Guess the object

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    Agree, Capt Slog must be the winner !!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    well as you are being grumpygutses who think poacher alarms and burglar alarms are the same thing i'm taking my ball away

pttthhhbbbttttttt!

:D
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    sungod wrote:
    well as you are being grumpygutses who think poacher alarms and burglar alarms are the same thing i'm taking my ball away

pttthhhbbbttttttt!

Is a poacher not a form of burglar?
    Does that help? :P
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Okay, you all done? :lol:

I've nothing at present to put up, so I'll have a look round tonight and try and find something for tomorrow.

(poaching is theft BTW, so a poacher can be a burglar, so there :wink: )

The older I get, the better I was.

• capt_slog
    Veronese68 wrote:
    sungod wrote:

pttthhhbbbttttttt!

see?

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    Veronese68 wrote:

no, it's irrelevant

the object is a door/window alarm, not a poacher scarer, both alarms, both go bang, but different design and different activation methods

by your 'logic' an axe and a spear are the same thing, both weapons, both cut, the different design and different activation methods do not matter to you

if we're going to eliminate specific purpose and reduce all objects to generic classifications based upon one or more broad functional attributes then it makes things rather easy, which surely isn't the point - i.e. the coin counter, merely saying it's a counter is not enough, the fun is in nailing the precise thing

clearly this game is too challenging for some people!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    sungod wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

no, it's irrelevant

the object is a door/window alarm, not a poacher scarer, both alarms, both go bang, but different design and different activation methods

by your 'logic' an axe and a spear are the same thing, both weapons, both cut, the different design and different activation methods do not matter to you

if we're going to eliminate specific purpose and reduce all objects to generic classifications based upon one or more broad functional attributes then it makes things rather easy, which surely isn't the point - i.e. the coin counter, merely saying it's a counter is not enough, the fun is in nailing the precise thing

clearly this game is too challenging for some people!

Order. order, order in the court or i'll have you removed.

Capt Slog - this is your thread and the peasants are revolting. Sort it out before it turns into a revolution - let them eat cake.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    Capt Slog wrote:
    (poaching is theft BTW, so a poacher can be a burglar, so there :wink: )
    No he can't. Burglary involves a building.

Burglary

The criminal offence of breaking and entering a building illegally for the purpose of committing a crime.
  • pinno
    Why are we waiting...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnCVlWqWBdnfQXwkL8wtaPalOnYraU47xCxscgpMumLWJkLcpE06TIjEOD
  • capt_slog
    Why are we waiting...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnCVlWqWBdnfQXwkL8wtaPalOnYraU47xCxscgpMumLWJkLcpE06TIjEOD

Sorry, I was busy, and then I've been away for a few days. I realised I wouldn't be able to judge anything if i did manage to put a picture up.

If anyone else wants to take it up, be my guest.

• pinno
    Okay here goes. A very tough one, sure to last till the end of the TdF:

pic1313as.jpg

pic1313b.jpg
  • OK, this is too quiet so lets try to break it down a bit.

Bakelite - so probably early to mid 20th century.
    Not elegant so probably not for a home setting.
    Stamped with information - so it will have been made commercially.
    From the base it looks like it is intended to be fixed down which could mean it was valuable or vulnerable - I'm inclined to think the latter.
    There appear to be two separate coils so I'm thinking induction (or electromagnet) but most likely induction because of the housing. Bakelite was relatively fragile.

My gut feeling - based on nothing at all makes me think it would be used on a boat or an aircraft, which would make it part of an instrument.
  • pinno
    Bakelite - Yes.
    Early 20th Century, 1920's.
    Commercially produced.
    Home setting - Mainly !
    Induction - sort of. There are other uses of coils.
  • Could it be a very early radio?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Does it heat, or make sound?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • pinno
    Could it be a very early radio?

Close(ish)
  • looks like a ball valve of some sort, but given the seals (string ?) is it for air, rather than liquid ?
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • pinno
    looks like a ball valve of some sort, but given the seals (string ?) is it for air, rather than liquid ?

You're silly, old Hector. Think about the answer that I gave to My Grandad's Bike.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Is it upside down in the picture? Does it fix beneath something rather than on top of it?
  • A variometer?
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Something to do with Morse code?
  • A sensing unit for a direction finder? Either radio or magnetic.
  • pinno
    A variometer?

You da man - all yours. For the benefit of the viewers who tuned in, you can explain what it is.
    a device for indicating an aircraft's rate of climb or descent.
    an inductor whose total inductance can be varied by altering the relative position of two coaxial coils connected in series, or by permeability tuning, and so usable to tune an electric circuit.
    an instrument for measuring variations in the intensity of the earth's magnetic field.

In this instance I can't really confirm which one, suspect No.1 - I do know this was manufactured by The A-C Electrical Mfg. Co. Dayton Ohio and retailed at $6.75 in 1922

Which is all very well but I now have to admit that I don't know how to post photos on this god forsaken forum site, God knows I've tried, got pages and pages of material for the big girls thread and all that but all this size is to big nah de nah de nah de hah

So whoever wants to post feel free and release me from the guilt of possibly killing the thread
  • pinno
    It is a radio variometer for domestic radio's. It was used to assist tuning in a radio. A bit like a signal amplifier and could be screwed to the wall or a cabinet.

Quick lesson in posting pics MGB, then you can have a go and post an unusual object.

Any picture you select must be from a public domain. EG, Facebook, Pinterest, Flickr (slightly tricky) or any website that does not block the function (not many of them but they do exist). You cannot load one from your own file on the computer.

Find an image. Right click on image. Select 'Copy image address' in the dialogue box. Don't use the ctrl C function.

Paste the image on to the post (ctrl V) in Full editor mode. Highlight the link and click on 'Img' in the box above ^ . Select 'Preview' to see if you have Copy pasted the right link. If you 'Copy link address', you get two pages of gobbledegook.

Hey presto, you're off.

Over to you MGB.
  • pinno
    Why are we waiting...
  • Why are we waiting...

Cos' I'm not prepared to wake one of my kids up just now to help me do it!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    read the classifieds forum. There are some pretty detailed instructions in there.
  • pinno
    There's a good spiel in 'Your Road bikes' section, I think.
  • Sorry chaps, I had a bit of a go but failed again. Someone else please step in to keep the thread going and I promise not to provide a guess or answer until I've learnt how to do post a picture. :oops: