Tour de Suisse 2014 *spoilers*

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Rui Costa takes the stage and the overall. Hassle with his chain cost Frank with 200 to go but he gets 3rd on the stage 2nd overall. Great result for IAM ahead of their TdF wildcard entry.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited June 2014
    Tour de Rui Costa. Congratulations.

x610-11.jpg
    10164295344_fb3f8fc2d6_o_zpsddfac97e.jpg

This race needs a major shake-up to make it interesting again.

Great effort Martin.
    201406201119407840201_zps7a2fd51d.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Well done (again) Rui Costa.
    Harsh on Big Tone. If OPQS had just brought one climber along I think he'd have won it.
    Enjoyable race.
  • frenchfighter
    Fromolo 7th overall in GC.

Costa owes a lot to Wyss' major turn.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RonB
    Special mention for Marcel Wyss. It was a great effort from him to pace Mathias Frank up the last climb.

Edit - beaten to it ^^^ :D
  • Turfle
    Yep, monster ride from Wyss. Shame that Belkin and IAM didn't quite get the reward for their terrific tactics (not that podium places are to be sniffed at).
  • RonB
    FWIW, IAM Cycling are ahead of Europcar in the PCS team rankings.

I know, but it's more interesting than BEL vs. RUS :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    This race needs a major shake-up to make it interesting again.

It's only a few years since people on here were saying it had become more interesting that the Dauphine.
  • frenchfighter
    Well yes indeed and exactly. These races change a lot but should stick to what works.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    I thought the team tactics were very interesting, today.
    More believable than long range individual efforts.

It was never going to be another Dauphine. Such races are rare.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • It's too close to the Dauphine. It also happened to follow IMO the best race so far this year. I think Evans could call it a day and the end of this season.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Martin rode a good race and did well to hang on in the queen stage.

Pleased for Costa, still needs to sort out those shorts though!
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Race with Sky's A team, 80+ pages.
    Race without Sky's A team, 21 pages.

Sign of the times
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487

Sign of the times

Race with a packed field, great parcours, and killer racing from the start to the finish, 80+pages
    Race that is almost a parade till the final day. 21pages.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574

Sign of the times

Race threads with British riders or a Sky team that do well get more pages. That's quite obvious since majority of the members in here are British..

That said, this race was pathetically awful and was never going to be discussed like, for example, Dauphine was.
  • Turfle
    You're all mental. It was a good race.

We had a breakaway just hold on, we had a terrific uphill finish win by Sagan, the Trentin stage was a good one even if the finish straight was a bit narrow, the second TT was fun and close, then two dramatic attacking days in the mountains with the GC decided on the final climb.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross

Sign of the times

I didn't watch it so can't comment too much but I think the Dauphine was an unusually good race and had all the GC contenders for the Tour battling it out. Whilst I like Rui Costa the fact he won this race again suggests that the amount of genuine GT contenders taking part has dropped off a cliff in the last 3 years of so. From reading this thread it sounds like the last couple of stages were decent but the first few sounded dire in comparison to the Dauphine. That said I'm fed up of the pro / anti Sky / Froome / Wiggins arguments on here (even though I know I keep getting dragged into commenting on them myself) and so haven't been bothering with the forum much for the last couple of weeks. I hate this time of year on cycling forums - this must be how really dedicated tennis fans feel at Wimbledon time with Murray Mania etc.!!
  • takethehighroad
    To be honest I wasn't suggesting it was a good or a bad thing really, just saying it's a sign of the times. I remember a time before Sky, and it was a much simpler time.

To carry on your analogy, I feel like my favourite band's headlining Glastonbury when I saw them in a pub when they'd just started. Cycling's much more popular now, and that brings certain (good and bad) things with it.

Ho hum
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    To be honest I wasn't suggesting it was a good or a bad thing really, just saying it's a sign of the times. I remember a time before Sky, and it was a much simpler time.

To carry on your analogy, I feel like my favourite band's headlining Glastonbury when I saw them in a pub when they'd just started. Cycling's much more popular now, and that brings certain (good and bad) things with it.

Ho hum

Another way of looking at it is that for many of the countless thousands of new(ish) fans of British cycling, the inception and subsequent success of Sky has made things very simple.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    I hate this time of year on cycling forums
    Well, if you want this forum to consist of a handful of people with five-figure post counts talking in circles then keep up that attitude. Otherwise sort yourself out and try to be a bit more welcoming.

