Giro 2014 - Stage 11: Collechio - Savona **Spoilers**

Comments

• RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    Brilliant stage.

Excellent win by Rogers.

Fortune favours the brave.

Those hating on Rogers (more than half the forum) after the clen news can suck. on. that.

Frenchie, I hate to have to dig this one out of the valuts, but unless my memory's going a bit yonderly, back at the tail end of 2012 when the rumour of Rogers going from Sky to join Bertie first emerged, your immediate reaction was 'We dont want that dirty doper'

So I'd probably be a bit careful about dishing out the 'hater' tag

What a difference a year or two makes... :wink:
    Not sure he needs to be too careful, it's fair enough for him to have such a polar change of opinion. Rogers has gone from FF's hated Sky to team-mate of Bertie, who we all know FF loves almost as much as he loves himself.
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    Best beard in the race takes 2nd on the stage - good work Simon Geschke
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,102
    Brilliant stage.

Excellent win by Rogers.

Those hating on Rogers (more than half the forum) after the clen news can suck. on. that.

Frenchie, I hate to have to dig this one out of the valuts, but unless my memory's going a bit yonderly, back at the tail end of 2012 when the rumour of Rogers going from Sky to join Bertie first emerged, your immediate reaction was 'We dont want that dirty doper'

The 'wink' smilie, the preserve of the smug. Care to back that up with some links?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Had to pop out earlier so just finished watching the last 40km.

Good stuff in the end with the battling for mountain points and then a lone attack off the bunch.

I have no love or hate for Rogers but a bit like Phinney's win last week, you want the plucky attacker to come good rather than the best faceless fast finisher.

Got the impression Cadel gave another Aussie a hand there as the gap went out very quickly when Cadel went to the front (that's the second time this Giro after towing Matthews to the line).
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    Nathan Haas ‏@NathanPeterHaas · 1m
    I don't know if I've ever been in a harder race? 253kms literally no letting up. Respect to @mickrogers

BoLGi8YCUAA36yj.jpg
    I assume this from today
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Brilliant stage.

Excellent win by Rogers.

The 'wink' smilie, the preserve of the smug. Care to back that up with some links?

So everyone who uses a :wink: is smug? I see. Good for all to know.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,102
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Brilliant stage.

Excellent win by Rogers.

So everyone who uses a :wink: is smug? I see. Good for all to know.
    Pretty much, yes.

Looking forward to seeing the links to back up your original assertion.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • tailwindhome
    BoKwCNOIUAAubzl.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I was at work so it sounds as though I missed the first genuinely good stage so far. I'll watch the highlights and then give you my thoughts, which I'm sure many of you are on the edge of your seat waiting for.

I was either going to go for Uran or Kelderman in PTP and in the end I tossed a coin and ended up going for Uran. Great.
  • More polenta, less polemics ...
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    coriordan wrote:
    can someone send a gif or image of the peloton rising up?

Annoying you youtube at work.....
    Try this (can't embed HTML5 gifs apparently)
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Malori's injuries makes tomorrow's TT a bit harder to predict..

tw.jpg

Hopefully it's mostly superficial damage.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Cadel looks strong. Did anyone notice that every so often he drops back and keeps an eye on things while his teammates drill it at the front. He's must be feeling good and letting the others know about it.
    All you Cadel haters can. suck.on.It.:lol:
  • Richmond Racer
    Cadel looks strong. Did anyone notice that every so often he drops back and keeps an eye on things while his teammates drill it at the front. He's must be feeling good and letting the others know about it.

Now, are Cadel haters the same as Schlecklette haters? I forgets.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    More polenta, less polemics ...

Giro d'Islington.

Great GIF up there. Ta.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Just watched the last 10k. That shot of the peloton over the rise was awesome.

Good win for Rogers. Well deserved.

Sad I missed that live. Just the day to get delivery of new computers at work and to have to spend the afternoon setting it all up.

But looks like my plan to garner 10 PTP points backfired, but then if I hadn't gone for Swift, it was trusty old goat face you want to punch Evans or Ulissi. Evans came in 13 and Ulissi didn't make the front group. So an all out crash and burn in the PTP stakes for me, a bit like the time a minibus full of nuns, driven by an actual nun side swiped my car in a tunnel in Savona. True story.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,018

Excellent stuff from you as well as the non-Tube version. Looks like an choreographed scene from a film with the cavalry coming over the hill.
  • Richmond Racer
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Excellent stuff from you as well as the non-Tube version. Looks like an choreographed scene from a film with the cavalry coming over the hill.

Tis a good 'un, for sure
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,018
    Sad I missed that live. Just the day to get delivery of new computers at work and to have to spend the afternoon setting it all up.

It's going to take a lot longer than the afternoon. I've never got the time back I have spent upgrading from Wordperfect 5.1 running on a 286 with a 'massive 64 Mb of RAM' (probably before your time).

Edit - think I'm 10 fold over with the RAM.
  • tailwindhome
    Macaloon wrote:
    Crikey. Superb win for Rogers.

This Giro is so Australian it should be a Gyro.

Nathan Haas ‏@NathanPeterHaas · 5m
    So I'm really dragging the chain here at the GIRO as the only Canberra rider in the race not to win a stage @blingmatthews @mickrogers
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Great stage that and a fantastic ride by Rogers.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370

Now, are Cadel haters the same as Schlecklette haters? I forgets.

I was just skitting FF post earlier. The sucking one. Very Funny in my view. You know I offered him a signed Contador poster and he turned it down :shock:
    Schleck haters,,, Does not compute :lol:
  • tailwindhome
    tumblr_n5vz9pdsaC1ropreyo1_1280.jpg
    Quite like how Cima Naso di Gatto translates as Topcat's Nose.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,180
    Quite like how Cima Naso di Gatto translates as Topcat's Nose.
    The sprinters should have tried this to get over it in the main group.

450078_640px.jpg

That picture basically looks like the 2012 Sky TdF team riding 'Top Cat' to the time trials: It's definitely Cav at the back.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Brilliant stage.

Excellent win by Rogers.

I hate to abuse the search function like this, but it's probably fair to mention that your non-hating, fair and balanced endorsement of the sainted Mick Rogers and how he would never, ever dope and get away with it started with "I'd always thought he was a doper" - linky - it's a bit rich to criticise others for entertaining their own doubts.

If I was really going to abuse the search function, I'd also mention your comment in 2012: "F Sky. Hate the fact Rogers and Porte can stay with these group. In fact it is downright odd....." and ask why it should have been downright odd for Rogers to ride near the front on a GT stage in 2012 but completely normal and entirely unsuspicious for him to ride away from the entire field in a GT stage in 2014, a few months after testing positive for a performance enhancing drug?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited May 2014

After the stage he said he couldn't remember the 20 minutes after the crash.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

If that picture was in black and white and fifty years old, everyone would be busy telling us that they don't make riders as tough as they used to.
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    Only watched the last few km but it looked like the peloton let him win. With 2km to go the lead was cut down to only 10 seconds then it shot back up to 20 seconds as they were about to catch him up.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    philwint wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    Lovely shot of the peloton cresting that last wee rise spread across the road

Yeah - it was very dramatic, almost ominous :)

Great ride and win.

Evans - I am a mild mannered man, but every time i see him interviewed I get this urge to punch him.... *there, I said it*

Couldn't agree more. He is an a*se.