2015 Gear

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I'm not sure I Iust after one but I have to say as a piece of engineering design it's a stunning bike!

just that the Trek seems to all the same things but better?

And lets not forget how fast the 4 year old Cervelo S5 is.

The thing that specialized do very well is marketing (and make good looking shoes). Inviting a load of journalists to ride a bike in a skinsuit is a genius move :lol:

The whole '5 minutes' thing is pretty sneaky really because you don't get '5 minutes' from the frameset.. you get 5 minutes from an aero helmet, skinsuit, special shoes, fast wheels.. AND the new Venge frameset.
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    I'm wondering where they've put the Campagnolo EPS V2 battery? Must be in the downtube because there can't be much space in that new seat tube - especially on a wee frame like his. Or is a V3 battery on the way...

The battery is in the downtube of my Di2 SLX, suspect that's what they've down with the EPS one too.
    There is a blanked of opening under the BB, and it is clamped into place by a plate and couple of screws.
    If you look at the bottom of the downtube in the pic below you can just see the plate & screws.
    It's pretty neat.

Canyon%20Ultimate%202016%20%20-%2021.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Posted this before but there seems to be a lot more on it now and some excellent things at reasonable prices:

http://thehandmadecyclist.com/collections/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I'm not sure I Iust after one but I have to say as a piece of engineering design it's a stunning bike!

just that the Trek seems to all the same things but better?

And lets not forget how fast the 4 year old Cervelo S5 is.

The thing that specialized do very well is marketing (and make good looking shoes). Inviting a load of journalists to ride a bike in a skinsuit is a genius move :lol:

The whole '5 minutes' thing is pretty sneaky really because you don't get '5 minutes' from the frameset.. you get 5 minutes from an aero helmet, skinsuit, special shoes, fast wheels.. AND the new Venge frameset.

Accumulated Marginal Gains. realistically its heavier than both the S5 and TMR01, and by the sounds of it they've sorted the venges previous ride quality issues, weight doesn't matter as much as aero on a rolling course.... The comparison is against a typical non aero setup using a 4 year old design and clothing that would be worn on a club run. HMMM...
  • alihisgreat
    hrkf9h.jpg

Pretty interesting... Apparently the OLD Venge is 40 seconds faster than the tarmac and the NEW Venge is 55 seconds faster than the old one!

The chaps over on weightweenies seem to think that would make it ~30 seconds faster than the S5?!!

So depending on which way you look at it the guesstimated difference between the Venge Vias and the Cervelo S5 is either:

(a) around 75% of the difference between a standard frame (tarmac) and an aero frame (Venge)
    (b) less than the difference that lace-up shoes make
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_nqg54qE8dU1r4o0yso1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nqg54qE8dU1r4o0yso2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nqg54qE8dU1r4o0yso3_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    That's got me all sweaty
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What's with that odd wire floating to the right of the head tube??
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Also junction box not tidied up
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    What's with that odd wire floating to the right of the head tube??

Looks like the electronic wire - was quite neat until the brake cable goes to the TT and it presumably goes to a port on the downtube.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    FLippin' hideous paintwork. Can only assume it'll be replaced with normal colours.

Look_zpsbyocyzan.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    Oooh as far as that genre goes I really like it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    file.php?id=59058&mode=view

Berk shoes:
    1431073953131.jpg
    111653321061083147238737.jpg

111685441061608493852869.jpg

11535874_10207020468257292_8487973448521941982_n.jpg?oh=27abf0b0b272739c13f3cebfff16389c&oe=56211498

Specialized-S-Works-6-Shoe-600x303.png
    Contador is the Greatest
  • k-dog
    Oooh as far as that genre goes I really like it.

Oooh is right - but I think there's a subtle message that they want more like "Oooooooooooooooooh".
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That Look is stunning.
  • Rudd
    Rudd Posts: 264
    nice Serotta - are they back in business?
  • frenchfighter
    Actually to be fair it is a guy's bike rather than a new Serotta offering (who as you say are out of business). Not really 2015 gear but I really liked it!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • file.php?id=59058&mode=view

Berk shoes:
    1431073953131.jpg
    111653321061083147238737.jpg

111685441061608493852869.jpg

11535874_10207020468257292_8487973448521941982_n.jpg?oh=27abf0b0b272739c13f3cebfff16389c&oe=56211498

Specialized-S-Works-6-Shoe-600x303.png

So are these the ones Bertie has been sporting at the Giro or were they similar to L.A. doing the Rocket7s re-labelled as Nikes strategy?
  • alihisgreat
    The Look would be great without the Look logo on the downtube.

That serotta is stunning though, i've been drooling over it on weightweenies for a while. Probably my favourite bike colour?
  • frenchfighter
    CIUwjxyWoAASgWk.jpg
    CIUwjg6XAAACeLP.jpg
    CIUwkF5XAAEiSY7.jpg
    CIVjkvyWgAArLZK.jpg
    CIVpHHkWoAETcMi.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    edited June 2015
    Quintana has been using a new version of the Ultimate SLX. Subtle changes versus the current model.

CANYON_zpss1n5ydqr.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    Wow, super sharp photo.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FocusZing
    Specialized-Venge-ViAS-Tinkoff-Saxo-Peter-Sagan-01.jpg
    Specialized-Venge-ViAS-Tinkoff-Saxo-Peter-Sagan-11.jpg

Sagan's Venge, a few have been blinged green no doubt. Looks good in a large size
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Is it against UCI regs to use some other form of bidons? Those big cylinders must do away with a decent amount of the very marginal gains claimed for the new bike. I know they will dump them for the sharp end of the race - but even so
  • k-dog
    Is it against UCI regs to use some other form of bidons? Those big cylinders must do away with a decent amount of the very marginal gains claimed for the new bike. I know they will dump them for the sharp end of the race - but even so

Yes, as of January 2013 bottles were regulated - there was one from Cervelo, I think, which fitted into a space near the BB and was effectively there to smooth the air - banned pretty sharply.
  • FocusZing
    [img]http://road.cc/sites/default/files/imagecache/preview_500/images/Nairo Quintana’s%20new%20Canyon%20Ultimate%20CF%20SLX/Nairo%20Quintana%20Canyon%20Ultimate%20CF%20SLX%20%20-%209.jpg[/img]

road.cc/content/news/155274-2015-worldtour-bikes-nairo-quintana-s-new-canyon-ultimate-cf-slx-ready-tour-de

Quintana rides a 172.5 crank arm.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Yes, as of January 2013 bottles were regulated - there was one from Cervelo, I think, which fitted into a space near the BB and was effectively there to smooth the air - banned pretty sharply.

And I thought screw-on lids had been banned? From a safety point of view.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • k-dog
    Not unless that's changed more recently:

ARTICLE 1.3.024 BIS
    BOTTLES
    “Bottles shall not be integrated to the frame and may only be located on the down and seat tubes on the inside of the frame. The dimensions of the cross sections of a bottle used in competition must not exceed 10 cm or be less than 4 cm and their capacity must be a minimum of 400 ml and a maximum of 800 ml.”

The last few years, bottles were increasingly moving away from their original function of allowing riders to rehydrate towards an alternative use as aerodynamic elements which are integrated into the design of frames in order to improve riders' performances. It became essential to regulate the positioning and dimensions of bottles in order to avoid any deviations and to return bottles to their principal function.
    Article 1.3.024 bis has come into effect on 1 January 2013. Since that date, bottles are only allowed to be positioned on the down tube and seat tube. It is possible to use a bottle of each of these tubes, but the bottle cannot be positioned at the same time to the two tubes. Locating bottles behind the saddle, on the stem, or in any other position is then prohibited. Furthermore, it is not allowed to integrate bottles with frames, meaning that there must be a space between the bottle and the tube to which it is attached. Similarly to the rule on the wheel fairing, it should be possible to pass a rigid card (like a credit card) between the bottle and the tube to which it is attached.
    The rule specifies the bottle dimensions in order to avoid empty bottles being added solely for reasons of aerodynamics. The rule also improves the rider's ability to access and grasp the bottle. It is forbidden to place an empty bottle (without any liquid) on the bicycle.
  • frenchfighter
    119-659x440.jpg

And a new system
    38-659x440.jpg
    28-659x440.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

You'd assume that the frame was designed with bottles in mind; Cervelo did test a little while ago that suggested their bikes were more aero with bottles (standard shape) than without. The aero between the riders spinning legs is not straightforward.