Tour de France stage 1 Leeds-Harrogate *Spoiler*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    Froome looks uber serious. No smiles or waves to the crowds. Cav and Contador looking cheerful.

Cav seemed a bit grumpy / nervous in his pre-start interview on ES. I think he's getting fed up with the question about winning in his mum's home town.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Milton50 wrote:
    In every interview Kittel has been quite downbeat on his chances today. I can't work out whether he is just trying to deflect pressure away from himself or whether he is genuinely unsure if he can win today.

With the uphill at the finish it might suit Big John better.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    Crowds are mental. Well done Yorkshire.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • TMR
    Pross wrote:
    Froome looks uber serious. No smiles or waves to the crowds. Cav and Contador looking cheerful.

Cav seemed a bit grumpy / nervous in his pre-start interview on ES. I think he's getting fed up with the question about winning in his mum's home town.

He is a miserable sod sometimes. You can tell from the look on his face whether he is going to say anything worth listening to.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    Thank God for ITV4 (words I never thought I'd say). LeMond on ES was painful viewing, it's like he isn't a natural English speaker and is having to constantly think about the next word to pass his lips. Huge crowds, looks like being an interesting stage as no-one seems to know if it's one for the top sprinters or a Degenkolb / Sagan / Kristoff type finish.

I get the feeling that Cav will be there for the sprint finish today, whatever it takes to get there.

He's looking as slim as I've seen him, wondering if he has lost weight in the hope of having a better chance today.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Wey hey! It's started!

Lovely weather, better than here.

Here's a Cleveland Bay a Yorkshire breed of horse...

Cholderton-Issus-Cleveland-Bay-Stallion-1024x822.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • towser44
    towser44 Posts: 21
    Massively excited to see this tomorrow now, the crowds are unbelievable watching on TV
  • Pross
    TMR wrote:
    Pross wrote:

He is a miserable sod sometimes. You can tell from the look on his face whether he is going to say anything worth listening to.

He looked quite happy but then got arsey over a question about it being D-Day for him (it's just a race,people died on D-Day) and then effectively said he was fed up with the home town question. Commentators made me laugh as they said how relaxed he looked, I thought he seemed pretty nervous / excited and just wanted to get going.
  • TMR
    I saw an interview he did with Ned this morning. I felt sorry for Ned actually, like pulling teeth.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Another ad break.

I hope Cav isnt wearing black shoes and the black I glimpsed are overshoes and temporary. The Tour where he wore black shoes and helmet...all the photos look awful so had to crop the bottom.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    Wey hey! It's started!

Lovely weather, better than here.

Here's a Cleveland Bay a Yorkshire breed of horse...

Cholderton-Issus-Cleveland-Bay-Stallion-1024x822.jpg

Cheers :-)

xx
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • frenchfighter
    ^^fair comment from Cav. Im sure he means it to - he has a special helmet for help the heros. Would post a pic but am on my phone.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    Is Froome going to crash in the neutral zone?
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Another ad break..

I'm guessing they are getting the adverts out of the way as much as possible before the racing proper starts. They wouldn't want to miss the initial break
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    I'd rather they toss in a few more ad breaks during the neutral zone if it means we stay more ad free later.

Of course we'll probably just get ads nonstop =D
  • above_the_cows
    Anyone posted a pic of Cav's special new bike yet?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Of course you do all know that when they get to Harewood House they are going to stop for a while.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TMR
    ^^fair comment from Cav. Im sure he means it to - he has a special helmet for help the heros. Would post a pic but am on my phone.

I have posted it already buddy. In the main TdF thread.
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2014
    Ah yes of course.
    Anyone posted a pic of Cav's special new bike yet?

FZ did on the Gear Thread.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross

Yeah, I understand the point. I hate phrases like 'we went to war out there' used in sport but the D-Day term just means the day on which something starts, 6 June 1944 is just the most famous example.
  • TMR
    RichN95 wrote:
    Of course you do all know that when they get to Harewood House they are going to stop for a while.

They have to say hello to George, who will be wearing OPQS kit hopefully! :)
  • TMR
    Oh cool. Harry is there too.
  • frenchfighter
    Oh look royals in a stately home to salute the proles. How kind. After you can have a state funded helicopter take you to your state funded nine bedroom house.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Time to wheel out my incredibly obscure bit of cycling trivia.

Prince William proposed to Kate in a hut in Kenya which is part owned by Chris Froome and his brothers.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:

For a pot of tea and a plate of scones?

I for one will be pleased, I need to unload the dishwasher and washing machine.

I must say Kate could have worn a yellow dress.
  • frenchfighter
    Interesting. So much for kimmage and Froome's incredibly tough childhood.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Oh look royals in a stately home to salute the proles. How kind. After you can have a state funded helicopter take you to your state funded nine bedroom house.

Vive la Republique!
  • above_the_cows
    Interesting. So much for kimmage and Froome's incredibly tough childhood.

He has made a bit of money since and it is only part owned by the Froome brothers, apparently they just own the door knobs.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    edited July 2014
    BrsbvyVCUAAnQUC.jpg
    BrxHfwzIgAAOmz7.jpg

Great move to get David Millar on the commentary, he adds current knowledge. Imlach, Boardman, Ned always good.

Brilliant to see good weather and large crowds.
  • frenchfighter
    I am glad the fans and locals have nice weather.
    Contador is the Greatest