Tour of California 2014 **Spoilers**

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    "It looks like I am the most feared rider in the world. 50 guys have been told 'Hey, if Jens goes, go with him.' The other 50 guys have been told 'Don't let Jens go, whatever happens, don't let Jens go.' So I was marked by 100 riders."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    All this talk of who is going to support Froomey, you're looking too much at the obvious names. You do realise there's more options than Brad and Porte to help him on the climbs, right?

One hint: dlogar
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_n5r5i6y4kY1swtjjuo2_500.gif
    tumblr_n5r5i6y4kY1swtjjuo1_400.gif

1508574_724317787590645_5832287702610479323_n.jpg?oh=437a5b00c96ca341a2c8e94b252cf257&oe=537A62E2

Hesjedal from last year:
    tumblr_n5ro6iPksQ1swtjjuo1_400.gif
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Sir Bradley Wiggins targets Tour de France after first win of season
    Hollywood coverage. BBC Sport: creating soap opera from genuine drama.
    Matt Slater's OK. I met him once and he certainly knows his cycling.

If Wiggins does the Tour - and I expect him to - it should be in a similar role that Rogers played for him. I don't see him as the last man on climbs, more an early shredder which is a key role for Froome.

Possibly. But I think that Bertie only really has one weapon now which is the long Hail Mary lone break away. These only works if he is allowed to get away whilst everyone else looks at each other

Having the worlds third best time triallist to leave him dangling until the last 5k then reel it in would be a useful antidote in Froome's bag

Have to disagree. Contador has looked awesome this year. As long as his ITT is good and he does not lose to much time then I think he his the favourite. There is no way that Wiggins would be able to reel Contador back going uphill. If Contador has kept his form going into the tour then when he does attack Froome will have to go with him.
    I would have preferred an early ITT. It would have been interesting to see what Sky would have done if Wiggins had 2 minutes or more on Froome. I still think there is a little space in Wiggins head that says a tour win is possible. I am just not convinced that he his happy to play 2nd fiddle.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    JSCL wrote:
    All this talk of who is going to support Froomey, you're looking too much at the obvious names. You do realise there's more options than Brad and Porte to help him on the climbs, right?

One hint: dlogar

He needs more than 1 helper in the mountains, and Lopez will be one of them. He wont be a protected rider, though.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Lopez's complete lack of form last July must/might/may be a worry too. Clearly, I think, Froome would love a fully firing Porte and Lopez as his final two, maybe with Nieve 3 and Wiggins 4 (plus Henao if he's racing).
  • Richmond Racer
    Turfle wrote:
    Lopez's complete lack of form last July must/might/may be a worry too. Clearly, I think, Froome would love a fully firing Porte and Lopez as his final two, maybe with Nieve 3 and Wiggins 4 (plus Henao if he's racing).

Lopez and Kiryienka in particular did a shoot load of work on the front in the mountains in a number of races last spring. Not the case this year. Lopez was already looking tired by Romandie last year, whereas this year's race he looked like he's starting to come into form at just the right time re optimum help for Froome. Strikes me Sky have managed his build up differently this year.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    It shouldn't be about what Froome wants - what about us? We have a right to see what happens (which probably will be nothing, but still).
  • Richmond Racer
    Mechanism wrote:
    It shouldn't be about what Froome wants - what about us? We have a right to see what happens (which probably will be nothing, but still).

WE DEMAND OUR RIGHTS

:wink:
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Mechanism wrote:

WE DEMAND OUR RIGHTS

:wink:

It's quite possibly treasonous to leave a Sir out of your Tour de France team. The queen should intervene.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Brad will be there. He'll work faithfully for Froome, and we'll all get a little teary-eyed as they finally hug beneath the arc de triomphe, wives and all.
  • tuneskyline
    Turfle wrote:
    Brad will be there. He'll work faithfully for Froome, and we'll all get a little teary-eyed as they finally hug beneath the arc de triomphe, wives and all.

They will be crying. They will be crying the tears of defeat while the great Andy Schleck is crowned tour winner :lol:
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    As a total aside, are they doing the lap of the Arc de Triomphe again this year - it was spectacular in 2013?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Sir Bradley Wiggins targets Tour de France after first win of season
    Hollywood coverage. BBC Sport: creating soap opera from genuine drama.
    Matt Slater's OK. I met him once and he certainly knows his cycling.

If Wiggins does the Tour - and I expect him to - it should be in a similar role that Rogers played for him. I don't see him as the last man on climbs, more an early shredder which is a key role for Froome.

Possibly. But I think that Bertie only really has one weapon now which is the long Hail Mary lone break away. These only works if he is allowed to get away whilst everyone else looks at each other

Having the worlds third best time triallist to leave him dangling until the last 5k then reel it in would be a useful antidote in Froome's bag

second surely. He's a better TTer than Cancellara, but not at Tony Martins level.
  • Richmond Racer
    D O G wrote:
    As a total aside, are they doing the lap of the Arc de Triomphe again this year - it was spectacular in 2013?

They are. Finishing earlier though - around 1930.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    philbar72 wrote:
    second surely. He's a better TTer than Cancellara, but not at Tony Martins level.

Oh Damn and Blast!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    It's pretty difficult to say who is the best TT rider in the world at the moment. Tony Martin doesn't look as good as he did last year and I think I'm right in saying that in the only head to head they've had so far this year Wiggins beat him?
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Milton50 wrote:
    It's pretty difficult to say who is the best TT rider in the world at the moment. Tony Martin doesn't look as good as he did last year and I think I'm right in saying that in the only head to head they've had so far this year Wiggins beat him?

Historically, Wiggins has finished ahead of Martin more often than not - 16-13 in ITTs from 2009 to present, 11-6 since 2011, 9-1 since 2012 - but Martin is on top in the head-to-heads in major championships (i.e Worlds, Olympics). This may of course reflect that Wiggins has been at the sharp end of stage races while Martin has been riding in a supporting role.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Paulie W wrote:
    but Martin is on top in the head-to-heads in major championships (i.e Worlds, Olympics).

??
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ^ah - you mean 2 vs 1 in the last three years, don't you
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    ^ah - you mean 2 vs 1 in the last three years, don't you
    Yup
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    If Porte does a repeat of his Romandie ride, getting dropped on the climbs and being zero use to Froome on the uphill stuff, there is no way on earth he can be a protected rider. Jeez, you'd have to question whether he'd make the Tour team (much though Froome might throw his toys out of the pram if he doesnt go)

Been thinking that. If Porte isn't able to stay with the contenders right to the end of the climbs then there would be no point him being there. May as well give his place to someone who will do a better job on the flat / lumpy stages as there are others that can do the half way up the final climb role.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Paulie W wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Historically, Wiggins has finished ahead of Martin more often than not - 16-13 in ITTs from 2009 to present, 11-6 since 2011, 9-1 since 2012 - but Martin is on top in the head-to-heads in major championships (i.e Worlds, Olympics). This may of course reflect that Wiggins has been at the sharp end of stage races while Martin has been riding in a supporting role.

Don't forget that Martin had an awful year in 2012 with crashs (IIRC he was hit by a car too) whereas Wiggins was on the form of his life.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Yes it was all a little easy for Wiggo, but I really enjoyed this race. Certainly more so that any other stage races yet this year. The mountain top finishes were exciting, breaks stayed out, that solo win. The cannondale team busting a gut to catch the break 2 days ago... Really enjoyable stuff :)
  • Richmond Racer
    Paulie W wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Don't forget that Martin had an awful year in 2012 with crashs (IIRC he was hit by a car too) whereas Wiggins was on the form of his life.

We need a chart. Maca....?

Its going to be interesting, this year. Martin has been far from dominant in the TTs, and once Wiggins gets on a roll...which is another reason why I want to see Wiggins at the Tour. That 54km TT match-up.
  • tuneskyline
    I knocked this one up
    chart-ma-e1310370704284.png
  • Richmond Racer
    philwint wrote:
    Yes it was all a little easy for Wiggo, but I really enjoyed this race. Certainly more so that any other stage races yet this year. The mountain top finishes were exciting, breaks stayed out, that solo win. The cannondale team busting a gut to catch the break 2 days ago... Really enjoyable stuff :)

Not forgetting the Brucie bonus of some echelon action on the first day..
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I knocked this one up

That's what we've been waiting for. The undeniable proof right there. All banged to rights as far as I'm concerned. Good effort.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Turfle wrote:
    Brad will be there. He'll work faithfully for Froome, and then on a critical mountain pass in week 3 he will ride away looking over his shoulder at Froome before waving him forward and shouting 'Come on Fenton, stay with me'. When Portal goes Apes**t over the radio asking if Chris has given permission, Brad will calmly reply "That upstart Commoner can ram it". Oh and then take 2 mins out of him in the final ITT.

Fixed that for you :wink:

Not that I've given it much thought!
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • tuneskyline
    RonB wrote:
    I knocked this one up

That's what we've been waiting for. The undeniable proof right there. All banged to rights as far as I'm concerned. Good effort.

This one is for you RonB, its the universe and shows proof that shoes will become self-aware in the future

GraphingMarvelUniverse.png