I have participated on a variety of forums, and on none have I felt as unwelcome as here. Between the general tone of bigotry – seemingly condoned by the forum grandees – and the condescending sneers from people like you, it’s no wonder this forum hasn’t grown in line with English-speaking interest in cycling.

Do you really want to exclude newcomers, or can you just not see that your attitude has that consequence? Genuine question.

What are you talking about? Point to a post where I have 'sneered' at you (or anyone else for that matter)? This time of year brings out a few people who have one of two agendas:- 1) Doping 2) Team Sky (either with gushing praise or irrational hatred) and in most cases they then disappear again between August and June. I think most people on here are happy to talk about racing and have a bit of debate. Watch the spoiler threads during the race and I can guarantee that some of them will descend into chaos on one of the above two topics. You only have to look at the amount of Sky / Froome / Wiggins topics on here at the moment. It's not so bad when it is contained as it's relatively easy to ignore but when the race discussions get over-whelmed it makes taking part in discussions far less enjoyable.
  • frenchfighter
    8XuDGP.gif
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Turfle wrote:

We had a breakaway just hold on, we had a terrific uphill finish win by Sagan, the Trentin stage was a good one even if the finish straight was a bit narrow, the second TT was fun and close, then two dramatic attacking days in the mountains with the GC decided on the final climb.

I agree with this. Although I also thought that Paris-Nice was a good race this year which is something of a controversial opinion
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Pross wrote:
    I hate this time of year on cycling forums
    Well, if you want this forum to consist of a handful of people with five-figure post counts talking in circles then keep up that attitude. Otherwise sort yourself out and try to be a bit more welcoming.

I have participated on a variety of forums, and on none have I felt as unwelcome as here. Between the general tone of bigotry – seemingly condoned by the forum grandees – and the condescending sneers from people like you, it’s no wonder this forum hasn’t grown in line with English-speaking interest in cycling.

Do you really want to exclude newcomers, or can you just not see that your attitude has that consequence? Genuine question.

On the whole this forum is very welcoming - especially in comparison with others. If you start a new thread to ask a very simple question e.g. why Cavendish can't win the yellow jersey, you will get a lot of positive responses explaining things - that's very unusual for an internet forum as a response such as "did you see the search box?" might be more likely.

However, like most forums, there are subjects that divide opinions
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I've been on here a while now, I found it quite welcoming from the start (Hung around in the MTB bit for a few years). If you come on here with the intention of winding people up or being a general douche it never goes down well though (Not saying that's what these guys are doing at all but there have been a few trolls (Remember "The truth"))
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092

Don't remember Aurelio then? He could turn a Geology/horses/local cuisine comment into an Armstrong doping discussion :lol:(although to be fair he turned out to be right!)

More interest = more people = more people with an agenda to argue (trolls) and it only takes a couple to cause discussion carnage
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Turfle wrote:

I agree with this but it was the riders who made it a good race.
    However this is Switzerland (Suisse) which is known as a mountain country and all we saw was the Furkapass ridden at Tempo on Stage 2.
    Where were the mountain passes that have made the Tour du Suisse the 4th main race on the "European" calender.
    Previous examples like the Nufenenpass, Albulapass and others in the East of Switzerland but Saas-Fee did make a change. (but not a Queen Stage)
    With the ASO in charge of the Dauphine, then this has become the 4th main race.
    Maybe to do with the UCI having shortened the Suisse Tour.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Ho hum

Another way of looking at it is that for many of the countless thousands of new(ish) fans of British cycling, the inception and subsequent success of Sky has made things very simple.

Well, It seems simple enough. A sucessfull British run team is doing well in a sport so more people, in Britain, follow that sport.
    If it gets more people cycling and also spectating, rather than sitting in there cars complaining about a road race holding up there trip to the shops, surely it is a good thing? Regardless of your affinities. :D
  • takethehighroad
    Coach H wrote:

Don't remember Aurelio then? He could turn a Geology/horses/local cuisine comment into an Armstrong doping discussion :lol:(although to be fair he turned out to be right!)

More interest = more people = more people with an agenda to argue (trolls) and it only takes a couple to cause discussion carnage

Who came first, Aurelio or Biking Bernie? Damn, that boy loved a graph...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Who came first, Aurelio or Biking Bernie? Damn, that boy loved a graph...
    He was Aurelio first. He later popped up at the Asylum as Robert21, but I think they were a bit extreme for him.
    Twitter: @RichN95