Tour de France Stage 5 Ypres-Arenberg *Spoiler*

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RideOnTime wrote:
    cobbles + rain + dodgy wrist = Skyfall :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well now that you mention it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeumyOzKqgI

Sorry looking for distraction from laughing at this Brazil v. Germany score.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    edited July 2014
    Ignore
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ...have you ever thought about riding on the track?
    I haven't thought about riding anywhere. I get people to hit hard plastic balls at me at 80 mph instead.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I've a funny feeling Garmin are going to do something tomorrow.

Are Garmin in the race this year? Maybe they should sign Zubeldia to increase their profile
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm so excited about this. I have a festival production rehearsal all day and night tomorrow, going to be up all night watching the stage.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited July 2014
    Fabian cancellara @f_cancellara · 19s

Hi @tomboonen1 and @ghincapie all the riders in @letour need some help for tomorrow.how does it ride on wet cobbles??

Juan Antonio Flecha ‏@ComounaFlecha · 2m
    @f_cancellara @tomboonen1 @ghincapie @letour HTFU!!!!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    RichN95 wrote:
    ...have you ever thought about riding on the track?
    I haven't thought about riding anywhere. I get people to hit hard plastic balls at me at 80 mph instead.

But that's enough about your weekends, we've got a bike race to discuss
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Hi @tomboonen1 and @ghincapie all the riders in @letour need some help for tomorrow.how does it ride on wet cobbles??

For more context that's with a picture of Boonen and Hincape in the 2001 Roubaix (the last wet one).

Shows that a generation of cobbled riders have, untill tomorrow, have missed riding proper cobbles in the wet.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    When the route was announced this was hailed as a guaranteed echelon (Honk!) stage. If the GC guys want to take fewer risks, they perhaps open the door to Kwiatkowski, Mollema even. Maybe Tony Martin has been bluffing about hating cobbles all these years?

Froome's potential fracture is a huge test of his bottle.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

For more context that's with a picture of Boonen and Hincape in the 2001 Roubaix (the last wet one).

Shows that a generation of cobbled riders have, untill tomorrow, have missed riding proper cobbles in the wet.

BsDP4E9CUAAzZ-3.jpg

Juan Antonio Flecha ‏@ComounaFlecha · 3m
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

Classic :lol:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    If anyone is whinging about cobbles then you should go moan about having mountains too.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    If anyone is whinging about cobbles then you should go moan about having mountains too.

Mountains belong in a GT. Cobbles don't. If for no other reason then being good at going over them and avoiding bad luck due to them has no place in the talent suitcase of a Grand Tour Champion. If they can do it, so much the better, but it just really isn't what is needed.

Fine if they are in them, you are going to race them, but its just a publicity exercise by the Tour organisers.

You want to divert Roubaix up the biggest mountain in the region? It is tantamount to doing that.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962

BsDP4E9CUAAzZ-3.jpg

Photo is from 2002, the last wet Roubaix, as I said earlier...
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah easy to pick holes when I'm typing on a iPhone :p
  • rick_chasey

Mountains belong in a GT. Cobbles don't.

Says who?

Not the owners of the biggest GT there is.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Yeah easy to pick holes when I'm typing on a iPhone :p

:D
  • rick_chasey
    "The fingers you have used to type a forum message are too fat"
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Froome confirmed as starting tomorrow's stage. Sky to surprise everyone and attack - can Kiriyenka ride cobbles?
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015

Mountains belong in a GT. Cobbles don't. If for no other reason then being good at going over them and avoiding bad luck due to them has no place in the talent suitcase of a Grand Tour Champion. If they can do it, so much the better, but it just really isn't what is needed.

Fine if they are in them, you are going to race them, but its just a publicity exercise by the Tour organisers.

You want to divert Roubaix up the biggest mountain in the region? It is tantamount to doing that.
    This is how a grand tour should be, in my opinion. They're too often about the big mountains. The best rider shouldn't be the best climber, it should be the best all rounder. The one who can contest in a sprinting group, can climb and can take on cobbled pave.

Many disagree with me when I say it, but it's my opinion. I think every national championship should contain cobbles, categorised climbs and a sprint finish too :)
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • jam1e wrote:
    Froome confirmed as starting tomorrow's stage. Sky to surprise everyone and attack - can Kiriyenka ride cobbles?

We'll find out tomorrow!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    jam1e wrote:
    Kiryienka can ride treacle.

(The FdJ team named the scooter they do motorpacing behind 'Vasil' after him)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be one of the best days for a long time. Can't wait.
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Talius wrote:
    I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be one of the best days for a long time. Can't wait.

I concur.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325

I tend to agree with this. Grand tours get boring when they only ever produce one narrative and only favour one type of rider. Why should Froome or Contador receive an armchair ride to Paris every year? I want to see great riders challenged with the things that they wouldn't necessarily choose to do, and I want to see different types of riders given the chance to rip up the established order of things - even if they can't ultimately take it.

The tour would be terrible if a Walkowiak won it every year. It would be even more terrible if they never again had a chance to.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited July 2014
    What is it with this site not being able to start a bloody decent race thread with at least a stage profile.

Baffling.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Talius wrote:

I'm off work tomorrow - Will be camped in front of the TV. Unsure whether to go with Eurosport or ITV4, probably stick with Kirbster.

Just listened to Cycling-podcast, Matt White (OGE DS) thinks it will be carnage which has got me really excited but at the same time I do not want to see the TDF ended for a GC contender on Stage 5.

To FF: What belongs in a GT is purely arbitrary - cobbles belong just as much as a TTT.

Nobody wants to see 2+ cobble stages in a GT but in my book if you can have a TTT you can have a cobble stage as well as mountain TT.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    By the way, anyone who thinks that cobbles are a lottery should look at the last few winners of Paris Roubaix. In the last ten editions we've had Boonen four times and Cancellara three times: some lottery!
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2014
    Forecast is for rain from 14:00 onwards, possibly heavy by the time the race reaches the final sections of pavé.

Conditions might well be more like a proper Paris–Roubaix than this year's actual one! #lottery
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Next year they should include the Tro Bro Leon route.