 2014
    Stage 10

5uheyw.jpg

fne52f.jpg

2cqcio3.jpg

ou4g13.jpg

ou4bvb.jpg

Munster Cheese

2s8h0d2.jpg

Munster or Munster-géromé, is a strong tasting, soft cheese made mainly from milk from the Vosges, between Alsace, Lorraine and Franche-Comté in France. Munster is derived from the Alsace town of Munster, where, among Vosgian abbeys and monasteries, the cheese was conserved and matured in monks' cellars. Not to be confused with an American cheese of the same name. :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    So, one thread promises just one spoiler, the other many.

Is this a fox/hedgehog thing?
  • RideOnTime
    So, one thread promises just one spoiler, the other many.

Is this a fox/hedgehog thing?

Sorted now.. while I was busy collating the pics the thread got posted :)
  • RideOnTime
    edited July 2014
    2rpeh3r.jpg

Just in case you've not seen my Lotto Belisol bus picture - here it is again - more relevant now it carries the maillot jaune.

:) but I couldn't have known what would happen.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I wonder if this is the stage Riblon will target. Not so sure but there will be one for certain. He is third from last.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Dippydog2 wrote:

Is it one of those stupid PC things like the way the BBC puts all headlines like "this"? As if putting in inverted commas means they can claim they didn't really mean it. All headlines are just alleged.

How can you spoil something that hasn't happened? And once it's happened it's too late anyway.

And if you think you might be revealing something that happened to someone that has recorded it and wants to pretend they do not know the result then WTF are they doing reading an internet forum about it for!

Rant over.

It's just a convention to put spoiler in any thread title which gives away the result of that day's stage so as not to spoil the enjoyment of those who haven't had a chance to watch it yet. It means people can still browse the forum at some point during the day and not just past 10pm when they have had a chance to sit down and watch the cycling.

Yes it may be obvious that a thread with the stage itself as the title is likely to discuss what happened on that stage but so what it maintains the etiquette and harms nobody.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Dippydog2 wrote:

Rant over.

It's just a convention to put spoiler in any thread title which gives away the result of that day's stage so as not to spoil the enjoyment of those who haven't had a chance to watch it yet. It means people can still browse the forum at some point during the day and not just past 10pm when they have had a chance to sit down and watch the cycling.

Yes it may be obvious that a thread with the stage itself as the title is likely to discuss what happened on that stage but so what it maintains the etiquette and harms nobody.

One thing that I appreciate about it here is that it makes it a lot easier to scan down and quickly identify the threads about actual stages, as opposed to the general chatter about racing in general.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I reckon this is one of the hardest stages that the Tour has had for a long time.

And my PTP (Pro Trouser Pundit) pick is red, maybe a burgundy, for Stefano tomorrow.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    RichN95 wrote:
    I reckon this is one of the hardest stages that the Tour has had for a long time.

And my PTP (Pro Trouser Pundit) pick is red, maybe a burgundy, for Stefano tomorrow.

It looks he's bought Lionel Birnie's Adidas Gazelles off him.

(For those non-hipsters, Lionels Gazelles got ruined at the pavé at Wallers on Wednesday)
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    RichN95 wrote:

Good call with the red/burgundy trouser option. I guess it all depends on the size of Stefano's baggage allowance. From the range on show so far it's reasonably large - he's not had too many repeats, IIRC. Standouts so far for me are the orange numbers. I'm assuming we will see them again at some point.
    I became interested in European men's trousers when I moved to the Netherlands. As an Englishman I always believed I had the choice of blue, black, brown or khaki, and although I'd previously lived in Germany I was in the former East and the tones were similarly muted. However, the men of Maastricht are noted as peacocks of the fashion world - you should see the range of pointy shoes on sale there. Brightly-coloured dandies are often accompanied by relatively drab partners clad head to toe in Sarah Pacini or similar:
    sarah_pachini.jpg
    Only in the Netherlands was the true rainbow of potential of leg wear was revealed to me. I had a colleague at my previous place of work who sported the full range - red, light blue, green and, alarmingly, mustard. By contrast the Dutch ladies, when they want to be smart/casual in trousers favour the white jean. On an early summer's day the cobbles of Maastricht old town echo to the sound of brown, calf-length leather boots, into which will be tucked the tightest pair of white jeans possible.
    Although I would never dream of wearing such brightly coloured leg-tailoring myself, I salute the Dutch men for their ambition and lack of self-consciousness when it comes to the pant.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Gary Verity showing how it's done

3087297889.jpg
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Gary Verity showing how it's done

3087297889.jpg

While those are certainly a fine canary yellow pair I am guessing he doesn't wear them other than at official TdF events...Good find, though!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Interesting stage because Contador can't afford to waste any of the summit finishes, but the final 500m really isn't his type of finish. I think we could see Saxo soften up the field from a long way out and then Contador attack from the very start of the climb.

It's even possible he could try an attack over the penultimate climb but that would be a big gamble with so many mountain stages to go.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Dippydog2 wrote:

Rant over.

Hello, have you got a cow to contribute? We've got our wine and our cheese. Or maybe you can do the geology?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Nothing wrong with coloured trousers.

Just on holiday I have royal blue, leaf green, pistachio green, burnt orange, fine dark blue & grey check, sand colour etc
  • RideOnTime
    Dippydog2 wrote:

Rant over.

Hello, have you got a cow to contribute? We've got our wine and our cheese. Or maybe you can do the geology?

I don't think you should feel moribund if these matters have been covered there's plenty of cheese around, and wine. You could cover local customs, or show us your photos of earlier stages.

Also the intermittent attractive young lady cyclist does not go amiss. Assuming the ladies (and others interested in men) are already happy with the odd shot of Froomey's knee-cap or Dave Brailsford's hairsuit etc which comes with the thread as standard.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    BsfUfmMCcAAvhtT.jpg:large
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Lovely bike.

Ridley have really upped the ante with their retro paint jobs this tour.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Lovely bike.

Ridley have really upped the ante with their retro paint jobs this tour.

+1, looks even better in yellow than in the standard red...
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Final climb from 2012 (after flat stage!).
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • blazing_saddles
    If anyone is recording without the epg, be aware of the potentially late finish, today.
    Projected times are: 17h32 cet (40kph) 17h44 (38kph) 17h59 (36kph)
    40kph looks a bit ambitious on this course to me.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Macaloon wrote:
    Final climb from 2012 (after flat stage!).
    Nobody will remember it was a much flatter stage, we'll just get the usual people pulling climb times out of their arses to back up whatever their opinions already are.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,536
    That bike is gorgeous. Wonderfully understated.

Hope to see Pinot stretch his legs today.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    The potential bus riders must be dreading today.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    No mention of Bastille Day yet? I like Frenchie's Riblon suggestion. It's got to be a Frenchie going on a long one.
  • RideOnTime
    Nothing wrong with coloured trousers.

erm :shock: