Tour de France Stage 5 Ypres-Arenberg *Spoiler*

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Garmin, Lotto, Astana looking to be in the break. BMC too.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    So.. the everyone waits for the GC guys if they crash or have a mechanical rule..is that in force today or not?
    not once the cobbles have started I would think
  • Turfle
    Big Tone on the attack. Thus begins his love affair with the cobble.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Carlton 'clanger' Kirby making simile's between those who died during the war and today's race. Just no.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ddraver wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Underway - a lot of miserable looking riders...

Surely they are head to toe in Castelli Gabba with rugby padding underneath?

I could try asking the clothing companies twitter accounts about kit again today...Never got an answer from Rapha...

You only get an answer from Rapha if you let them have a look at your bank account and your facial hair first.

Well I'm 50% there...f**kers did nt give me a job though so the bank account would nt pass. I may have angry tweeted them before now so it's possible I'm blocked...

Think I ve been to that cemetery
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Turfle wrote:
    Big Tone on the attack. Thus begins his love affair with the cobble.

Hope so. Nice spare parts depot for Kwiato/Terps later.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • jamie1012
    jamie1012 Posts: 171
    So.. the everyone waits for the GC guys if they crash or have a mechanical rule..is that in force today or not?
    Might as well neutralise the stage, if that was the case.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Todays Breton Seche rider looks significantly p1ssed off to have won the daily straw poll to be in the break
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Is that wee Sammy Dumoulin in the break?

I was not surprised to learn that he failed to finish the last wet P-R.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    dsoutar wrote:
    will these secteurs coming out mean a shorter stage or are they going the long way round them?

Reduced to 152.5km from 155.5
    Thank you :)
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    A bit heretical, I know, but I'm not sure having something like cobbles in a GT is right. I know bike handling is as much a skill as climbing etc, but having something which makes one stage such a lottery undermines things a bit.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Evening All,

Here's an excerpt from an article wot I wrote about Paris Roubaix:

"First run in 1896, the Paris-Roubaix cycle race is a relic of a long-dead time, an age of mustard gas, polio, and dentistry without anaesthetic. It’s a clown whose rictus mask slips to expose a vacant skull. It’s an adults only performance of sadomasochistic acts, a twisted show of freaks. It’s an ill-advised teen camping trip to an out-of-season forest cabin. It’s the pale figure at an unlocked window in the middle of the night. It’s the pubic hair in your soup du jour.
    Of course, what makes this ride like the devil is the roads on which it is ridden. Altogether, over 50km of the race is run on cobblestones. This pavé is terrible, a broken, twisted mass of smooth polished stone. Once, when newly laid, it must have been a level surface through the rutted, lumpen fields. Now, however, years of frost, rain and baking sun have splayed the stones, widening the joints into jarring, frantic clefts. Its a lunatic fairground ride, a medieval torture apparatus on which the riders are pulled taught, their ligaments cracking like whips as they lurch and grate. Their hands on the bars are knots in rope, chests heave, and mouths gape, sucking in the dank, pine forest air. This is a race for the heavy men, the roulers. Climbers cannot ride this race; the tiny riders quiver like butterflies in the killing jar."

Bring it on..!

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    ddraver wrote:
    Todays Breton Seche rider looks significantly p1ssed off to have won the daily straw poll to be in the break
    All white kit will be honking today !
  • above_the_cows
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    A bit heretical, I know, but I'm not sure having something like cobbles in a GT is right. I know bike handling is as much a skill as climbing etc, but having something which makes one stage such a lottery undermines things a bit.

It does strike me as something of a publicity stunt to be honest a bit like the Giro's crazy ascents and descents and the Vuelta's silly climbs. Of course it is made much worse by the weather.

