Anyone here visit Gumball3000 in UK ?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    I will give you another similar anecdote.

A farmer I know went into a Mercedes dealership wearing his work clothes and was treated rudely.

He left with the cash that he had on him and paid for a new 7 series BMW in full that afternoon.

Appearances do count rightly or wrongly.
    Making assumptions can cost you dearly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Imposter wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    I have never stated that I like this approach, I have only stated that it exists.
    I have never condoned this action nor have I said someone deserves a better service based on perceived wealth. Why anyone is commenting as if that were the case is yet further proof of anterior motives within replies to this thread.

err....
    VTech wrote:
    We go to Vegas every year for a convention, we usually get a Limo from the airport as its only $50 until I was told of a little trick. I now get a Ferrari waiting for me at McCarran airport upon arrival, it costs me around $360 for the day and I am yet to go and not get an upgrade valued far greater than the cost of the hire.

So you do it - but you don't condone it. I can only deduce that someone is obviously forcing you do do it. It must be awful for you, to have to do things which you personally don't condone....

I do what I do to get the best, do you honestly think little of me for that ?

People can argue till the cows come home, it won't change the fact that in general, people are treated according to perception, tats a fact.
    I am not saying politeness won't get you places, I agree, which is why I am both polite and drive a Farrari, Lamborghini, Porsche etc etc etc

I try to cover as many angles as possible.
    Living MY dream.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    VTech wrote:
    People can argue till the cows come home, it won't change the fact that in general, people are treated according to perception, tats a fact.

Freudian slip...
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,231
    To be honest I can appreciate what VTech says and in most things he's actually right. Most people won't appreciate the subtlties money brings but it does get you into places and associated with things us normos wouldn't.

Yes you might not want to be associated with such things but thats your choice, just accept that another level of, how shall I put it, poshness? exists all around you. You just cant get into it to see it.

I run a manufacturing business, am I rich? Far from it because we make things... Not many companies in the UK do that any more.

Do I see what happens to those with a lot of money? Yes.

Would I take a slice if I had a bigger bank balance? Hell yes.

In this current economical climate likely to get that slice? Not at the moment.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Making assumptions can cost you dearly.

Assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I think VTech is constantly high on quaaludes ;)
  • junglist_matty
    VTech wrote:
    In my experience, and that of others I would have to call you on that.
    It is a fact that in "general" (and I have made that point throughout) you get treated better.

We go to Vegas every year for a convention, we usually get a Limo from the airport as its only $50 until I was told of a little trick. I now get a Ferrari waiting for me at McCarran airport upon arrival, it costs me around $360 for the day and I am yet to go and not get an upgrade valued far greater than the cost of the hire.

I flew back from Dubai last week and got the car taken for me to the start of the Gumball, I arrived at the hotel and they allowed the car to be parked directly outside the hotel and I was put in a suite. Now this is only a small example but if you are honestly saying that the type of clientele you get bears no reference to how they are treated then your a one-off. People look after those that will bring them the most, thats the way business works and your, like any other for of front facing business is no different.

In general?
    In how many hotels does the receptionist get time to look out the window at fancy cars arriving, watch you get out of one, watch the bellhop drive park it, then make the link between checking you in and giving you a free upgrade because they saw you arrive in a fancy car? In general most (if not all) the hotels I've been to, the receptionist would struggle to see the parking area for the hotel and wouldn't have a clue what car you turned up in. Unless of course the bellhop got really excited and phoned the receptionist to tell them you deserve an upgrade because you had a nice car :roll:

It's more likely to be the case that as a repeat customer (and probably holder of *insert hotel chain here* loyalty card) they treat you well or give you a free upgrade if there is one available in an effort to get you to re-visit other hotels the *insert hotel chain here* may own across the world.

As someone who turned up in an airport taxi to stay in "The Fairmont" San Francisco for the second time in under a year (and a member of the Fairmont presidents club - for which I got annual membership given after my first stay at the hotel) I got a free upgrade from a standard double to a deluxe room on the 17th floor; go figure!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    When I was a kid we went for a family meal to a posh restaurant in London. David Frost walked in just in front of us, the maître d' had just started making a bit of a fuss of him when he saw my Dad walk in. He dropped David Frost and got one of the waiters to take him to a table whilst he showed us to a better table, asking my father how he was as we went. All the while a confused David Frost looking on wondering who we were.
    We had arrived in an old left hand drive Opel Kadett so I don't think the car impressed him. Now I was impressed that my Dad was so important that this man had dropped somebody famous and knew my old man by name. It turned out the old fella used to take customers there a lot when he was sales director of a large publishing firm, now that he was self employed he hadn't been for a couple of years. Naturally enough the maître d' was looking after his best interests, which was repeat business from a loyal customer.
    Or maybe it was the car.
  • junglist_matty
    What would happen if I turned up in this?

untitledohek.png
  • veronese68
    Depends where you go, hopefully the same as if you turned up in one of these:
    2008aug01-489277d734078.jpg
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    What would happen if I turned up in this?

untitledohek.png

Is that a replica?
  • arran77

untitledohek.png

I know which of these two I think is cooler, guess I'll always get shite service in a restaurant then :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • junglist_matty
    marcusj wrote:
    Is that a replica?

