TDF Stage 10-Mulhouse-La Planche des Belles Filles *spoiler*

Comments

• OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    mfin wrote:
    I don't think there's many Nibali obsessives on here. I don't think you can even buy Nibali pillow and duvet sets in the UK.

I had to search, just to satisfy myself. You are right, I can't find any Nibali merchandise for sale in the UK. I am disappointed. Perhaps my Googlefu skills are weak.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Steve De Jong interview on ITV website. Says Bert had two crashes. After the first one he took Roche's bike (orange mclaren) and then he crashed again - fracturing his leg... presumably they then put him on his spare bike. If he'd already crashed once it makes sense that he was pushing on the decent...
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Tour over unfortunately. How this race will miss the climbing and attacking of Froome and Contador. I fear that Nibali will be forgotten about and the others will fight it out for the podium, especially the French who will be more desperate than most.

Some turn in form for Nibali though, was being dropped with ease in Romandie and Dauphine not long ago, and suddenly he is flying up hill.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    dish_dash wrote:
    Steve De Jong interview on ITV website. Says Bert had two crashes. After the first one he took Roche's bike (orange mclaren) and then he crashed again - fracturing his leg... presumably they then put him on his spare bike. If he'd already crashed once it makes sense that he was pushing on the decent...
    Just when you think the story couldn't get any more complicated.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    He was taken to the finish where he was given x-rays by the Tour’s medical staff. Team boss Bjarne Riis confirmed to the press that Contador had suffered a fracture to his right tibia and that he would undergo an operation.

"Alberto has a broken tibia. It's not a bad fracture but he needs surgery," Riis told a small group of journalists at the Tinkoff-Saxo bus.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Did Roche crash on the same descent as Contador? I'm fairly certain I remember seeing him by the side of the road at one point.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    Did Roche crash on the same descent as Contador? I'm fairly certain I remember seeing him by the side of the road at one point.
    Not 100% sure it was the same descent but it must only have been 5-10 minutes before that.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    kamil1891 wrote:
    For me , personally, and please, its only an opinion…there is something wholly not right about Nibali's performances up to now…I hope I am wrong..but he has come from nowhere really, I know we are all blessed with hugh amounts of cynicism now, after Lance's epic scam…I for one would love him to be clean, but if the climbing figures for today are true then he is one of the worlds top climbers…since when!!
    He is allegedly a great defender…but up the hill is a lot harder….lets hope I am wrong..but I fear not!!!

troll of the year... or at least this topic.

P.S. surely up to now Nibs was a sprinter, wasn't he?
    2008 at 23 years of age he was 10th in Liege Bastogne and 11th in that years Giro d'Italia.
    In 2010 he was 3rd in the Giro and he won the Vuelta.
    Why didn't you say that in 2012 when he was 3rd in the TDF behind Wiggins and his wheelsucker Froome.

Go back to bed and Dream of something else.
    FORZA - Nibali
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • mfin
    I wonder if in hospital they will ask him if he's ever taken any PEDs? :)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    adr82 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

tumblr_lgvzqlhOvt1qehlczo1_500.png
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    What about Porte? Not his kind of climb, again? Or maybe this is why he didn't ride the Giro. Not back to his 2013 form based on this performance.

With Nibali seemingly untouchable (long way to go) it's going to be a turgid defense of podium places. Best case for the race is if Bardet, Pinot & Peraud can contend for 2nd and 3rd.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    edited July 2014
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Some turn in form for Nibali though, was being dropped with ease in Romandie and Dauphine not long ago, and suddenly he is flying up hill.
    No that's not quite right if you looked more carefully he was not out of breath in either race and played a watching brief.
    This race is his main agenda and he was expecting to fight for it, so in those two races he saved his energy.
    His Intention was shown in Stage 2 & stage 5 TDF this year, but you didn't believe what you saw. :)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • above_the_cows
    Macaloon wrote:
    What about Porte? Not his kind of climb, again? Or maybe this is why he didn't ride the Giro. Not back to his 2013 form based on this performance.

With Nibali seemingly untouchable (long way to go) it's going to be a turgid defense of podium places. Best case for the race is if Bardet, Pinot & Peraud can contend for 2nd and 3rd.

He was 25" behind Nibali after dragging everyone else up the climb. What do you mean not back to his 2013 performance?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Also likely that Valverde will be in the mix somewhere along the way. It will be interesting to see what (if anything) Sky & Movistar can do about isolating Nibali on the longer climbs. I'm not meaning to exclude other teams, just don't know that much about their pedigree.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Macaloon wrote:

Porte didn't seem to be panicking and didn't lose more than twenty-odd seconds to Nibali. Might just be keeping his powder dry - GTs are won over days, not single climbs, and there are plenty of big days to come.
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    adr82 wrote:

I'd like more twists and turns and additional information from AC's mechanic's Aunt (twice removed).
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon wrote:

He was 25" behind Nibali after dragging everyone else up the climb. What do you mean not back to his 2013 performance?

