Tour de France stage 1 Leeds-Harrogate *Spoiler*

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    arran77 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    My dad's a GP and is stumped by "separated shoulder" can anyone provide a translation into medical speak?

Apparently it's ligament damage of varying degrees. My mother had one recently and I didn't know what the hell she was on about. "Separated" was the term the casualty people used. You damage the ligaments in the shoulder that attach the bones together. It looks like this...

disjonction_1_rxpreop.jpg

Looks nasty.

I think it doesn't have to be as extreme as that, but yeah, not nice.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    Official statement:

http://www.omegapharma-quickstep.com/en ... pdate/1826

Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Cycling Team confirms that Mark Cavendish underwent further examination on his right shoulder after today's crash.

The imaging underlined ligament ruptures with an AC-joint dislocation, which causes him a lot of pain. A final decision on his participation in tomorrow's stage will be taken tomorrow morning.

"I'm gutted about the crash today" Cavendish said. "It was my fault. I'll personally apologise to Simon Gerrans as soon as I get the chance. In reality, I tried to find a gap that wasn't really there .I wanted to win today, I felt really strong and in a great position to contest the sprint thanks to the unbelievable efforts of my team. Sorry to all the fans that came out to support - it was truly incredible."

Read more at http://www.omegapharma-quickstep.com/en ... 3tBsPgS.99
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    All of you who were out there did us proud today. BBC was staggered by the crowds even at the viewing points. The Tour came to Yorkshire and Yorkshire came out for the tour. Well done. Plus a big Jens breakaway - bonus
    M.Rushton
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Nice to hear Cav admitted the error was his, he's not so bad after all.
  • gsvbagpuss
    gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
    What are the thoughts on OPQS tactics? I assume it was deliberate to go that early to help Cav over the climbs but yet again Giant come late and perfectly timed.

Loved the Spartacus attack - nothing quite like it.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Seems incredibly positive to wait until tomorrow morning to decide if he starts!

PL: 'Yeah Cavendish you've got ligament ruptures with an AC-joint dislocation and I'm sure it really hurts, but if you get an early night and all being well you could start tomorrow'
    Mañana
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Very cool interview with Gerrans on the ITV highlights. He gets amazing stick for such a likeable guy.

Imlach: "...and congrats to the Britisih public who turned in one of the great spectating performances in Tour history." :D
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Even if he managed to get to the end of the stage, how the hell do you sprint having to use your upper body?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'll put this out there.

He won't start.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    FocusZing wrote:
    Even if he managed to get to the end of the stage, how the hell do you sprint having to use your upper body?

He will be thinking about Paris.

G rode the whole tour with a broken hip or something last year didn't he?
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    GSVBagpuss wrote:
    What are the thoughts on OPQS tactics? I assume it was deliberate to go that early to help Cav over the climbs but yet again Giant come late and perfectly timed.

Not sure if it was planned to go that early, thought it looked like lotto had the OPQS train pinned in up until that point and that was the first time they left a gap on the left so they decided to move up through the gap rather than get boxed again, and once they were through they had no choice but to ride.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    I separated my shoulder (AC and clavicle) in a snowboarding accident back in the late 90's.

He won't be riding a bike tomorrow, next week and possibly not till nearer the end of the season
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Yip, he's fooked. A separated AC can be harder to fix than broken clavicle. I wouldn't be surprised if he needs an op to reattach ligaments or fit a bionic elbow.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    A lot of it depends on how extensive the ligament damage is but I would be surprised if he starts tomorrow.

:cry:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'll put this out there.

He won't start.

Such negativity, lets just wait till tomorrow morning, he might be fine by then.
    Mañana
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    edited July 2014
    A lot of it depends on how extensive the ligament damage is but I would be surprised if he starts tomorrow.

:cry:
    Would make my year if Cav could continue.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    What was the extent of Gerrans injuries?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    JackPozzi wrote:
    GSVBagpuss wrote:

Not sure if it was planned to go that early, thought it looked like lotto had the OPQS train pinned in up until that point and that was the first time they left a gap on the left so they decided to move up through the gap rather than get boxed again, and once they were through they had no choice but to ride.

OPQS took to the front with 4km to go and had 8 riders including Cav. With that many riders and one of them being Tony Martin it's certainly not too early to take it up.

Good of Cav to admit to it being his fault, he got desperate and made a move he had no right to do. If Gerrans had drifted over it was very gradual.
  • iainf72
    Scores on the doors for the stage.

4/10.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'll put this out there.

He won't start.

If he does he wont finish the tour
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • hammerite
    iainf72 wrote:

4/10.

The novelty and spectacle were better than the racing, although the last 5k was pretty good (and the 2up sprint for the first mountain points).
  • goonz
    Personally think OPQS should not have gone so early. Giant like to leave things late and are getting very good results form doing so.
  • goonz
    hammerite wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

4/10.

The novelty and spectacle were better than the racing, although the last 5k was pretty good (and the 2up sprint for the first mountain points).

Tomorrows should be a belter...
  • iainf72
    goonz wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

4/10.

Tomorrows should be a belter...

Agreed. Nice crowds and what not today (although to achieve the estimates they're talking about you would've needed it 5 deep for the entire route, on both side of the road)
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    iainf72 wrote:

4/10.

Without the crash it would have been about 2.5 (Jens/Crowds/Canc attack 0.5).

If this exact parcours would have been in France it would have been a day to catch the highlights.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    edited July 2014
    Bry2eBXCEAEec3V.jpg
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    edited July 2014
    hammerite wrote:
    JackPozzi wrote:
    GSVBagpuss wrote:

OPQS took to the front with 4km to go and had 8 riders including Cav. With that many riders and one of them being Tony Martin it's certainly not too early to take it up.

Good of Cav to admit to it being his fault, he got desperate and made a move he had no right to do. If Gerrans had drifted over it was very gradual.

I'd agree that 8 riders should be enough to go 4km but once they were on the front the 2nd rider was signalling to the lead rider to slow down, seemed to me they would have preferred to have gone later so the riders at the front of the train were having to do longer, slower turns than they had planned.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 721
    arran77 wrote:
    What was the extent of Gerrans injuries?

Cuts and bruises apparently.

“I’m going to be pretty sore tomorrow,” Gerrans said. “I’ve lost quite a bit of skin off my back and hips and stuff. But the main thing is that nothing is broken and I can start tomorrow.”
    Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/racing/t ... qyFplw2.99
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    One amusing moment earlier whilst waiting for the peloton to come - a Belkin team car ahead of the race suddenly started tooting its horn, flashing lights and the passenger was waving out of the window like a lunatic. They were no more than five metres away from the group of riders they were trying to catch the attention of when it dawned on the Belkin personnel that Selby cycling club have a similar colour scheme for their jerseys... The look of horror and mortification as the terrible truth dawned was perfect.
  • hammerite
    JackPozzi wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    JackPozzi wrote:
    GSVBagpuss wrote:

I'd agree that 8 riders should be enough to go 4km but once they were on the front the 2nd rider was signalling to the lead rider to slow down, seemed to me they would have preferred to have gone later so the riders at the front of the train were having to do longer, slower turns than they had planned.

Possibly. I read that as a keep it steady now we have the position and we'll push harder on/after the climb.