Froome on Wiggins and more

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Daz555 wrote:
    Dunno, but he's riding track at the Commies rather than a lap of France
    He's riding ITT at the Commonwealth games.

Indeed. But it appears that he's also riding track.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Delete - answered wrong post
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

Is this true, or (probably informed) opinion?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Is this true, or (probably informed) opinion?

Richard Moore claimed he'd 'probably' be doing so, in the latest Cycling Podcast

Matt Slater's latest BBC Tour diary update
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27720956

and
    Wiggins was training on the Manchester track under Sutton on Tue, in GB skinsut - and he was doing a proper session

Track events kick off 24 Jul

ITT - 31 Jul

Just to add to the fun, UCI have announced the Games events will carry UCI points. This could very well lead to bigger names racing the road events.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I'm interested in the disinterested offer seemingly delivered to Froome pre-Vuelta.

Is it plausible that despite showing amazing numbers in training and at (the wrong) times in races, management had lost faith is his ablilty to ever produce consistently? Or was Froome's Vuelta really 10x better than management expected? Or is the 60k snub just spice for the book and the negotiations were in fact standard?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Track events kick off 24 Jul
    ITT - 31 Jul

So Tour plus commie ITT is doable.
    Just to add to the fun, UCI have announced the Games events will carry UCI points. This could very well lead to bigger names racing the road events.

How does that work if only a fraction of pro riders can enter?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I reckon most of the bigger names would ride anyway. It's not far to go and they're only missing San Sebastian to do it. It's got to be more fun than that. I doubt Froome or Evans will do it, but I think everyone else will be keen.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Commie b*stards....
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    A little dig from Froome.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27722064

More poor reporting from BBC as well...."Froome, who finished the tour second before winning it himself in 2013, had dragged his team leader Wiggins up with Nibali and Van den Broeck and dropped main rival Cadel Evans in the process......"

Dragged? :roll:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Wiggins on BBC Breakfast shortly ... Discussing TDF ....
    Could be interesting!
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    Daz555 wrote:
    A little dig from Froome.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27722064

More poor reporting from BBC as well...."Froome, who finished the tour second before winning it himself in 2013, had dragged his team leader Wiggins up with Nibali and Van den Broeck and dropped main rival Cadel Evans in the process......"

Dragged? :roll:
    Froome also admitted that, had he been racing 10 years earlier, he would have been tempted to take performance-enhancing drugs but would not have gone through with it.
    Lance Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles between 1999 and 2005 as drugs blighted the sport.
    "Certainly, I would have been tempted but that is not a decision I would have made," said Froome.

Clinic meltdown in 5....4....3....2.....1...

I understand he's trying to be honest etc, but it's a silly thing to say with so much heat already on him.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Wiggins in L'equipe

He won't be at Tour. If Froome gets injured, maybe, but only as support for Porte. If anyone else gets injured he won' t get the call up
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Wiggo not picked for Tour then.

Straight from the horses mouth on BBC breakfast.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    Wiggins says"as it stands I won't be at the Tour". BBC Breakfast

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I just logged on to post that. Brad 'gutted' to be left out. Frustrated because he believes he is in 2012 form. I hope he leaves TBH.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    iainf72 wrote:
    Wiggins in L'equipe

He won't be at Tour. If Froome gets injured, maybe, but only as support for Porte. If anyone else gets injured he won' t get the call up
    And he says if he's ever to ride the TdF again he'll have to leave Sky, and openly talks about contacts with Orica
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    When Sky put you on the naughty step, you stay on the naughty step.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    So Froome's picking the team then?

Can't believe an in form Wiggins is not being selected.
  • TMR
    FJS wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Wiggins in L'equipe

And he says if he's ever to ride the TdF again he'll have to leave Sky, and openly talks about contacts with Orica

Someone is telling porkies...
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    When Sky put you on the naughty step, you stay on the naughty step.

Sky has consistently had a strict 1 clearly defined GC leader policy for Grand Tours, with absolutely everything planned around that. That has worked strongly in Wiggins' favour in the past, but works against him now. You can say it's overly rigid, or even counterproductive (Vuelta 2011?), but at least it's consistent
  • TMR
    roscoe wrote:
    So Froome's picking the team then?

Can't believe an in form Wiggins is not being selected.

I'm feeling an irrational dislike of CF...I'll have to give my head a shake.

The BBC are doing all they can for Brad, which is great. It won't change Brailsford's mind though.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Anyone else think this could spectacularly back fire on them?
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639

No not really.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807

Yes. It's a PR nightmare IMO.
  • TMR

I hope so. Could Murdoch tell them to pick Brad?
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    TMR wrote:

I hope so. Could Murdoch tell them to pick Brad?

Doubtful, after all the PR in California etc.
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    edited June 2014
    From the on sofa interview between Sally Nugent and wiggins at 8:26 this morning discussing 2014 TDF. Might not be 100% word for word but it is close

SN: Will you be there?

BW: Er as it stands I wont be there...probably.

SN: You wont be there?

BW: The team is based around Chris Froome the defending cha,pion who has got a great chance to win a second tour. It has been decided, as things stand, they are gonig to base the team around him and so unfortunately I wont be there but there will still be plenty to cheer about.
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161

Yes, when Porte falls apart which I think he's liable to do on this season's form. I can't think any other team would leave out a recent winner who appears to be hitting good form and who didn't ride the Giro. Plus, I can't believe Wiggins is prepared to settle for the CG track events instead - maybe the track sessions are prep for an assault on the hour??
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Pro performance from Brad on BBC Breakfast, charming, diplomatic and assured. No contest between them off the bike and in the public spotlight. Wiggins is said not to like the limelight, but he comes across very well in front of a camera.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161
    mm1 wrote:
    Pro performance from Brad on BBC Breakfast, charming, diplomatic and assured. No contest between them off the bike and in the public spotlight. Wiggins is said not to like the limelight, but he comes across very well in front of a camera.

Well, when he's not drunk or calling journalists a bunch of *****!
This discussion has been closed.