Froome on Wiggins and more

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Baldy flanked by locks and cocks in the background. It really is a tough decision for the team. They should just ask what the sponsor would prefer as after all they are a corporation first and sport team second.

You mean like Vini-Fantini in the Giro last year?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    That is an awesome picture of Brailsford.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    To use a cliche, let the road decide. Tell Wiggins & Froome that if BW makes the podium in Switzerland he's in and if not he's out. No questions asked.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Yep that would work, simples. If both ride then it's up to those 2 and the management (who between them all earn a small fortune) to sort it out.

Worth considering the fallout from the scenario where Wiggo didn't go and then Froome either crashes or early or just cracks and fails to win. Then what Vuelta or bust?
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    dish_dash wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Fair amusing tweet from Velocast recently.

For those wondering what happened in the ToB bus, you can see the words on the mock up

Err, what was the trigger?

Half of the team boozing all night in the hotel bar with the likes of Matt Stephens. Brad not one of said late night boozers, being soberly tucked up in bed. Gorgeous Bernie and Jez Hunt turning up at 8am the next morning, still half-cut. Brad goes ballistic.

But he was doubtless looking for an excuse.

So if I'm getting this right, Wiggins is disliked for being professional and wanting to win a race?
    I know it's only the ToB but still don't get it?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I doubt Wiggo will even want to go unless he feels he's going to be allowed to stay with the leaders until late into the climbs - can't see Wiggo settling for being burned up early doors and strolling in 15 mins behind on the MTFs.

My view flips about whether Wiggo is going or not. My lastest feeling is that if Porte looks remotely fragile during CdD then Wiggo is a cert for TdF. Otherwise, probably not.

This could all be good tactics of course from Sir Dave. If he thinks there is a chance that Wiggo's heart is not in it to support Froome then what better way to prove otherwise than to put Wiggo under a ton of pressure and force him to perform. Under such circumstances IF Wiggo makes the Tour his mind will probably be in the right place - ie grateful and wanting to put a show on.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Daz555 wrote:
    My view flips about whether Wiggo is going or not.
    Me too. Despite what the podcast people say, I still keep going back to the fact that the Tour starts in Britain and it would hard to defend to the general sporting press the exclusion of Britain best known cyclist if is on form. They just won't understand, even if they are told he is disruptive. They could barely understand England Cricket dispensing with Kevin Pietersen and he's well known to be an Olympic standard bellend. And they struggled to understand David Beckham's exclusion from the Olympics despite him retiring from proper football five years previous.

If it had been starting in Nantes or Reims, then no problem. But Yorkshire? It's a big call and only justified by an eventual Froome victory.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    dish_dash wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Fair amusing tweet from Velocast recently.

For those wondering what happened in the ToB bus, you can see the words on the mock up

Err, what was the trigger?

Half of the team boozing all night in the hotel bar with the likes of Matt Stephens. Brad not one of said late night boozers, being soberly tucked up in bed. Gorgeous Bernie and Jez Hunt turning up at 8am the next morning, still half-cut. Brad goes ballistic.

But he was doubtless looking for an excuse.

To be fair Wiggo wasn't looking best pleased on the night either before he went to bed
    PubStaff_2827383.jpg
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    My version of the nights antics, posted last year
    Coach H wrote:
    The way I heared it, at last years Tour of Britian during SKY's night in the pub thing Bernie pretty much pulled every female in a 3Km radius. The Swannies had to fight them off with $hitty sticks and Eisel had to be forcebly removed before all the country boys kicked off about him chatting up their girlfriends and turning the Deathstar into a modern day Led Zeppelin tour bus with Bernie playing the Robert Plant role :lol:

Edited for Photographic evidence

Bernie looking pleased as punch having secured the hottest girl in the Strickland Arms, Cav playing the loyal 'wingman' buy chatting up the pettite (even smaller than him) blonde friend and Brad looking like he has just realised the Hotpot tasted funny and he is about to spend all night on a different kind of throne
    Note: the only non-team MALE in the photo is the landlord.
    PubStaff_2827383.jpg

Off Topic - Further evidence that Brad was worried about the Hotpot; everyone else smiling for the camera, Brad suspiciously eyeing up his meal.
    TeamTable_2827396.jpg

NB. There is no evidence to suggest the meal at the Strickland Arms was to blame for Brads subsequent "digestive issues" nor does the above post imply that the food hygiene standards at the aforementioned establishment are anything but exemplary (however there is [cough] evidence [cough] that the meal was prepared by the brunettes boyfriend and placed in error one tablemat down from where it was intetended :shock: )
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • above_the_cows
    ^OK those photos literally made me laugh out loud. He looks like someone just ran over his dog.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    My view flips about whether Wiggo is going or not.
    Me too. Despite what the podcast people say, I still keep going back to the fact that the Tour starts in Britain and it would hard to defend to the general sporting press the exclusion of Britain best known cyclist if is on form. They just won't understand, even if they are told he is disruptive. They could barely understand England Cricket dispensing with Kevin Pietersen and he's well known to be an Olympic standard bellend. And they struggled to understand David Beckham's exclusion from the Olympics despite him retiring from proper football five years previous.

If it had been starting in Nantes or Reims, then no problem. But Yorkshire? It's a big call and only justified by an eventual Froome victory.

These are good points. I can see the reasons for including him, I can see the reasons for not including him. Ultimately my viewpoints count for nought and I don't actually care all that much if he goes or doesn't go. (I'd care if he went and was a wally or he went and he put in some storming ride) but at this point I don't really care. Maybe I'm dead inside.

It's up to the team at the end of the day.

EDIT - Bernie's got a dirty mark on his t-shirt. Now this I care about, can't stand dirty marks on clothes. Oh my OCD... :shock:
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    EDIT - Bernie's got a dirty mark on his t-shirt. Now this I care about, can't stand dirty marks on clothes. Oh my OCD... :shock:

I think that might more accurately be described as a damp patch... :wink:
  • above_the_cows
    dish_dash wrote:

I think that might more accurately be described as a damp patch... :wink:

:shock:
  • iainf72
    Elfed wrote:

So if I'm getting this right, Wiggins is disliked for being professional and wanting to win a race?

He didn't want to win. He was nowhere in the race and didn't really take it seriously as I remember - think he turned up for sponsors
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    RichN95 wrote:
    <wise stuff>
    They could barely understand England Cricket dispensing with Kevin Pietersen and he's well known to be an Olympic standard bellend.
    <more wise stuff>

Aside from the usual wisdom of your post, Rich, can you be awarded some kind of rosette for the magnificent phrase "Olympic standard bellend"?
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    iainf72 wrote:
    Elfed wrote:

He didn't want to win. He was nowhere in the race and didn't really take it seriously as I remember - think he turned up for sponsors

2012 or 2013? 2013 he was majorly motivated to win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    2012 or 2013? 2013 he was majorly motivated to win.

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Iain, I dont think Ian Boswell's got your memo about Wiggins being so widely disliked in the team

http://cyclingillustrated.com/ian-boswe ... alifornia/

:P
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    iainf72 wrote:
    Elfed wrote:

Why was he in bed early and angry at the others for being out all night then? Still don't get it.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Elfed wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Elfed wrote:

Why was he in bed early and angry at the others for being out all night then? Still don't get it.

Sounds like he had the shits and was jealous he couldn't stay out on the pull with the others, if Coach H's evidence is to be believed...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    I thought Wiggins spent the entire 2012 ToB on the lash?
  • Richmond Racer
    andyp wrote:

Not according to various journos who were at the race
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:

Not according to various journos who were at the race

No, that was a previous edition. 2009 or 2010 I think.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Can't be that hard to find agreement which sates each riders self interest.

Unless Wiggins is a complete tool and isn't wanted on the team or a complete tool and believes he can win
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Any chance we could have one Sky/Froome/Wiggins thread in the run up to the tour?

A thread for every utterance will grate after a while.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161
    Any chance we could have one Sky/Froome/Wiggins thread in the run up to the tour?

A thread for every utterance will grate after a while.

I doubt it, they usually get dragged into a thread even if it's about a race they aren't at or have had next to no impact (good or bad) on it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's contador....
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    coriordan wrote:
    That's contador....
    It's all 3 of them, and it's usually the same person responsible for 99% of it.
  • tailwindhome
    So.....will Wiggins ever ride (with a view to finishing) another GT?
  • Richmond Racer
    Dunno, but he's riding track at the Commies rather than a lap of France
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Dunno, but he's riding track at the Commies rather than a lap of France
    He's riding ITT at the Commonwealth games.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
This discussion has been closed.