Froome on Wiggins and more

Comments

• tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    I used to hang out and party with a nice group of South Africans staying in West London. Had a brilliant time and they were really cool. 2 of the best years of my life.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,575
    TheBigBean wrote:

Ah... thanks BB :wink:

Worth noting that the South African accent is actually suprisingly varied. That song picks up on the accent of a minority.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    Cillian Kelly ‏@irishpeloton · 23m
    Only twice in the last 40 years have two former Tour winners ridden the Tour de France on the same team. Two pointedly different stories.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,779
    Is this like the off-season trivia? Contador / Armstrong is one.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    Only twice in the last 40 years have two former Tour winners ridden the Tour de France on the same team. Two pointedly different stories.
    I would say that 1998 is more relevant as Ullrich was the clear leader and Riis' s form had started to wane, while in 2009 Armstrong had been away as the champion and expected to pick up where he had left off
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    dish_dash wrote:
    I want to know about BradleyOnTheBusGate.

Didn't he keep leaving used capsules in the Nespresso machine on the bus... :wink:

They need Terry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww86iaucd2A

:D
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    South Africa, Kenya, it's all the same I guess.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,435
    Personally I'd put Wiggins in, as a protected rider. He's clearly their second best GT rider on palmares and form at the moment. If he works for Froome, then all is well. If he gains time early on then deal with that when it comes to it - if Froome has enough of his "own" riders about then it's not going to become an issue unless Brailsford himself changes the pecking order. And if the worst came to the worst and the team was split between two GC contenders they'd probably still win the race and dominate headlines for a couple of weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,435
    And just out of interest, does anyone remember what Froome said during the 2012 Tour? I seem to remember it as being the usual "I'm here to work for Brad" guff, all the way through, but I've got no references...

Paging RR...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dish_dash wrote:

Worth noting that the South African accent is actually suprisingly varied. That song picks up on the accent of a minority.

Yeah, 11 official languages, funny there would be different languages. It always amuses me how "south african" has become shorthand for white south african or afrikaaner. Mandela, Tutu, Steve Biko etc are South African too

[There's some decent comedy accents on the new Die Antwoord album for those who are interested]
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Personally I'd put Wiggins in, as a protected rider. He's clearly their second best GT rider on palmares and form at the moment. If he works for Froome, then all is well. If he gains time early on then deal with that when it comes to it - if Froome has enough of his "own" riders about then it's not going to become an issue unless Brailsford himself changes the pecking order. And if the worst came to the worst and the team was split between two GC contenders they'd probably still win the race and dominate headlines for a couple of weeks.

I think the bigger story is the team's failure to identify, recruit, then develop top talent. The stage race squad was broken on arrival at TdF2013 and hasn't been fixed yet. It didn't show up as a GC participant at the Giro.

Other than Wiggins confirming his 2009 performance, and Thomas' & Stannard's steady Classics improvement, it's hard to think of performers that didn't come as a surprise (Froome, JTL :D only joking, Swifty's MSR(?)), or seem to have reached their ceiling (Porte, Kennaugh, Henao 2013, Monster formerly known as Kiryienka).

Obviously they'll now go on to crush the Dauphine & Tour but if Kerrison's numbers can only compete for one GT a season, he might want recalibrating.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • iainf72
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    RichN95 wrote:
    I would say that 1998 is more relevant as Ullrich was the clear leader and Riis' s form had started to wane, while in 2009 Armstrong had been away as the champion and expected to pick up where he had left off

Delgado and Indurain both road the TdF for Banesto in 92' and 93'. Isn't that 4?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Delgado and Indurain both road the TdF for Banesto in 92' and 93'. Isn't that 4?
    It would appear so.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

It would appear so.

Oh FFS.

And this isn't the first time either.....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    iainf72 wrote:

"putting Wiggins in the Tour of Switzerland makes sense, because it is a race he can win, and its slightly later date gives him more time to recover from body-clock disruption after the Tour of California."

Beautiful euphemism.
  • Macaloon
    Elfed wrote:

There's some funny stuff in that. This is the best
    According to Italian media, Wiggins’ return under the Garmin-Sharp wings is another option as it is not a big secret that the former Tour de France winner and Jonathan Vaughters are close friends.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 482
    not sure if this is has been posted before, not sure when it is from..

great posing. i would love to see the next few frames one of which would surely be titled 'the flounce'
  • RichN95.
    Mooro wrote:
    not sure if this is has been posted before, not sure when it is from..
    2013 Tour of Oman
  • mooro
    thanks, and impressive. tell me, was it quicker/better use of google than me, or did you just know?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    So Sky are losing, Thomas, Wiggins and EBH?
  • RichN95.
    Mooro wrote:
    thanks, and impressive. tell me, was it quicker/better use of google than me, or did you just know?
    Google image search - it's a piece of cake. You can search for other instances of the image by using it's URL

Alternatively I could have done a head-to-head on CQ Ranking to reveal it's the only race they've done together in Rapha kit.
  • mooro
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mooro wrote:
    Google image search - it's a piece of cake. You can search for other instances of the image by using it's URL

Alternatively I could have done a head-to-head on CQ Ranking to reveal it's the only race they've done together in Rapha kit.

cool, and thanks I appreciate that.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    iainf72 wrote:
    No one done that picture of Porte in double denim with Cubans on yet?

Sorry been out on an impromptu departmental jolly, many wines have been consumed...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,068
    Can we all agree that winnig a chipper doesn't say much re form?

It was hardly tough competition.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    The Wiggins/Froome/TdF question is discussed in the latest The Cycling Podcast. I won't spoil it by revealing their opinions but, as ever, its worth listening to.
  • iainf72
    Mechanism wrote:
    The Wiggins/Froome/TdF question is discussed in the latest The Cycling Podcast. I won't spoil it by revealing their opinions but, as ever, its worth listening to.

Yes, excellent work.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Wiggins was back on the Manchester track yday, under the beady eye of Uncle Shane
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    iainf72 wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:

Yes, excellent work.

[namedropping] Met Richard Moore at his book launch last night [/namedropping] and he didn't have any off the record insights to give away. Said I'd have to listen to the podcast for their take on the Wiggins selection situation.

Without trying to spoil it too much, one thing I think they've called wrong is that Sky don't do 'Plan Bs'. In 2011 they put all their eggs in the Wiggins basket and when he crashed out they had no plan B although EBH salvaged the Tour for them. But that experience was key to Cavendish's selection in 2012. Basically they picked Cavendish as an insurance policy in case Wiggo crashed or burned.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
This discussion has been closed.