Of course not ;)
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    arran77 wrote:

untitledohek.png

I know which of these two I think is cooler, guess I'll always get shite service in a restaurant then :lol:

c'mon Arran, you know the service is only so good in macdonalds anyway :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • arran77
    arran77 wrote:

untitledohek.png

c'mon Arran, you know the service is only so good in macdonalds anyway :)

True but anyway that orange thing would be far too low to go through the drive through :lol:

seanoconn
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Can you wind down the window in the Lamborghini? it may just be the way the picture is taken, but it looks as if the glass wouldn't fit into the door. So the light blue one is the vehicle of choice for the drive through in Maccas. On the other hand, the best choice would be a left-hand drive car so that your passenger can sort out the order, payment, spilling chips in their lap etc. and leave you free to get on with the driving. On yet another hand, why not just park at Maccas, go in and sit down with a burger? It's not a five star restaurant, but it beats the front of any car as a place to eat a burger. In fact, I prefer fish and chips to burgers. I'd borrow the Lamborghini, drive to the coast and get some decent fish and chips.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • VTech
    Driving a replica car, similar to that or wearing a replica watch is odd, the only fool being the one wearing it.

Im yet to have anyone argue against what I have written and to disprove what I am saying.
    Yes, I've read the "the receptionist wouldn't see the car" but thats a comment made by someone who hasn't stopped at a high end hotel (no offence meant, just the way it is) as the bellhop of a decent place will be the one informing reception of the clients arrival.

Again, I'm not saying its fair, but it is the way life is.

Am I the only one here who has heard of the saying money goes to money ?
    Living MY dream.
  • bianchimoon
    Giraffoto wrote:
    On yet another hand, why not just park at Maccas, go in and sit down with a burger? It's not a five star restaurant, but it beats the front of any car as a place to eat a burger.
    wonder if you'd get an upgrade to 'large' if you turned up in the plastic car?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • homers_double
    If you backtrack you'll see I'm in agreement and yes, that phrase rings true very often.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • bianchimoon
    VTech wrote:

Am I the only one here who has heard of the saying money goes to money ?

If I change my name to Mr Money will that work?
  • homers_double
    I can assure you it won't, my name is Rich.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • junglist_matty
    VTech wrote:
    Yes, I've read the "the receptionist wouldn't see the car" but thats a comment made by someone who hasn't stopped at a high end hotel (no offence meant, just the way it is) as the bellhop of a decent place will be the one informing reception of the clients arrival.

http://www.fairmont.com/san-francisco/

My mistake, I didn't realise you meant low end :roll:
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    marcusj wrote:
    Is that a replica?

Of course not ;)

Can you still get kit cars and replicas? I thought they'd all be regulated out of existence - I'll be delighted to be proved wrong!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    VTech wrote:
    This is the kind that would take my eye.
    Gumball_3000_Promo_Girl_by_3vil0wl.jpg

She makes a Satsuma look pale.
    tick - tick - tick
  • junglist_matty
    Giraffoto wrote:
    marcusj wrote:
    Is that a replica?

Of course not ;)

Can you still get kit cars and replicas? I thought they'd all be regulated out of existence - I'll be delighted to be proved wrong!

Don't have a clue mate, just typed replica lambo in google and that atrocious thing came up!
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:

http://www.fairmont.com/san-francisco/

My mistake, I didn't realise you meant low end :roll:

Im fully aware of this hotel, they comped me a room upgrade a while back when I collected a bottle of wine I purchased in Calistoga. I was driving a Lambo then :mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • junglist_matty
    Was looking for ridiculous car photos and stumbled across this and just had to post it!!!!!!!!

239005099_b770a14c92.jpg

WTF!? :?
  • veronese68
    metronome wrote:
    She makes a Satsuma look pale.
    But have you seen her Dad?
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I think VTech is constantly high on quaaludes ;)

Fairplay to him,i going to PM him for some as reading this forum of late,they are a must have...

proper punishment.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • VTech
    Im afraid Mandrax is not something I partake in, Isn't cocaine the chosen drug these days ?
    Living MY dream.
This discussion has been closed.