TDF Stage 10-Mulhouse-La Planche des Belles Filles *spoiler*

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    J Rod blew in the end, but a great ride by him today.

I disagree. Brought back all sorts of unpleasant memories of Richard Virenque. Purito should be better than that - hope he's back to his best for the Vuelta.

Lost 52s in the last k

He's miles down on GC, once he'd been passed by Nibali, why kill himself to save time? He's saving the energy to have another go at KoM points.

I didn't mean that. He was obviously making an attempt at winning the stage, then finally blew, that's what I was saying.
  • mfin
    I really hope I can muster some enthusiasm now the Great One is no longer racing. It was a poorer race for Froome's crash and now it is a significantly poorer race again for Contador's.

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    coriordan wrote:
    I really hope I can muster some enthusiasm now the Great One is no longer racing. It was a poorer race for Froome's crash and now it is a significantly poorer race again for Contador's.

Totally disagree. Everyone has 1st place to race for, not just podium step.

I dunno... have to confess I feel a bit flat too. Long way still to go bu has a feeling of 2013 Giro about it... great individual stage wins but Nibs in control all the way.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    coriordan wrote:

Hmm. This one could go one of two ways. I fear a repeat of Nibali's Giro win though. Still, we haven't reached the proper mountains yet...
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    dish_dash wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

I dunno... have to confess I feel a bit flat too. Long way still to go bu has a feeling of 2013 Giro about it... great individual stage wins but Nibs in control all the way.
    Assuming Nibali doesn't also fall off at some point in the next 2 weeks...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    coriordan wrote:

They're not racing for it though. Look how they were all content to sit behind Porte after Nibali went.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Race is over. Such a pity.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    You need to put a couple mins in not 12secs before you can accuse someone of being on the gear.

No you don't.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    davidof wrote:
    Gallopin "it wasn't just the last climb, it was terrible from the start, the worst day I've ever spent on a bike, it was hell, I'm sorry, I gave everything"

Oh well, clearly he enjoyed his day in yellow... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Well look at that for a top 10:

1 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 4:27:26
    2 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ.fr 0:00:15
    3 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:20
    4 Jean-Christophe Péraud (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:20
    5 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:22
    6 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:00:22
    7 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 0:00:25
    8 Leopold Konig (Cze) Team Netapp-Endura 0:00:50
    9 Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha 0:00:52
    10 Mikel Nieve Iturralde (Spa) Team Sky 0:00:54

I do believe I suggested Porte, Valverde and 3 Frenchmen (Peraud, Pinot and Bardet) as potential challengers upthread. Oh alright, not exactly Mystic Meg but still, I called it quite well for once!
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    davidof wrote:
    Gallopin "it wasn't just the last climb, it was terrible from the start, the worst day I've ever spent on a bike, it was hell, I'm sorry, I gave everything"

Oh well, clearly he enjoyed his day in yellow... :lol:

Yes, I thought it was very sad.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    adr82 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

Assuming Nibali doesn't also fall off at some point in the next 2 weeks...

Indeed... there is always that but as we all know he's a great bike handler! :wink:
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    mfin wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    J Rod blew in the end, but a great ride by him today.

I disagree. Brought back all sorts of unpleasant memories of Richard Virenque. Purito should be better than that - hope he's back to his best for the Vuelta.

Lost 52s in the last k

He's miles down on GC, once he'd been passed by Nibali, why kill himself to save time? He's saving the energy to have another go at KoM points.

I didn't mean that. He was obviously making an attempt at winning the stage, then finally blew, that's what I was saying.

Sorry, it was more of a response to BigMat. He's been out front, sprinting for KoM points all day, so it's no surprise to see him passed by a rider who's been protected all day. He had no real chance of staying with Nibali who was relatively fresh.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RichN95 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

They're not racing for it though. Look how they were all content to sit behind Porte after Nibali went.

Perhaps you're right. I just expected more from the others but didn't realise the gulf between

AC+CF > VN > Everyone else.

Hopefully the high mountains will upset things.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    coriordan wrote:
    Hopefully the high mountains will upset things.

I think they might.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Jesus Hernandez ‏@jesushernandez3 1h
    Quiero despertarme de esta pesadilla,@albertocontador amigos,hermanos,almas gemelas....no era nuestro Tour.Ahora a pensar en la @lavuelta

I want to wake up from this nightmare, @ albertocontador friends, brothers, kindred spirits .... was not our thinking about Tour.Ahora @ lavuelta
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Porte looking over his shoulder at Bardet on GC for his #2 spot in the team?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    Talansky lost ten minutes.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Can Team Sky out drill Astana on the front without setting up Nibali?
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    @TourDeJose 11m

Jurgen Van den Broeck: "It was Contador's own fault. He stepped on the pedals to overtake and rode in a hole." #TDF (on Sporza) !!!
  • above_the_cows
    coriordan wrote:
    Can Team Sky out drill Astana on the front without setting up Nibali?

I don't think so. But they do have a stronger team than the French riders up on GC. I'm not sure about Movistar and Valverde though...
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    The tour has just turned into a chipper.

If Niabli won the tour by beating Froome and Contador then big respect to him. But for beating Pinot, Porte, TvG and Rolland. I know you can only beat the other riders with you but it's still rather poor.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • mfin
    What we need now is Quintana to take a beautiful win in the Vuelta.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Fight for 2nd place now. Contador was the only one left who could take Nibs on. I'm ashamed to admit one of my first thoughts was my PTP campaign has just been saved :/
  • davidof
    rozzer32 wrote:

If Niabli won the tour by beating Froome and Contador then big respect to him. But for beating Pinot, Porte, TvG and Rolland. I know you can only beat the other riders with you but it's still rather poor.

He has beaten Froome and Contador (if he wins), they started, they are no more.
    Instagramme
  • tsincognito
    tsincognito Posts: 12
    edited July 2014
    Both TeeJay and Chris Horner on NBC saying they saw Contador crash on the descent. They said the descent was slow and controlled and didn't see him taking any risks. Both were surprised by the news that he abandoned, with Horner saying that the Tour is basically over.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    davidof wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

He has beaten Froome and Contador (if he wins), they started, they are no more.

He hasn't though has he, they pulled out injured. If he dropped them on the climbs and rode away then fair play, but he hasn't.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • RichN95.
    AG2R take over the lead in the team competition
  • davidof
    rozzer32 wrote:

He hasn't though has he, they pulled out injured. If he dropped them on the climbs and rode away then fair play, but he hasn't.

If all you judge winning on is climbs then organise a series of hill climbs. It is a tour though isn't it. Contador couldn't ride the cobbles or bad road surfaces, Froomster can't ride in a bunch.
    Instagramme
  • above_the_cows
    I'm ashamed to admit one of my first thoughts was my PTP campaign has just been saved :/

You weren't the only one. :oops: