Froome on Wiggins and more

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

What Wiggins didnt give him a share of, was a slice of the $1m bonus he had written into his contract if he won the Tour. He gave Porte $40k, and Porte mentioned it to Froome.

Any truth in the rumour Porte spent some of it on a nice pair of Cuban heels so he might be seen at the bar?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,818
    Nothing wrong with a pair of Cubans.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    iainf72 wrote:

What Wiggins didnt give him a share of, was a slice of the $1m bonus he had written into his contract if he won the Tour. He gave Porte $40k, and Porte mentioned it to Froome.

Any truth in the rumour Porte spent some of it on a nice pair of Cuban heels so he might be seen at the bar?

That's just crying out for a photo posting opportunity. Hell, photoshop it.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Given what went on in the 2012 Tour Froome's lucky he didn't get a punch in the chops let alone a share of Wiggins' personal pot.

And as for unpopularity, does my memory deceive me or was it not the word on the street at the time that Rogers (a rider I admire greatly) jumped ship sharpish with a few well-chosen words once he knew Froome was to become numero uno at Sky instead of Wiggins?
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,683
    I think I must be a contrarian. Last year I said that Wiggins wouldn't start the tour to much derision on this forum, but I'm now starting to think he might...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    edited June 2014
    iainf72 wrote:

That's just crying out for a photo posting opportunity. Hell, photoshop it.

Ah I see. Pesky Walsh. As to the photoshopping, I'm a bit busy, if no one else does it by this evening, I'll have a go.
    From his own - and the Cound's - account, Froome got equally miffed because Wiggins left him off the invite list to the Ball thingy in the off-season in 2012.

I wish people would leave me off invites to stuff like that. I hate getting dressed up.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    greeny12 wrote:
    And as for unpopularity, does my memory deceive me or was it not the word on the street at the time that Rogers (a rider I admire greatly) jumped ship sharpish with a few well-chosen words once he knew Froome was to become numero uno at Sky instead of Wiggins?

Is that really why Rogers left...? I thought it was for something else...

I want to know about BradleyOnTheBusGate.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    My guess on the Sky Tour squad (barring some unseemliness at either Suisse or Dauphiné)...

Froome
    Wiggins
    Porte
    Kiriyenka
    Knees
    Thomas
    Nieve
    Kennaugh
    Lopez

Substitute Kennaugh for Henao and this is my team.

Despite the obvious tension Froome would be daft not to have an on form Wiggins in the team, even if the risk was that he wouldn't ride for him.
    Imagine Wiggins doing a pull like in Cali in front of TDF camera's. Wiggins will get plenty of publicity out of it with some cleverly worked reporting to satisfy his ego (yes I know SKY have not been good at this in the past but they have to come good some time, right?). Wiggins, Thomas and Knees get to do a shepherding job on the cobbles where multiple options are sensible. Positives far outweigh the negatives.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,238
    Wiggins national hero after winning 2012 Tour; 2014 Tour starts in Wiggins' adopted back yard and travels to the city where he grew up; Wiggins in great form; Sky looking to capitalise on all the Tour hoo-ha; Wiggins' new agent all about "the brand"... Did you see the crowds at the ToB!?? ... C'mon... Brailsford and Froome would end up fielding as many questions about Wiggins' absence as they would about everything else put together...

Were there to be a significant spat between now and Depart, or should someone catch wind that Wiggins doesn't intend making it to Paris... That might change things.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,565

Didn't he keep leaving used capsules in the Nespresso machine on the bus... :wink:
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I'd be very surprised if they're not both on the TDF team. Brailsford will get the best team available on the start line, and that will included Wiggins.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited June 2014
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Wiggins national hero after winning 2012 Tour; 2014 Tour starts in Wiggins' adopted back yard and travels to the city where he grew up; Wiggins in great form; Sky looking to capitalise on all the Tour hoo-ha; Wiggins' new agent all about "the brand"... Did you see the crowds at the ToB!?? ... C'mon... Brailsford and Froome would end up fielding as many questions about Wiggins' absence as they would about everything else put together...

Were there to be a significant spat between now and Depart, or should someone catch wind that Wiggins doesn't intend making it to Paris... That might change things.

The defending champion, Froome, might not see is at his job to fill Fuller's voids. Assuming he's selfish and ungrateful, will the team overrule him?

And I'm not a buyer of the Brailsford mythology. I think he got lucky that Froome came along in the nick of time. Wiggins would have won 2012, but with more mountain dramas pulling back Nibali on his own (still an amazing achievement). Other than that, they're nowhere without Froome.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • iainf72
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I'd be very surprised if they're not both on the TDF team. Brailsford will get the best team available on the start line, and that will included Wiggins.

The best collection of individual athletes would include Wiggins without a doubt.

Whether the best team would include him is a different discussion.
  • above_the_cows
    dish_dash wrote:

Didn't he keep leaving used capsules in the Nespresso machine on the bus... :wink:

I thought that was Froome and Porte? Maybe he didn't flush and freshen the loo after a number 2?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,163
    dish_dash wrote:

I thought that was Froome and Porte? Maybe he didn't flush and freshen the loo after a number 2?
    I thought it was an arguement about what to watch on the video screen. Wiggins wanted Quadraphenia and Froome wanted The Lion King.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I'd like to see Wiggins being the only Sky man to pull Froome back from a gap at some point and then for him just to sit up and say 'off you go mate' and cost Froome time or the Tour itself. Of course it won't happen but it would be great for entertainment value. The only reason I would like to see Froome win is so that Contador doesn't, and to be honest I'm only just sure about that as I don't like either of them at all (Froome edges though just on the principle that he has no record of doping).
  • Richmond Racer
    edited June 2014
    Macaloon wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

The defending champion, Froome, might not see is at his job to fill Fuller's voids. Assuming he's selfish and ungrateful, will the team overrule him?

And I'm not a buyer of the Brailsford mythology. I think he got lucky that Froome came along in the nick of time. Wiggins would have won 2012, but with more mountain dramas pulling back Nibali on his own (still an amazing achievement). Other than that, they're nowhere without Froome.

If you dont reckon Wiggins wants to be on the start line in his own country with his agent's influence being irrelevant to that desire, then perhaps you dont get really get him. God knows, he was proud enough when the race started here in 07.

On the Brailsford point, I've become less and less enamoured with the way he goes about the running of a road team, and the associated handling of interpersonal rivalries. And whats gone on here bears no comparison to the Hoy-Kenny situation - those 2 guys were and still are good mates throughout, whereas there is a lot of bad blood between Wiggins and Froome. Also procycling team is a hugely different environment from a track team. Brailsford failed to recognise the difference, believing that it was no different to Hoy v Kenny selection, and others like it from the track team history, and the ill-feeling has been allowed to simmer and then escalate for the last 2 years.
  • salsiccia1
    iainf72 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

The best collection of individual athletes would include Wiggins without a doubt.

Whether the best team would include him is a different discussion.

Agreed, but I genuinely think it would. It might create some tension but as has previously been mentioned Brailsford likes that sort of thing.

Anyway, it's about team there was another Hinault v. LeMond or Roche v. Visentini.
  • Macaloon
    If you dont reckon Wiggins wants to be on the start line in his own country with his agent's influence being irrelevant, then perhaps you dont get really get him. God knows, he was proud enough when the race started here in 07.

Of course he wants to be there regardless of Fuller. (Would have been cool if he felt as strongly in 2013).

I was merely wondering who wears the trousers? Wiggins, Brailsford or Froome?
  • Richmond Racer
    edited June 2014
    Macaloon wrote:
    If you dont reckon Wiggins wants to be on the start line in his own country with his agent's influence being irrelevant, then perhaps you dont get really get him. God knows, he was proud enough when the race started here in 07.

Of course he wants to be there regardless of Fuller. (Would have been cool if he felt as strongly in 2013).

It aint Wiggins, however much influence he had in the past. Thats for sure.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,163
    Macaloon wrote:

Ultimately Jeremy Darroch and James Murdoch do.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Macaloon wrote:

It aint Wiggins, however much influence he had in the past. Thats for sure.

That reminds me of that line in "A Year in Yellow" when Wiggins says "I've been out on the piss countless times with Dave" and Brailsford's lukewarm response was along the lines "We've had a couple of drinks" which made me thing that no, Bradley, you think you've been out on the piss with Dave.

I think Brailsford will take the opportunity to drop Wiggins with encouragement from Froome.
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • Macaloon
    edited June 2014
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ultimately Jeremy Darroch and James Murdoch do.

"In office, but not in power" perhaps.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,204
    Rumour had it that Froome had a big say in last year's Tour team? And let's face it at times they were very lucky to get away with it e.g. Stage 9 and the crosswinds stage that Cav won. Against stronger opposition, and Contador is looking like that, they may not be able to afford dropping a minute somewhere through having a weak team. They'd do well to remember that IMHO and pick what will be the strongest team on the road.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    I'd love to see a straight up fight on the road between Wiggins and Froome, it would be great.

However, I do think from Sky point of view if Wiggins is left out then it is ridiculous he is even on their books for all the money he must cost them. The last few months haven't exactly been too kind to Sky either (California being the only stand out) and they could do with the positive publicity Wiggins starting would give them IMO.
  • iainf72
    Surely no one thinks Wiggins has got Tour winning form this year?

He's in good shape, but then again Froome beat Tony Martin in a TT
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Also to consider that, at least in the build up and British stages, if Wiggins is left at home due to Froome's will every press conference will be full of, Fuller whipped up, questions asking about Wiggins. Then can you imagine the furore if Froome loses time on the cobbles or on a mountain drag strip where Wiggins may have been a factor. Could end up being more destructive than team disharmony.

Not sure how much influence could be brought to bear in France, but in Britain at least the real battle could be Fuller v Fran......and there is only going to be one winner there.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • salsiccia1
    iainf72 wrote:
    Surely no one thinks Wiggins has got Tour winning form this year?

He's in good shape, but then again Froome beat Tony Martin in a TT

No, I don't think he has, but he could give a team Tour winning effort. If he can be arsed. And that for me is the only question, and why I might hesitate.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,565
    Coach H wrote:
    Also to consider that, at least in the build up and British stages, if Wiggins is left at home due to Froome's will every press conference will be full of, Fuller whipped up, questions asking about Wiggins. Then can you imagine the furore if Froome loses time on the cobbles or on a mountain drag strip where Wiggins may have been a factor. Could end up being more destructive than team disharmony.

Not sure how much influence could be brought to bear in France, but in Britain at least the real battle could be Fuller v Fran......and there is only going to be one winner there.

If he isn't on the team, you can imagine Wiggo rocking up in Yorkshire anyway and dominating headlines...
  • above_the_cows
    On the Brailsford point, I've become less and less enamoured with the way he goes about the running of a road team, and the associated handling of interpersonal rivalries. And whats gone on here bears no comparison to the Hoy-Kenny situation - those 2 guys were and still are good mates throughout, whereas there is a lot of bad blood between Wiggins and Froome. Also procycling team is a hugely different environment from a track team. Brailsford failed to recognise the difference, believing that it was no different to Hoy v Kenny selection, and others like it from the track team history, and the ill-feeling has been allowed to simmer and then escalate for the last 2 years.

For all Brailsford's supposed 'management guruness' he seems to lack some basic emotional intelligence. It is perfectly possible to see that both Wiggins and Froome have a point vis-a-vis the other and that both Wiggins and Froome are being a bit silly vis-a-vis the other. You can't reconcile these competing feelings but nor can you pretend they're not there, hope they'll go away or 'manage' your way out of it through focusing only on the numbers. What is really needed here is a stern word and a sit on the naughty step/slap on the bottom (depending on your approach to corporal parenting) for both of them.
This discussion has been closed.