Well it was only the final section where he was on the front dragging everyone. He's supposed to be climbing better than ever: "Flying in training". In 2013 I don't think he would have been looking for help to chase NIbali.

But as I said, longer steadier climbs may suit him better.
  • above_the_cows
    Macaloon wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Well it was only the final section where he was on the front dragging everyone. He's supposed to be climbing better than ever: "Flying in training". In 2013 I don't think he would have been looking for help to chase NIbali.

But as I said, longer steadier climbs may suit him better.

No he was dragging everyone from Nibali's attack. I don't know what you expect but it wasn't like he was putting Nibali to the sword last year.

Weird.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    edited July 2014
    The story with the broken bike was that it fell off the roof of the car, after they fixed Roche's bike. It wasn't Contadors.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Something I noticed on the ascent that I don't think anyone commented on was when Scarponi got back after his crash and was on the front, about 5 minutes before Nibs attacked, they were chatting and Nibs said something and then tapped his bike computer / power meter a couple of times with his finger

Any suggestions what that could have been about ? We he perhaps indicating not to go above a certain wattage perhaps ?

Just curious really
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    I do wish geraint was allowed to go for broke on the cobbles. Just to see how he would then go climbing with the elite group in the high mountains after being shielded for the stage.
  • mfin
    On another note, the crowds were quite respectful of the riders on the final climb. Plus there were no dimwits waving 12 inches of 'sh1t-Pad' in the way either (which was one thing there certainly was a lot of in the UK), they should be confiscated and shattered on the road in front of the owners.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    If Nibali's form has come from nowhere the same can be said of Porte - neither was flying earlier in the season but Nibali has certainly shown half decent form compared to the new Sky leader. I don't think either is doping, I don't know but I don't see any evidence to accuse them but if Nibali's early season makes today suspicious then the same has to go for Porte (and no doubt if I checked it out one or two others).
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Macaloon
    No he was dragging everyone from Nibali's attack. I don't know what you expect but it wasn't like he was putting Nibali to the sword last year.

Weird.

What's weird about expecting the guy who was going to lead the Giro to hang on to Nibali in a situation where he could do with attacking him?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    tumblr_lgvzqlhOvt1qehlczo1_500.png

Jeez - Spoiler Alert!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • above_the_cows
    Macaloon wrote:

Weird.

What's weird about expecting the guy who was going to lead the Giro to hang on to Nibali in a situation where he could do with attacking him?

It's weird that you think he isn't showing the form he showed last year based on one climb against Nibali who has always been consistenly better than him what with being a double GT winner. I never said anything about the Giro that's irrelevant. You said he wasn't showing the same form as last year. I would ask in comparison to what? To last year?

You could also say that every other rider in the race isn't showing the same form as Nibali. That's the point of a race. It shows who is better. But if you want to make it about some weird thing over Sky selection for which you seem to have a rather persistent bee in your bonnet about then go right ahead I'll still think it's weird.
  • mfin
    Riis:

"Mentally he's destroyed, of course. He was in the shape of his life. This was his Tour. It's a mess. We were here to win the Tour de France. He's in super good condition, never better. It's a big, big pity."

He didn't really show it though did he Mr Riis, it was hardly looking like "Contador vs Rasmussen 2007" (although we know why on that point).
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Of the 3 toughest stage of the Tour so far Nibali was won 2 and *won* 1

Anyone who thinks he doesn't deserve this Tour, if indeed it does win, is a dough head.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon wrote:

Weird.

It's weird that you think he isn't showing the form he showed last year based on one climb against Nibali who has always been consistenly better than him what with being a double GT winner. I never said anything about the Giro that's irrelevant. You said he wasn't showing the same form as last year. I would ask in comparison to what? To last year?

You could also say that every other rider in the race isn't showing the same form as Nibali. That's the point of a race. It shows who is better. But if you want to make it about some weird thing over Sky selection for which you seem to have a rather persistent bee in your bonnet about then go right ahead I'll still think it's weird.

I see. Thanks.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    mfin wrote:
    Riis:

"Mentally he's destroyed, of course. He was in the shape of his life. This was his Tour. It's a mess. We were here to win the Tour de France. He's in super good condition, never better. It's a big, big pity."

He didn't really show it though did he Mr Riis, it was hardly looking like "Contador vs Rasmussen 2007" (although we know why on that point).

What are you talking about?

Your posts are a mess.