Anyone here visit Gumball3000 in UK ?

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    What happens at this event (to state the obvious, I didn't visit it) ? A bunch of people park their shiny sports cars in the town centre? Apart from the "shiny" and "sports" aspects, that happens in Hemel Hempstead most Friday evenings :D
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Giraffoto wrote:
    What happens at this event (to state the obvious, I didn't visit it) ? A bunch of people park their shiny sports cars in the town centre? Apart from the "shiny" and "sports" aspects, that happens in Hemel Hempstead most Friday evenings :D

They also rev them a lot and flash their shiny teeth.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Round our way, if you drive anything nicer than a Golf GTi you're considered something of a w*&^%r, so not sure what the locals would make of this lot......

Round ours we consider anyone that drives a Golf GTI or less relatively poor, welcome to Surrey!
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Round our way, if you drive anything nicer than a Golf GTi you're considered something of a w*&^%r, so not sure what the locals would make of this lot......

Do you live where they filmed Deliverance ?
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    VTech wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    One of these days you're going to have to explain to me why you spelled 'VTech' incorrectly...

Spelling was spot-on my good man 8)

You do realise that you're named after a brand which produces children's developmental toys...
    pTRU1-5831307dt.jpg
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Grill wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    One of these days you're going to have to explain to me why you spelled 'VTech' incorrectly...

Spelling was spot-on my good man 8)

You do realise that you're named after a brand which produces children's developmental toys...
    pTRU1-5831307dt.jpg

And some of the most irritating toys at that :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    My name was a shorter version of a software company I used to own. I sold my stake in that company last December but the forum doesn't allow a name change. I had contemplated just opening a new account but due to issues at the time thought this would rile some who would use it as an excuse to blame me for trying to hide myself from the issues at the time.
    Sad I know, but true.
    Living MY dream.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Were you at cadencesport today VTech?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • VTech
    No, today was a horrid day spent between Stratford and Bewdley for me :(
    Living MY dream.
  • napoleond
    Roger! Someone was there with an Aventador. :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • VTech
    Mine is in Ibiza I'm afraid so deffo not me or mine :)
    Living MY dream.
  • napoleond
    Heh heh :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    VTech wrote:
    the fact we have decent cars is a product of the hard work AND risk taking needed to keep our beloved countries turning.
    Bring me a bucket........
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    pliptrot wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    the fact we have decent cars is a product of the hard work AND risk taking needed to keep our beloved countries turning.

I think the nation as a whole owes VTech a debt of gratitude. If the rest of us were as awesome as that, we would not be in such a mess. I would just like to publicly thank VTech for all that him and his ilk have done for the UK economy. Frankly, I think the rest of us need to pull our socks up.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this Gumball business is basically a rich mans version of this....

HKST51306withrapedsupra.jpg
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    I didn't realise Vtech was a fat bird....

I find him strangely attractive now. :oops:
  • VTech
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this Gumball business is basically a rich mans version of this....

Im not sure an advertisement with that picture would get my attention.

This is the kind that would take my eye.
    Gumball_3000_Promo_Girl_by_3vil0wl.jpg

As for the comments above by pliptrot and imposter, they can argue as much as they like but you don't get yourself a Bugatti, Lamborghini or Ferrari by sitting on your backside. Hard work is how I've purchased mine.
    And together with that hard work is employment, 600+ at peak for me so whichever way you want to argue, it IS people like me who make the country work. Without employers there are no employees.
    Living MY dream.
  • Imposter wrote:
    pliptrot wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I think the nation as a whole owes VTech a debt of gratitude. If the rest of us were as awesome as that, we would not be in such a mess. I would just like to publicly thank VTech for all that him and his ilk have done for the UK economy. Frankly, I think the rest of us need to pull our socks up.

:lol:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    VTech wrote:
    As for the comments above by pliptrot and imposter, they can argue as much as they like but you don't get yourself a Bugatti, Lamborghini or Ferrari by sitting on your backside. Hard work is how I've purchased mine.
    And together with that hard work is employment, 600+ at peak for me so whichever way you want to argue, it IS people like me who make the country work. Without employers there are no employees.

I don't doubt that you are hard working, have taken risks and employed people, but you must surely acknowledge that there are rich kids out there that have done sod all in their lives and simple spend their parents' limitless supplies of cash.

And it has to be said that starting a business having had an Eton education and all the contacts that that implies, together with cast-iron family cash behind you, is somewhat different to grafting your way up from nothing, with nothing.
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:

I don't doubt that you are hard working, have taken risks and employed people, but you must surely acknowledge that there are rich kids out there that have done sod all in their lives and simple spend their parents' limitless supplies of cash.

And it has to be said that starting a business having had an Eton education and all the contacts that that implies, together with cast-iron family cash behind you, is somewhat different to grafting your way up from nothing, with nothing.

You have absolutely no idea how true that is.

2 weeks ago I was working in Dubai.
    I tuned 2x Lamborghini, 1x Ferrari and 1x Dodge Viper and these were for 3 friends who use them as dune buggies in Sharjah !
    The cars expected lifetime will be less than a month !

I love cars, always have done and this used to bother me a lot but I have had to accustom myself to the belief that it isn't my money so I can't decide what to do with it although it still saddens me.
    Living MY dream.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125
    this

it saddens me when people with the opportunity to do so much do so little
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pliptrot
    VTech wrote:
    Hard work is how I've purchased mine.
    This is precisely the sort of comment that the self regarding often make. I assume from this that - in your world- anyone who isn't as rich as you is lazy. You've said as such on numerous occasions (when what you had written was in any way intelligible). I can confirm that many of the people who have really changed the modern world (scientists, researchers, those people behind the major advances which have made our lives so easy) did so on an ordinary salary. In terms you understand VTech, they drove Volkswagen Polos. These people you clearly disdain. Of course, in your world you get laid because you've got money and you are treated differently in restaurants according to the car you turn up in. A world most of us (including huge numbers of very talented and capable people who have made a difference) don't know; thank goodness. Michael Jackson did, of course.
  • VTech
    pliptrot wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Hard work is how I've purchased mine.
    This is precisely the sort of comment that the self regarding often make. I assume from this that - in your world- anyone who isn't as rich as you is lazy. You've said as such on numerous occasions (when what you had written was in any way intelligible). I can confirm that many of the people who have really changed the modern world (scientists, researchers, those people behind the major advances which have made our lives so easy) did so on an ordinary salary. In terms you understand VTech, they drove Volkswagen Polos. These people you clearly disdain. Of course, in your world you get laid because you've got money and you are treated differently in restaurants according to the car you turn up in. A world most of us (including huge numbers of very talented and capable people who have made a difference) don't know; thank goodness. Michael Jackson did, of course.

That's quite a childish reply. Would you really argue that someone turning up at an open fronted restaurant in a VW Polo would be treated the same as me turning up in a Bugatti Veyron ? I'm not saying it should be so but the fact is, it is.

I have also never suggested that I am better than anyone else who works. I have only ever said that I am better than someone who chooses not to work. I am definitely better than them.
    I have taken risks which has brought me rewards but that is life. I have never suggested I am any better than the average working guy, I've simply been more fortunate (in a business sense).

You have chosen to twist things to open a lie and in fact what you have done could be seen as cruel to some but to me I pity you. For no other reason than your time is so worthless that you had to dream this concept up, take the time to think it through and then type it up.
    Living MY dream.
  • Giraffoto

Well, someone answer the question: is it? If it's a bunch of people parking their shiny sports cars somewhere, how (apart from "sports" and possibly "shiny" - although the little blue peugeot seems to have a decent coat of paint) is it different? And are there events like this for Ford C-Max and S-Max owners? I'm getting jealous . . .
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • pliptrot
    VTech wrote:
    That's quite a childish reply.....take the time to think it through and then type it up

VTech; a word for you to look up: irony
  • Giraffoto
    VTech wrote:
    . . . someone turning up at an open fronted restaurant in a VW Polo would be treated the same as me turning up in a Bugatti Veyron ? . . .

I know what the words mean separately, but what is an "Open fronted restaurant"? Where do you go to find ones with plenty of parking spaces in front of them? And do they let you in if you turn up on foot, or in a taxi? Do they bring you an extra special wine list if you arrive in a Rolls Royce? Would they hand me four tins of special brew and refer me to a bus shelter instead? And above all, do you just park and admire each other's cars at the Gumball 3000 event? I still want that one answered - the website's cr@p.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Giraffoto wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    . . . someone turning up at an open fronted restaurant in a VW Polo would be treated the same as me turning up in a Bugatti Veyron ? . . .

I know what the words mean separately, but what is an "Open fronted restaurant"? Where do you go to find ones with plenty of parking spaces in front of them? And do they let you in if you turn up on foot, or in a taxi? Do they bring you an extra special wine list if you arrive in a Rolls Royce? Would they hand me four tins of special brew and refer me to a bus shelter instead? And above all, do you just park and admire each other's cars at the Gumball 3000 event? I still want that one answered - the website's cr@p.

I think he means drive thru
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Will he win people over, will this thread get locked like all the others?

Does Jorge Mario Bergoglio wear amusing headgear? :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    simonhead wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I think he means drive thru

I think VTech makes a very good point here, to be fair. I always get served quicker when I pull up to McDonalds' ordering window in my Bugatti than I do when I pull up in my Jag...
  • VTech
    The problem is, for many of you haters, you will never get the chance to understand the differences I'm talking about so quite rightly you can't get your head round it.

Im sorry about that.
    Living MY dream.
This discussion has been closed.