Guess the object

Comments

• Not a pump. The image above may give more context, same purpose - different design. As it is a poor quality image I should say there are two bolts in the foreground behind the spanner.
  • I have no idea what that latest picture shows.
    But going back to the first pic. Does the silver bit get sucked down when a vacuum occurs in the tube?
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    Does the silver bit get sucked down when a vacuum occurs in the tube?

Wouldn't that make it a pneumatic slave cylinder???
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • natrix wrote:
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    Does the silver bit get sucked down when a vacuum occurs in the tube?

Wouldn't that make it a pneumatic slave cylinder???
    :D It would. But what is the opposite of "runs on air"? Runs on vacuum, or supplies air (master cylinder)?
    :? Think I should give up.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Does whatever is on the other end of the rubber tube get stuck on something, using a vacuum from the object?

So you'd press it in, attach, release, its suckered on. Like something for testing moisture of a non-porous surface?

I am clutching at straws.

Is it a something "ometer"?

GIVE US THAT MUCH! :P
  • I'm thinking you are not going to get this and the fun has dropped out of this now. Unless there are any objections before tomorrow morning I'm going to give it to Manc33, who has not quite got its purpose but has written a description laden with keywords that would be used in the correct description.

If I hand it over unsolved, can I have 5 'baffle' points?

So, any objections? I will explain in the morning.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Yes, I object. We will soldier on like dog's to war...

is it for getting marbles out of sheep?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • 'Fraid not. You're just tight with the baffle points.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I'm curious to see what object Manc33 will come up with. More curious about the purpose. Could be fun.
  • natrix
    Is it used in a workshop, laboratory, or vehicle?????
  • Laboratory.
  • natrix
    Does it provide a vacumm for making microscope slides so that porous samples get inpregnated with resin???
  • Part way there, it uses a vacuum to do something.
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm curious to see what object Manc33 will come up with. More curious about the purpose. Could be fun.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will have anything to do with sheep but it may have something to do with marbles - the one's he is looking for?

Is it me or are there some people who don't accept the result? I wonder why...
  • Capt Slog wrote:
    I've not used one of those for years!
    Come on then Captain. Put us out of our misery. I need a new object otherwise I'll have to do some work.
  • Bobbygloss wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Come on then Captain. Put us out of our misery. I need a new object otherwise I'll have to do some work.
    I second that, after tomorrow I'm away for work until Monday and shan't be logging in.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

Okay.

It looks to me like a KBr disc press, for making samples to go into an infra-red spectrometer. You mix the organic compound (usually) with potassium bromide and then put it into the press. Normally this goes into a hydraulic ram which squeezes the KBr and the compound into a fused disc, very thin, and this then goes into the spectrometer.

The little pipe on the side of this one is a bit of a mystery though. I've not seen that before. The inference is that it uses vacuum to pull the piston down on the mix, but if so I'm amazed that this is possible.

If this is correct I'm not that fussed with another go yet, I suggest that T&W selects someone that had all the right ideas but had never seen one before. :D

The older I get, the better I was.

• Yes, in the second image the screws compress and the pipe sources the vacuum to evacuate the cell so that there is no air in the potassium bromide disc made in it, hence the bench spanner. Samples for analysis are finely ground with the KBr with an agate pestle and mortar, for dilution and homogenisation.
    KBr is transparent to infrared so the spectrum is that of the sample, (usually plus any moisture). A well prepared sample looks as clear as a sugar glaze.

Further info here http://www.specac.com/products/hand-FTI ... system/518

Lets give it to Manc33 for getting keywords.
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    marble-system.jpg
  • pinno
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_Kuwo8lfLDPw2tw0-isdJA-bd969J5mgLEBiDBuIjxLqa7wC_ZLeh-N0
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_Kuwo8lfLDPw2tw0-isdJA-bd969J5mgLEBiDBuIjxLqa7wC_ZLeh-N0

Family album snap?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • gingaman
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_Kuwo8lfLDPw2tw0-isdJA-bd969J5mgLEBiDBuIjxLqa7wC_ZLeh-N0

Family album snap?

I think this is the family snap:
    plaid_sheep.jpg
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Someone post a bloody object!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • gingaman
    We're waiting on manc33...
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    gingaman wrote:
    You'll be waiting a long time, he's been abducted by aliens. Pull your finger out capt slog.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    seanoconn wrote:
    gingaman wrote:
    You'll be waiting a long time, he's been abducted by aliens. Pull your finger out capt slog.

Yep, forgot to put his tin foil hat on.

@ Gingaman, that tartan is all wrong. Must have been one of our fancy dress parties.

Chop chop Sloggy.
  • capt_slog
    Okay okay, I'll find something.

I tried to take a piccy on Friday, but my camera didn't want to go, hopefully it's just run down the battery.

So it'll be Monday now unless I can find something interesting at home.

• *Ahem*

It's Tuesday.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • capt_slog
    Yup, and I'm ill.

Spent the last few days shivering and holding down the settee, and finding something to take a photo of has not been foremost in my thoughts.