Tour de France Stage 5 Ypres-Arenberg *Spoiler*

Comments

• dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    "On a trouvé un parcours glissant, humide, mais pas trop boueux. Nous avons quand même pris la décision de supprimer du parcours deux secteurs: Mons-en-Pévèle, qui est très difficile, très bosselé, et celui qui porte le nom de Marc Madiot (à Beuvry-la-Forêt), car il se trouve sous les arbres et il y a énormément de feuilles qui le rendent très glissant", a ajouté Gouvenou, le directeur de course du Tour.

Those blasted leaves on the line again
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    edited July 2014
    I've just got back from being out on the bike and can report the sections of cobbles I done were bathed in sunshine. I am not in northern France however. (I'd like to clarify. I didn't go out for a 'play' on the cobbles, I just can't get too/from my house without going over them).

It's starting to look silly with the bad weather. The Strade Bianche roads were wet when the Giro used them but dirt hurts a bit less than cobbles when you fall.

I'm going to call neutralised stage. Although Michael Matthews has already gone home so maybe not.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    edited July 2014
    Turfle wrote:
    Mikkel Condé v2.0 ‏@mrconde 1m
    So. @NFLming reports that rumors have it that sector 8 and 9 will be cancelled too. If so, only 5 pave sections left. #TDF

Bunch sprint coming up.

There could be PTP carnage!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nke-0rm93Ssm_7W0PDuq49tPuRnFPZPtZd8GXK178GQ/pub
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My crude translation:

"We found the route slippery and wet but not too muddy. We have nevertheless taken the decision to remove the course from 2 stages: Mons en Pevele, which is very difficult and heavily cobbled, and the section by the name of Marc Madiot because it is beneath the trees and the road is covered in leaves which has made it incredibly slippery.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Turfle wrote:
    So. @NFLming reports that rumors have it that sector 8 and 9 will be cancelled too. If so, only 5 pave sections left. #TDF

Bunch sprint coming up.

Let's hope you don't get flak for ditching that meeting eh?

Strava is not Zen.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    So so far only stages 5 and 7 definitely out or have 8 and 9 been removed for definite. I hope it doesn't end up in a bunch sprint - we all know how dangerous they are someone might get hurt.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • above_the_cows
    calvjones wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

Bunch sprint coming up.

Let's hope you don't get flak for ditching that meeting eh?

Indeed. I'm now at home sat on my sofa with a nice cup of tea. I'm actually now quite glad with this weather that I didn't do what I was originally planning on doing and going to watch this stage on the pavé.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    @mcewenrobbie 4m
    I rode a wet Roubaix in '98. got dropped then rode carefully - crashed 3 times in a straight line
    Contador is the Greatest
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    @mcewenrobbie 4m
    I rode a wet Roubaix in '98. got dropped then rode carefully - crashed 3 times in a straight line

#amateur
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • above_the_cows
    I must say Greg Lemond seems to have improved today. He's actually saying something that makes some kind of sense.
  • jamie1012
    jamie1012 Posts: 171
    Museeuw is not impressed by the precautions.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I must say Greg Lemond seems to have improved today. He's actually saying something that makes some kind of sense.

Finally managed to catch him...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    wish I had headphones/sound :(
  • Anonymous
    Nice little reminder on the TT of the astana bikes. "I <3 RBX"
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Wonder if any GC guys will look to get riders into the break today. No point having all 8 around them on the cobbles.
  • ddraver
    He's explaining what a Tubular tyre is at the mo...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Renaat Schotte ‏@wielerman
    Quote @f_cancellara about the cancelled cobbles 'a mistake by the Tour organisation' #tdf #sporza

Underway - a lot of miserable looking riders...
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    ddraver wrote:

Surely they are head to toe in Castelli Gabba with rugby padding underneath?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited July 2014

13:41:16 BST
    Pre-stage favourite Fabian Cancellara is in fighting spirits, having talked to CN's Stephen Farrand at the start line: "We go, we race, warriors always race. There are two sectors less but t won't change anything. It's going to be a mess, a roulette, a race."

CN Ticker
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Soon to be matched by a lot of miserable looking viewers.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Good to see Nibali is riding shallow aluminium Ambrosio Excellence (or whatever they are called) rims - I don't care what tyres you stick on a wheel a deep section carbon is always going to be that bit stiffer (and brake worse) than a traditional wheel.

I understand that riders going for the win at Roubaix want the aero benefit but assuming Nibali wants to stay up and in the lead group rather than strike out for a solo win I think his choice makes sense. The little clip linked earlier says it's been a few years since we saw these wheels in Roubaix - not sure that's quite the case but it'll be interesting to see what the other contenders are using today.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited July 2014
    Good to see Nibali is riding shallow aluminium Ambrosio Excellence (or whatever they are called) rims - I don't care what tyres you stick on a wheel a deep section carbon is always going to be that bit stiffer (and brake worse) than a traditional wheel.
    'Nemesis' - strange name for a lifesaver.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ddraver
    coriordan wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I could try asking the clothing companies twitter accounts about kit again today...Never got an answer from Rapha...
    - @ddraver
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Macaloon wrote:

13:41:16 BST
    Pre-stage favourite Fabian Cancellara is in fighting spirits, having talked to CN's Stephen Farrand at the start line: "We go, we race, warriors always race. There are two sectors less but t won't change anything. It's going to be a mess, a roulette, a race."

CN Ticker

"We go, we race, warriors always race."

I get the feeling that quote is going to be thrown back at Fabian a few times in the coming years.
  • ddraver
    I understand that riders going for the win at Roubaix want the aero benefit but assuming Nibali wants to stay up and in the lead group rather than strike out for a solo win I think his choice makes sense. The little clip linked earlier says it's been a few years since we saw these wheels in Roubaix - not sure that's quite the case but it'll be interesting to see what the other contenders are using today.

Alternatively Vino had a root around his garage and those were the best he could find... ;)
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:
    Renaat Schotte ‏@wielerman
    Quote @f_cancellara about the cancelled cobbles 'a mistake by the Tour organisation' #tdf #sporza

Well he would say that wouldn't he? Commissaire Fabian that is not Renaat.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Funny comments from Fabian given how much he was crying about the weather last night.
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I could try asking the clothing companies twitter accounts about kit again today...Never got an answer from Rapha...

You only get an answer from Rapha if you let them have a look at your bank account and your facial hair first.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    So.. the everyone waits for the GC guys if they crash or have a mechanical rule..is that in force today or not?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • above_the_cows
    Turfle wrote:
    "We go, we race, warriors always race."

Unless I decree it unsafe and then I Commissaire Fab will neutralise the stage.