This could come back to bite ASO on the bottom.
  • pottssteve
    Ah, Belgian weather! It makes Manchester look like the Cote d'Azure... :)
  • pottssteve
    Evening, Cows!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    pottssteve wrote:
    Evening All,

"First run in 1896, the Paris-Roubaix cycle race is a relic of a long-dead time, an age of mustard gas, polio, and dentistry without anaesthetic. It’s a clown whose rictus mask slips to expose a vacant skull. It’s an adults only performance of sadomasochistic acts, a twisted show of freaks. It’s an ill-advised teen camping trip to an out-of-season forest cabin. It’s the pale figure at an unlocked window in the middle of the night. It’s the pubic hair in your soup du jour.
    Of course, what makes this ride like the devil is the roads on which it is ridden. Altogether, over 50km of the race is run on cobblestones. This pavé is terrible, a broken, twisted mass of smooth polished stone. Once, when newly laid, it must have been a level surface through the rutted, lumpen fields. Now, however, years of frost, rain and baking sun have splayed the stones, widening the joints into jarring, frantic clefts. Its a lunatic fairground ride, a medieval torture apparatus on which the riders are pulled taught, their ligaments cracking like whips as they lurch and grate. Their hands on the bars are knots in rope, chests heave, and mouths gape, sucking in the dank, pine forest air. This is a race for the heavy men, the roulers. Climbers cannot ride this race; the tiny riders quiver like butterflies in the killing jar."

Bring it on..!

Steve

Far too many stupid adjectives in that lot.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

I agree, the winner should be decided by the top 10 favourites doing a 60 minute ramp test on an indoor stationary trainer. It's too much of a lottery letting them ride outside amongst 190 other cyclists for 3 weeks!

Seriously though I do get what you're saying, but imo you make your own luck, and the cobbles are part of France and have always been in the TdF.
    Mañana
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    styxd wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Evening All,

Bring it on..!

Steve

Where's your article about PR?
  • pottssteve
    styxd wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Evening All,

Bring it on..!

Steve

Thanks for the feedback! :)
  • Turfle
    styxd wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Evening All,

Bring it on..!

Steve

You got one into your post too.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    BsGhqrRIMAAacce.jpg

Baden Cooke ‏@badencooke · 49s
    Wet cobbles in the middle of the road at 50 m to go. Madness
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • above_the_cows
    styxd wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Evening All,

Bring it on..!

Steve

Thanks for that, when can we expect the announcement of your place on this year's Booker jury?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    pb21 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

I agree, the winner should be decided by the top 10 favourites doing a 60 minute ramp test on an indoor stationary trainer. It's too much of a lottery letting them ride outside amongst 190 other cyclists for 3 weeks!

Seriously though I do get what you're saying, but imo you make your own luck, and the cobbles are part of France and have always been in the TdF.

But that's just it, on wet muddy cobbles you can't make your own luck. Look, the Strade Bianchi stage of the 2010 Giro was probably one of the best GT stages I've ever seen, but even that didn't have such an element of random luck.

I don't think the ASO should be inviting opportunities for contenders to crash out. There's enough chance for things to wrong on normal stages without multiplying those chances unnecessarily.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • above_the_cows
    pottssteve wrote:
    Evening, Cows!

Oh shoot cows, that's what I forgot... hang on...

cowsandpoppiesfabric.jpg

There we go.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Lieuwe Westra (Astana), Tony Martin (Omega Pharma-QuickStep), Tony Gallopin (Lotto-Belisol), Marcus Burghardt (BMC), Rein Taaramae (Cofidis), Simon Clarke (Orica-GreenEdge), Mat Hayman (Orica-GreenEdge), Janier Acevedo (Garmin-Sharp), Samuel Dumoulin (Ag2r-La Mondiale

Brice Feillu and Visconti chasing inbetween
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pottssteve
    adr82 wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Evening All,

Bring it on..!

Steve

Where's your article about PR?

It was published on a website called bicyclingnewsasia.com, which has now, sadly, become defunct as the guy running it found a proper job. If you want the whole thing message me and I can send it. However, I'm reliably informed that there are way too many stupid adjectives, so take care.. :)
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    NetApp riders paying penance for missing the break.

Garmin have sent their Colombian up ahead. Interesting.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    styxd wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Evening All,

Bring it on..!

Steve

Thanks for that, when can we expect the announcement of your place on this year's Booker jury?

styxd has a point - after reading that I feel like I've chewed on a bit of pave
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Turfle
    josame wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Evening All,

Bring it on..!

Steve

styxd has a point - after reading that I feel like I've chewed on a bit of pave

I think that was the idea.